Anonymous, freedom fighters or techno anarchists?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by bazamuffin, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bazamuffin
    OP

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    This has been touched on in one or two PS3 forums due to the recent unstable activity of PSN. Some of you feel that Anon are out to hurt the "legit PS3 users" where as others such as myself feel that there is a bigger picture and see why they are doing it. Some also say that its a coincidence that PSN went down within 24 hours of Anon's video message to Sony.

I generally feel that with the seemingly increasing amount of censorship, we need people like Anon. They hit Graf and Geohot, so Anon are fighting back. I want to know (for whatever reason) what you think about Anon's activity

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    All Anonymous does is DDoS attacks. They don't really do shit.

Edit: Anybody who gives in from these pathetic script kiddy "attacks" deserves to be ridiculed.

3. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    Its not about what they do, its why they do it and how it affects the corps

4. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    ...And what they do ISN'T, and most likely NEVER will affect any corporation.

I don't see why they'd defend such arrogant, selfish people like Geohotz, just because he's trying to defend PS3 owners' rights to do whatever they want with their consoles. And I mean, come on, we know he did what he did for piracy, not the BS reasons he gave.

5. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    You sure about that? He never enabled piracy......a patch later from someone else did......

I think he just did it cause he could....

They affected anyone who wants to be a black guy with a suit and a afro in hablo hotel.....cause you get banned for that now [​IMG]

6. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sony have been sending chargeable repair units back with OFW on when they were received with Linux (no backup managers). Those people didn't ask for that to be done. If Sony had a problem with it they should just have refused the repair rather than taking the users money and re-altering the FW. This is part of why Anon are doing what they are.

As for "And what they do ISN'T, and most likely NEVER will affect any corporation", I highly disagree. Sony (amongst others) are seriously seeking to expose and take down Anon. Do you go to that effort if something doesn't affect you, or do you carry on and let the "script kiddies" have their playtime? Knowledge is power, these guys have it. We just don't know exactly how much power they have. You never break out your big guns on first attacks

7. Stewy12

Member Stewy12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The twats say that they aren't going to be attacking the PSN anymore if a post on PSX-Scene is to be believed......

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/anonymous-s...-surface-84536/

8. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    To bad that Anon can be you or me, its quiet easy to join their raids. Thats the whole purpose of them! Anonymous is like a union, the bigger it is, the stronger it is!

9. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    So, what is your stance then? Your use of the word "twats" could be read either way

10. Stewy12

Member Stewy12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    My stance is that they are indeed a bunch of twats, nothing more nothing less.

11. Sop

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    Aren't Anons the "cool" people on 4chan?

12. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure that the 4chan thing is true. I think they were given that tag to make them appear more stupid than they are. They have thus far been able to avoid identification

13. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I think you've just proven yourself as a person we can't take seriously in this thread. Especially if you don't even know the whole thing with his hack.

14. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

15. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Well I think they are the Iluminati of the internet.
    They seem so secret...so suspicious.

16. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    It appears so, good on 'em. The only way the corps can stop these guys being a P.I.T.A (for now) is a kill switch. Right now, Anon have the upper hand as there is more they can do to the corps than vice versa. As long as their ID's remain unknown the shift will stay as is.

17. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    My take on the group (currently)?

Bored.

My impression is that we're dealing with a lot of youth angst using claims of noble causes as an excuse to express that angst. If any professed member of Anonymous cared deeply about free speech, they wouldn't hide behind a screen name and attempt to censor speech of another. And that's precisely what they're doing. By shutting down Sony networks, they're silencing them. If a child hits another child, do you teach that child not to hit by hitting them?

I encourage protest -- trust me I do. But Anonymous are slowly (or perhaps quickly) edging toward becoming a public enemy. The truth doesn't need to be defended; it cannot be snuffed out. If there is truth is their cause, it will shine through. All I'm seeing is a little bully attempting to take on a bigger bully. Meh...I've got reality TV for that.

There is one thing that bothers me, though, about the group. Like a child who finds his daddy's gun, there is power in the hands of Anonymous that is being wielded without a full appreciation of the possible consequences.

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Basically they just find a random cause that's not all that relevant and ride it for no real reason.

We've got a lot of shit in the world. Discrimination, genocide, bad shit in general. But instead of rallying to support a cause that helps against the serious issues in the world, what do they do? Attack Scientology and Sony.

Scientology may be a stupid religion (I'm usually not all that critical of religious beliefs but this one is pretty silly) but hey, if you want to waste your money on it, then go waste your money on it. If you're a dumb enough idiot to believe that we came from a galactic federation or whatever and you're not wearing an Ensign's uniform then you have all the right to throw your money at whatever you damn please.

And this whole Sony issue. I don't think that their extreme measures to prevent hacking of their systems is exactly ethical, even if George Hotz is a smug prick and deserves a thorough spanking (not in a good way). If you REALLY don't like it, boycott the system. They've got an upcoming system (the NGP). Boycott that and get your friends to boycott that. I personally don't care and will buy a NGP the first chance I get, but if you think what Sony's doing is absolutely terrible, then boycott. You want to send a message? Aim for their pockets. Acting like a bunch of kids and threatening them with DDoS attacks won't get you anywhere. If anything it'll make the opposition to Sony's stance on this whole thing look bad. Sony could easily spin this to make people afraid of "hackers" in general and this Hotz thing won't exactly be a fair tug of war.

In the end the Anonymous don't really do much. Maybe they've got the man power but they hardly use it wisely or use it for the right causes. I'll restate what I said before: There's a lot of shit in the world, and I think that issues such as Scientology and Sony v. Hotz are way down on the list.

19. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Personally I think they are just self-righteous immature 4chaners who need to stop jerking off to dick chicks, stop trying to push their one-sided options on everyone, and just need to get out of their mother's basement to see the real world.

20. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    I think they're quite the reverse. I think it takes balls to do what they're doing, plus they advertise what they're going to do in advance. I don't think they're pushing their opinions an anyone, apart from Sony of course. Again, this is only a debate and I want to hear as many views as possible on the subject. Less of the Scientology though please [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.