ROM Hack Animal Crossing New Leaf: Updated game won't boot?

samedifference

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I tried getting the latest update for Animal Crossing on my 3DS. I connected to the eShop via ctr-httpwn, and the update was downloaded and installed successfully. However, launching the game from the home menu simply presents me with the Nintendo 3DS splash animation, and it gets stuck there. I've also attempted to boot the game through region-free card launcher, which unfortunately just hangs my system on a black screen. Is there any way around this problem? I'm currently using a New3DS, on OFW 9.9.0-26U

DeadlyEdge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I tried getting the latest update for Animal Crossing on my 3DS. I connected to the eShop via ctr-httpwn, and the update was downloaded and installed successfully. However, launching the game from the home menu simply presents me with the Nintendo 3DS splash animation, and it gets stuck there. I've also attempted to boot the game through region-free card launcher, which unfortunately just hangs my system on a black screen. Is there any way around this problem? I'm currently using a New3DS, on OFW 9.9.0-26U

Do you use RxTools?

samedifference

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not currently using any CFW, as I only have menuhax and ironhax installed on my system. Updating's definitely something I wouldn't want to do, and after searching around a bit, it seems I have no choice but to downgrade at this point, is a9lh a good choice? I just want the ability to run emulators and play games that need newer FW.

DeadlyEdge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not currently using any CFW, as I only have menuhax and ironhax installed on my system. Updating's definitely something I wouldn't want to do, and after searching around a bit, it seems I have no choice but to downgrade at this point, is a9lh a good choice? I just want the ability to run emulators and play games that need newer FW.

Yes A9LH + Luma.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://plailect.github.io/Guide/ would set you up with custom firmware through arm9loaderhax.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks for clearing this up. The guide seems quite user-friendly enough.
It's gone through many changes since I set mine up in April of this year, and has gotten MUCH easier. Took me 20 minutes instead of 4 hours.

samedifference

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've reached this point in the guide, and I'm sort of nervous to proceed:
All variations of sysUpdater, not just sysDowngrader, have a very small chance of causing a “soft brick” once the downgrade is complete and the device reboots. This will cause the system to boot directly to the Nintendo error screen instructing users to power off the device.

The reason for this is unknown, but can be prevented by performing a system format before downgrading. It seems to happen very often on systems with ambassador status or who have DSiWare installed.

Once this error happens, it can only be fixed by using recovery mode (A + R + L + Up on the D-Pad) to update to the latest system version.
Has anyone followed this step (and what are the consequences for not?) It seems like I would have to, seeing as I have DSiWare installed. The problem I have with this is that I don't want to lose my data/NNID settings. It would also require me to completely re-install my entry-point for homebrew launcher. Although it's better to be safe than sorry, I suppose.

Last edited by samedifference,

Plaguereign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your entry point will be permanent once you have a9lh, so no worries. Follow the guide and then you can re-download the stuff you bought from the eshop. It really is worth the time it takes because you then have a system that cn do just about anything. My first time installing a9lh I had to compile everything myself, so this is an easy YES in my book!

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Your entry point will be permanent once you have a9lh, so no worries. Follow the guide and then you can re-download the stuff you bought from the eshop. It really is worth the time it takes because you then have a system that cn do just about anything. My first time installing a9lh I had to compile everything myself, so this is an easy YES in my book!
And when all is said and done, you should have your sysnand re-injected and fully updated to 11.2.

samedifference

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've followed through to the end of the guide, and it was a complete success. It's safe to just update my console through "System Update" after everything?

Reactions: Jayro

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've followed through to the end of the guide, and it was a complete success. It's safe to just update my console through "System Update" after everything?
Once you have a CFW, you are safe to update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs