Hacking Another beginner w/ initial questions. Thx!

IronSerif

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright crew, so I've been lurking the forums for about a week, and I just purchased the Crimson/Black Brain Age 2 bundle on Tuesday.

I think I've finally made the decision to get invovled in the backup & homebrewing world, and even after reading through dozens of pages I have a few questions.

The first is, which retailer would everyone suggest. First I was considering gameyeeeah.com but I believe they are outside of the US. After going through a handful of retailers I think realhotstuff.com may be my best bet. Does anyone think other wise or have any other suggestions?

Second, I have the cards narrowed down to the M3 Simply/R4, or the G6 Real. The cost difference is only a few dollars, so that's not that big of a deal (as long as the difference stays under $10). I'm not entirely sure if I care about expanding the memory or not (I say that now lol), but I can't imagine needing more than 1GB worth of storage.

Is it better to go with one or the other? I also heard some good things about the CycloDS as well, but from what I can tell they are fairly new to the scene. Is that worth taking a look into?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and thanks for all of the helpful posts!

1337Nemo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I cant help you alot, i just say: get a 3in1 with it, it has rumble, gba support and you can use the browser
wink.gif

i ordered my n-card (which also is a very good card!) on sky2k.com and i think they have a lot of other cards.. maybe you should check them out. They reply to requests fast and help you very good..

IronSerif

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for replying. I was reading reviews for the 3in1 and the EZ Flash V...seems like a pretty good deal as well but the reviews for the M3/R4 and G6 make them sound like a better bet.

Thanks for the recommendation of sky2k, I'll check them out now.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would avoid the EZ Flash cards. Their support blows and their customer service is laughable....if you try to complain about ANYTHING on their forums, they'll just delete your post and/or ban you. Real friendly and helpful, eh?

As for RealHotStuff.com....they are very reputable. They are based in New Jersey. They have good customer service and will address any complaints or concerns you may have in a timely manner. I've bought from them 4 times. In fact, I'm currently expecting 3 R4DS's from them any day now. (Heh, just checked the mail....they are here! I tested them and they work perfect) Another thing about RHS is that they test the cards before sending them to you resulting in less defective ones getting sent to people. How's that for good customer service?

The 3in1 is a good choice for a slot2 card. I would suggest either an R4DS or CycloDS Evolution for your slot1 card....a Supercard DS One isn't bad either. But that's up to you to determine which suits your preferences best.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The majority here will say get an r4. I tend to agree. It wouldn't be so popular and recommended if it was crap. That being said, I have had an r4 w/ezv 3n1 for about 6 months and have had 0 problems. I am waiting patiently for the black CycloDS Evo to come out. When it does I am all over it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would avoid the EZ Flash cards. Their support blows and their customer service is laughable....if you try to complain about ANYTHING on their forums, they'll just delete your post and/or ban you. Real friendly and helpful, eh?

Which forum would this be? I have never deleted a whining post let alone a legit one or got anyone banned save spambots and the other mods are all good people as well.

IronSerif

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for the replies.

After reading some reviews I think I'll pass on the EZ V setup. Although it sounds like a nice bundle, I am leaning towards the R4 route or even the G6.

The EZ V Bundle sounds pretty enticing, but I believe that's around the $80 mark with an included memory card.

As far as realhotstuff goes thanks for the info. I'm only a few states away from them, so that might be my best bet. I was also browsing their forums and it seems their customers have nothing but good comments.

Even though the G6 is a little bit more expensive, is it really worth the extra money? I read that they include the ability to use the cheat codes but I'm not 100% sure how often I will use them, if I use them at all.

Even though earlier I mentioned that the expandable memory isn't a big deal, I'm starting to wonder if I really like the idea of having a memory reader exclusively for the G6. Where as the R4 uses MicroSD, I can use any MicroSD reader (keep one in my laptop bag, one by home computer, etc). Sounds like that option is a bit more flexible.

K

KaliKot

The EZ bundle is a good deal although it doesnt include a stupid USB adapter for you SD...how lame

I would recommend dealextreme as they almost always have the lowest prices and GASP! FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!

although you have to wait a while for your product (2 weeks average)

The Cyclo is too expensive for me, but yeah they have juicy features which hopefully the r4 will have one day

IronSerif

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as the retailers go I think I'm going with either Dealextreme or realhotstuff.

Dealextreme does have the lower prices and the free shipping, but I spoke with a rep and he said that both the G6 ad R4 are out of stock.

R4 seems to be sold out at realhotstuff but they do have the G6. Shipping shouldn't take too long since I'm only a few states away.

I think I'm going to pass on the Cyclo as well, a little to expensive.

Upas

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'd go for a CycloDS with EZ 3 in 1 expansion from RealHotStuff.

The R4 is a great cart, they CycloDS is just better. It has full download play support, including wii connectivity. Also, CycloDS has an amazing customer support team.

I think Iwakura has said it before, but for reasons which you can't really understand until you've bought one, I prefer the CycloDS much more.

Its only $10 more, and supports SDHC too. So no limit, like on the G6 real, and you can use 4 GB+ cards.

Upas

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iwakura said:
I like the cycloDS evo much better for reasons I can't seem to express in words. I've been to their forums since it opened, I've been in contact with their team, I thoroughly know the cycloDS. Unfortunately, the R4 isnt that easy to talk with the developers about, but I do know pretty much every function there. Overall, I'd just say that the CycloDS evo is better. While the R4 team is very devoted to getting you the updates and etc you want, they are mostly trying to catch up with the cyclods.

its just my 2 cents.

Heres what iwakura said, and I agree completely.

IronSerif

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after doing more research, and calling realhotstuff.com to confirm inventory and shipping information, I went ahead and ordered the G6.

Used DHL as shipping service, placed order around 3pm EST today, and item was shipped and is schedule to arrive at the office tomorrow!

Can't wait to start diving in and testing out.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, it was appreciated
smile.gif

EDIT: The G6 arrived at my desk at 9am this morning, how awesome is that. Used regular ground shipping through DHL. Worked out perfectly!

Can't wait to get home and start playing!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr