ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf | Population: Growing!

phamafy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I am new to rom hacks and stuff: What does HANS stand for and how do i copy the files to my game? I am really confused rn

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it's possible, so I can't make any guarantees, but I'd like to revert the personality dialogue to that of the GCN version. If possible, I'd also like to include the "Do you need help with anything?" option back in, but I'm sure that'd be too difficult. Otherwise, I may improve the chance of errand-type things like the delivery errands, hide-and-seek, fruit picking, etc. to give the player a bit more to do.

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it's possible, so I can't make any guarantees, but I'd like to revert the personality dialogue to that of the GCN version. If possible, I'd also like to include the "Do you need help with anything?" option back in, but I'm sure that'd be too difficult. Otherwise, I may improve the chance of errand-type things like the delivery errands, hide-and-seek, fruit picking, etc. to give the player a bit more to do.
Will this be worth starting a new adventure, or should I just keep my current town?

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I would love to help, but I'm not sure what you would need. (I am a semi-noob at rom hacks)

Returnofganon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will dump my ACNL game tonight and look into the files tomorrow (If I remember ;) )

(Btw 100th post!)

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this be worth starting a new adventure, or should I just keep my current town?
I'd wait until a more fleshed out version is released. The general goal is to replace the music, which will not interfere with any existing data or be something you're going to miss out on from having an existing save. However, when I move into GCN styled towns and dialogue, then probably.

I can do physical labor, like converting mp3's to bctsm and dumping music from the GCN version. :P
This would be really helpful! However, I'd ask that you convert the lossless audio files (ie: wav/flac) to get maximum quality. When you say "dumping music from the GCN version", do you mean literally taking them out and converting them into usable files?

If you can do that, I'd love it if you could get the 1PM theme and Title Screen theme so I can see if directly dumped files have proper volume.

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
This would be really helpful! However, I'd ask that you convert the lossless audio files (ie: wav/flac) to get maximum quality. When you say "dumping music from the GCN version", do you mean literally taking them out and converting them into usable files?

If you can do that, I'd love it if you could get the 1PM theme and Title Screen theme so I can see if directly dumped files have proper volume.
Sorry to ask twice, I think my original comment may have been overlooked but I would be happy to do this as well.
I just need to know how to convert to bctsm and then I can handle all the missing songs. I already have the OST handy.

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm...

As I'd like to keep all the music within the same quality/volume, may I ask where you downloaded your OST? Is it .wav/.flac/some other lossless audio format? (is .wav lossless...?) The current music most likely has to be re-done to up the volume, so it'd be better to do it in a higher quality.

If you don't, I'll go try and fetch a .flac OST so we can use that to get the music from.

Also:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-brstm-bcstm-conversion-tool-beta.378702/

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link. Thought I had wav (which I believe is lossless) but it turns out it was mp3. I can hunt down a flac copy, though.

We should be able to coordinate as long as I know the percent of amplification you apply on the redone tracks. The way it is now, it's decently audible in-game but I guess it could stand to be a little louder...

Returnofganon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im currently copying the dumped rom to my pc, I can edit it today after school. I was thinking it would be cool if we could somehow replace the models in acnl with those in population growing. (I don't think that it would look too good though!) Or at the least remove any villagers that weren't in the original game.

[Edit] Looks like it is copying a lot faster than I had originally thought (Less than a gig) I will try to document where what models are located ie furniture / villagers will be back with an update soonish

Last edited by Returnofganon,

Returnofganon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Edit] Most of these files are in obvious places (Clearly labeled)

Romfs/Fg/Bcres/ seems to just be full of textures for outdoors stuff (IE flowers/trees)
[Edit] Also has textures for items when dropped

Romfs/Fish
Romfs/Insect
Both have what they sound like, textures for fish and insects

Romfs/Item Textures for items (Ie furniture) Also has artwork for music covers and the villagers pictures

Romfs/Npc/Normal/Model villagers that can move into houses in town (Ie Tangy) (Textures)
Romfs/Npc/Special/Model villagers that run shops or other things (Ie Tom Nook) (Textures)

Romfs/PadReplay From the names of the files, looks to me like some e3 demo nintendo did, (possibly a town?) had gardenreplay.bin files (Like garden.dat)

Romfs/Player Has player models/textures inside

Romfs/Strc/dobj Textures for shops (?)
Romfs/Strc/fobj PWP textures (Bingo!)
Romfs/Strc/hobj House Textures
Romfs/Strc/sobj Special area textures (?)

