solace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
super-mario-theme-park.jpg

It was November of 2017 when Wall Street Journal made a report that stated "Nintendo was nearing a deal with Minions and Despicable Me studio Illumination Entertainment to make an animated Super Mario movie." Now, President of Nintendo Tatsumi Kimishima has said that the company will soon be able to officially announce the partner for the film, which still remains officially unannounced.

Wall Street Journal's report also said that Nintendo was planning to have a creative role in the making of the movie, and that Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto (the legend himself) will potentially serve as a producer. Miyamoto has some experience in the film industry, even releasing a series of Pikmin shorts in the Summer of 2015.

Recently reported by Game Informer, Kimishima told the very popular Japanese newspaper, Kyoto Shimbun, that Nintendo is hoping to reach a deal sooner or later, if everything all goes correctly, they should be able to officially announce the Super Mario Movie not long after that. The main idea is for the movie to be in cinemas just before the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

There was a time when movie subscription service Netflix was hoping to pair with nintendo to create a Netflix original Legend of Zelda cartoon, sadly this never made it to production.

Nintendo has said in the past that they are looking for more licensing deals, as for why, Kimishima stated mid 2016 that as time goes on, lesser youths are finding out about Nintendo games through games alone. Instead, the little tackers are discovering their games through products like the officially licensed Mario toys and toothbrushes. So we can apparently expect these kinds of licensing deals to increase.

Lets just take a moment to pray to our lord and saviour that this up and coming movie wont be as terrible as "The Super Mario Bros." movie...

Here is the original https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/r...mated-mario-movie-with-studio-behind-minions/

Last edited by solace,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I expect this to be great. It's hard to pull off a good game-based movie, but it can be done. After all this time of Nintendo not licensing out their characters to movie studios, I doubt they are going to risk the movie flopping. They will make sure it's good before it gets released.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On one hand, animated movies tend to be good...

On another, not Illumination's. I do hope Nintendo makes sure it's not filled with toilet humor or twerking Koopa Troopas.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
On one hand, animated movies tend to be good...

On another, not Illumination's. I do hope Nintendo makes sure it's not filled with toilet humor or twerking Koopa Troopas.
I disagree, Despicable Me was a fantastic movie with several themes (and Steve Carrell), it was never only about dumb humor. IMO they'll be able to animate environments for a Mario movie well, and it's not like the storylines in Mario games are hard to live up to if we're being honest.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except there was a bit more information after riley's report.
Where was there more info? If there was something new to report about the movie then you should have used that new info and cited the article with the new info, not just make a writeup on a two month old article that didn't contribute anything new. I don't mind if you're going to report on some new info on the story, just next time write mainly about the new stuff, cite updated sources and put an [update] tag in the title of the article. If your going to just report old news that already has been reported about then it's better not to report it at all.

Last edited by rileysrjay,
Reactions: smileyhead

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree, Despicable Me was a fantastic movie with several themes (and Steve Carrell), it was never only about dumb humor. IMO they'll be able to animate environments for a Mario movie well, and it's not like the storylines in Mario games are hard to live up to if we're being honest.
Despicable Me was fine, but the minions on another hand...

Reactions: rileysrjay

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least this movie will be animated. Maybe that is a sign it will be good and better than the old mario movie.

Animated by Illumination: If Pixar is like a fancy dinner, Dreamworks is like a standard homemade meal that you didn't have enough time to put in everything you'd like, and Illumination is the TV dinner.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is interesting how the old Mario movie was "the shit" back in the '90s; not a single person ripped on it then. The proliferation of the internet turned it into a "terrible" movie that requires the appeasement of the supernatural.

That said, I do hope the new one will be more like the actual games.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It is interesting how the old Mario movie was "the shit" back in the '90s; not a single person ripped on it then. The proliferation of the internet turned it into a "terrible" movie that requires the appeasement of the supernatural.

That said, I do hope the new one will be more like the actual games.
What are you on about? It was ripped into back then too.

It sure as hell wasn't a box office hit.. Only bringing in less than half of the budget.

Last edited by Kioku,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise