ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf | Population: Growing!

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
Well sounds and such are clientside in pokemon too and people still have gotten banned. But in the end its up to you, live and learn i guess.
Again, they were using cia and public headers. No one ever got banned with HANS and/or private headers... Maybe if you use pokémons with stats 999 in tournaments they would ban you, but otherwise you're safe with HANS or a private header. no doubts

Reactions: Hoppy and Reserved

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. Alright, I've run into a problem. I don't really know what I was expecting, but the Suspension Bridge (or any bridge) doesn't have collisions at the end of it. This means that when incomplete, used as a fishing dock, you can simply walk off it into the river. This looks quite glitch-y, allows Villagers to walk off into the river, and can't simply be fixed through some collision type thing as it'd cause desyncs online. Does anybody have any suggestions for how to resolve this problem? At the moment, the only thing I can think of is using fully grown bamboo to block off the ending of the bridge, then decorating around that to make it look normal. Maybe one of the tree variations, iunno. I don't think the collisions of a bush would reach up there, sadly.

edit: After a bit of testing, the two main things that can add collisions without being obtrusive is the Bamboo (Growing 2) and Rocks. I've only tested Rock (5) so far, but I'm assuming they all have double collisions. Things like Bamboo (Growing 3) or Bamboo (Fully Grown) work, too, but they stick out like a sore thumb. Bamboo (Growing 2) or the different Rocks are probably the best bet to block it off, as they're unobtrusive, and can fit the lake's theme depending on how you style it.

There are some things I have not tested yet, however, such as bushes. I'll update with that soon.

edit2: alright, good news. bushes, rocks and bamboo (growing 2) are all incredibly good substitutes to block off the ending. personally, i recommend using rocks as they tuck themselves under the bridge rather than in front of it, but you can use whatever you'd like to spruce up the area. still haven't tested the other rocks, but rock (5) seems to be the best.

Last edited by Reserved,

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After messing around with it a bit more today, there's more problems. I guess I wasn't thinking because of how late it was, but when the game loads a new day, a couple disruptions happen...

The first is that anything that has the "Growing" tag will actually grow. I just assumed that, being placed manually, it wouldn't actually proceed, but it does. This means that after a day, Bamboo (Growing 2) ends up being a full one, and sticks out. The second is that, for unknown reason, the rocks disappear. I don't know why this happens. This seems to be the case whenever a rock is placed in the river. Bushes, however, are short enough that they won't interfere with fishing and don't off themselves. The only problem is that they don't really look... amazing. They don't stick out like crazy, but they don't really look right.

If anybody has some ideas, post 'em. I don't know of any other place-able objects that have collisions, so we might be stuck with bushes. It doesn't look terrible, but it isn't the most preferable one, either.

It should be noted that I haven't tested the whole "rock-in-river" in a fresh town. My current testing town had no rocks as of placing, so that might be interfering with something...? I tried placing a ton of other rocks, but they all went away, too.

---

Also, if anybody is good at looping music, pls halp. I'm disgustingly bad at it, so I'm having trouble getting anything done regarding that portion of the mod. I have all the files, conversion methods, etc. but looping is killing me ;w;

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tree stumps and cut bamboo both won't work, they're too short. Even then, tree stumps allow players to sit on them and then go into the river anyways.

MasterLel

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
The rocks and bushes disappears the next day when they're near a building and things like that, so it's normal. I guess you can fix this with rom hacking

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bushes don't disappear when they're in the river, only rocks.

I don't know where we'd start, but if we could find out how to make the rocks stay, then I'd implement it in. Considering we're talking about the town's data, it should still appear properly online for everybody else, too.

MasterLel

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
I think the rocks can't stay in water to avoid glitches with the daily breakable rocks, like a rock spawning in the middle of the river and stuff like that...

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I think the rocks can't stay in water to avoid glitches with the daily breakable rocks, like a rock spawning in the middle of the river and stuff like that...
Another thing relating. You can't put these items near the train station in certain areas. Same deal.

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooh, that makes sense.

I'm guessing the reason they can stay on the beach is because it's considered a separate part of town.

Guess we'll have to stick with bushes. Not the most preferable look, but I'm sure we can find a way to decorate the lake to make it look nice.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't un-roll the world, there's really no need for that. Having a separate camera movement to confine the player into separate acres is kinda stupid, to be honest. I liked how the generation and all that went with acres, but having the camera locked and sliding is unpleasant.
I meant the fact that the world curves, not the locked camera and acres. Un-rolling it would just mean that it looks flat like the GC version, but the camera stays with you (I think large buildings like the museum do this)
Dialogue is already planned to be changed, so cranky Villagers will once again be cranky.
That sounds awesome. Nothing like staying up till 2 A.M. bugging chuck! (I miss chuck)

Reactions: Reserved

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooohhhh...

I'm sure camera movement is kept in a separate file, so it might be possible to simply copy the one from the Museum into the overworld. It should be noted that the Museum uses the same camera as the homes, as you can change the angle.

By the way, do you know anything about fixing the ocean boundaries from the acre changes? I think I tagged you in the ram thread.

MasterLel

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
The museum is not the overworld you know, not the same thing, it might not be that easy to add the camera into the overworld. And also I think that the camera thing is in exefs, not romfs.
Try to add the camera feature into some buildings first, should be easier

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooohhhh...

I'm sure camera movement is kept in a separate file, so it might be possible to simply copy the one from the Museum into the overworld. It should be noted that the Museum uses the same camera as the homes, as you can change the angle.

By the way, do you know anything about fixing the ocean boundaries from the acre changes? I think I tagged you in the ram thread.
I'm not sure how the boundaries work, probably something in ASM with a variable that tells what side the ocean was on

About the camera thing, that might not be too easy, again, it's probably ASM (I know there's NTR debugger, but I don't think its got a breakpoint function iirc)

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how the boundaries work, probably something in ASM with a variable that tells what side the ocean was on

About the camera thing, that might not be too easy, again, it's probably ASM (I know there's NTR debugger, but I don't think its got a breakpoint function iirc)
Yeah, I'd like to find out how the boundaries work but I'm wondering if the entire ocean is controlled by one variable, so it'd be impossible to individually set each side to have nothing.

Also, I mixed up the files from RtDL and New Leaf, so I ended up thinking all the camera stuff was tucked into a folder, lol.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd like to find out how the boundaries work but I'm wondering if the entire ocean is controlled by one variable, so it'd be impossible to individually set each side to have nothing.

Also, I mixed up the files from RtDL and New Leaf, so I ended up thinking all the camera stuff was tucked into a folder, lol.
on the contrary, if you found that variable, it would be easy to find the code that controls it, assuming we have a good debugger with breakpoints.
I still think the cliffs on both sides is worth it, despite the minor drawbacks

Reactions: Reserved

Jarrad

Trophies
XP
Country
Well sounds and such are clientside in pokemon too and people still have gotten banned. But in the end its up to you, live and learn i guess.
You can only get banned if you're caught actively hacking online (ie through MK7 or something) OR have a hacked ROM, evident through your header.

If you use a legit CIA rom instead of a flashcard rom or normal CIA then it'll be impossible for you to be banned by using a rom hack such as this.

There's a legit cia for acnl so as long as you use that you'll have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Deleted User

Jarrad

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not really a modder or hacker so I don't know if I can help much. I thought I'd give you my ideas (you've all probably already thought of these things).

-Changing the "achievement" tune (the short tune that plays when you catch a fish, bug or dig up a fossil) back to the GC one
-Replace the island theme with the island theme from GC (thought this could have been forgotten about)
-Change the title screen theme (if that's even possible)
-Remake the game menu image (the one that shows on the home menu) to said title
- If there was some way to alter your town layouts automatically so they resemble GC/WW/CF layouts more, so something that gets rid of the side beach and railway bridge and replaces them with the cliffs/tunnel

May I also suggest using themes from earlier games, so like Wild world for special holidays or areas which doesn't have an original population growing theme? So for example having the Wild world title theme as the new mainstreet theme or like the city folk city theme instead (that way there's a night and day version).

Idk, I just feel as though this mod would be 10x better if it integrated different music for themes which didn't exist in the original.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and...