Romfs/Vrbox Textures for sky

There are lots of other folders with small amounts of textures/data in them that I didn't list. (I just opened all the files in Ohana3ds to see textures, I didn't see any models but I am probably just stupid and skipped them by accident :P)

Last edited by Returnofganon,

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link. Thought I had wav (which I believe is lossless) but it turns out it was mp3. I can hunt down a flac copy, though.

We should be able to coordinate as long as I know the percent of amplification you apply on the redone tracks. The way it is now, it's decently audible in-game but I guess it could stand to be a little louder...
Nice quad post, lol

I've been hunting for .flac and .wav but I can't find it. All the other Animal Crossing games have it except for the first, from what I've found.

Also, the reason the volume needs to be re-done is because the tracks came from multiple sources, so the amplification is different. I can't give you any numbers until we find a .flac OST to use. If we can't, we can try creating a list of the songs we'd like and I can try to extract them from the actual game myself.

---

In other news, all the dialogue is found. If somebody can create a proper .umsbt editor, then I can put in all the Population: Growing! dialogue for existing personalities. To make this process smoother, I'd copy all the dialogue and their locations in one document, then go in-game and find the GCN dialogue that shares the same context.

Also, the Population: Growing! styled towns are doing well at the moment, I just need to find out how to replace the east/west ocean acres with the cliff, then try to incorporate the bridge into that to make sure everything looks normal.

The biggest goal of this project is that things are properly communicated between players who have the mods and don't have the mods. I want everything to look normal and interact the same way regardless of whether you're in a modded or unmodded town. For example, I won't be bringing any old Villagers back, changing the aesthetic of clothing, etc. as it will look different in online play for those who don't have the mods. To replicate old GCN shirts and things of that sort, I can use workarounds like Able Sisters' designs.

Returnofganon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything I could do? Im not too good with programming but I could help editing models. I was thinking what if there were two versions of the mod, a full and a lite version. The lite would change dialog and town creation while the full one would change the villagers, dialog, towns, goals/tasks, maybe even the facial expressions of the player.(I don't think it would be too hard to add horns back to the hats :) )

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything I could do? Im not too good with programming but I could help editing models. I was thinking what if there were two versions of the mod, a full and a lite version. The lite would change dialog and town creation while the full one would change the villagers, dialog, towns, goals/tasks, maybe even the facial expressions of the player.(I don't think it would be too hard to add horns back to the hats :) )
Maybe! At the moment, I'm only going to stick with what I have planned, however.

Question for those who are into music stuff, maybe @nastys

I can't find .flac, .wav, or anything other than .mp3 for the OST with Animal Crossing. I'm going to look into ripping the music directly later on, but in the case that isn't possible, does .mp3 have any actual difference on the 3DS' speakers?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad to see someone picking this up. Id contribute the music, but it seems all the songs I had are already done (plus mine were a little quiet, and I didn't want to redo them all). I'd suggest removing the flocky in the textures, that gives it that "new leaf look" so then it should be smooth like the previous AC games.
Also, if anyone figures out how to un-roll the world, that'd be sweet, maybe there's code in how the camera displays inside buildings (which are not rolled). (maybe we can have actual cranky villagers instead of these polite ones). Anyways, good luck!

@Reserved I used a USF rip, and had it convert to WAV with winamp. This was only good for songs that were in animal forest on n64 (most of them I believe)

Last edited by froggestspirit,

Reserved

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do plan on releasing a separate variant of the mod that removes the rim lighting, flocks texture, whatever the heck it is that makes it appear more "detailed". I won't un-roll the world, there's really no need for that. Having a separate camera movement to confine the player into separate acres is kinda stupid, to be honest. I liked how the generation and all that went with acres, but having the camera locked and sliding is unpleasant.

Dialogue is already planned to be changed, so cranky Villagers will once again be cranky.

I'm gonna look into the ISO for GCN's AC in a bit, hopefully that yields results...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it