Animal Crossing New Leaf save corrupted on Gateway?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nurio, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Nurio
    OP

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Has this happened to anyone else here? I have been playing Animal Crossing New Leaf for some time now and today, without thinking, I closed the game without saving.
    I thought, no biggy, I would've lost around an hour of gameplay. Too bad, but oh well.
    But instead, when I started up the game again, expecting a message that I shouldn't close the game without saving, instead I am greeted by the message that my save has been corrupted and will be deleted. What!?
    To be honest, I am quite disturbed and frustrated right now. Animal Crossing is not the kind of game where you easily start over and get back to the point you were. (In fact, to get the exact same town again, it's almost impossible.)

So... My question again. Has this ever happened to anyone? Is this 'expected' behavior from the Gateway card? Does this happen to the retail version too? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

(EDIT: inb4 a thread about this already exists. I did search, but I couldn't find anything again.)

EDIT: And I might as well ask here what I've always wanted to ask...
    Does Animal Crossing require that whole .3dz thing to go online and visit other people and get visitors? And is there a downside to the .3dz thing? Like, is there a reason I shouldn't do it?

2. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Never happened to me with Animal Crossing or any other game. This is not expected behavior, atleast I don't recall this ever happening for retail Animal Crossing. I've heard about something similar for Pokemon Y and saving in Lumiose city streets but that is in retail too.

You should check:
    1. That your microSD is 100% valid, use sdcard check tools like h2testw
    2. Check the contacts of your GW card. You might have had a bad contact

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Ok some extra points, would you happen to of trimmed them rom at all? Animal crossing should not be trimmed if you have or you will indeed loose your save

Also the downside of switching to .3dz is that you will loose your save if you played as .3ds (and yeah .3dz is required for online play)
    ...........so now might be a nice time to switch

4. Nurio
    OP

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Testing the MicroSD now. I doubt it's the GW contacts, since it has always worked without a single problem and I've had it for a long time now.
    On the one hand, it's good to know this isn't expected behavior, but on the other hand it only makes it more frustrating I've been hit by a random bug.

5. Nurio
    OP

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Nope. Haven't trimmed, but the thought has crossed my mind on occasion. ...Maybe it auto-trimmed?
    And yeah, I knew about losing the save. (Or rather, the save becoming invalid) That's why I was considering switching to .3dz

6. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Bad Rom dump? I'm sorry man. That must suck

7. Nurio
    OP

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Thanks. That might be it. Anyway, I am going to start anew, with a new ROM.

8. skitariister

skitariister Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2013
    United States
    Happened to me with Dual Destinies. Didn't allow for me to use someone else's save either....

9. Nurio
    OP

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Aww... I hope you didn't lose too much progress...

By the way! I heard there's a tool to extract card2 savegames, but I can't find this tool on the forums. Searching gave, again, no useful results.
    Sorry for being such a dependent noob right now... =P

10. klim28

klim28 Hunter4Life

Jul 24, 2010
    LocLac village...
    Not with animal crossing. My mh3u file corrupted like 4x already

11. skitariister

skitariister Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2013
    United States

Happened to me just as I finished the game, so I guess it's okay that I don't have to redo anything.

I am not sure of the tool...sorry!

12. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    You can find the tool on the pokemon saves thread.

Nurio likes this.
  13. Nurio
    OP

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Thank you. Found it.