Animal Crossing: New Horizons sets record for best single game launch on the Nintendo Switch

tCwmOzm.png

Animal Crossing: New Horizons hasn't even been out for a full week, yet the game is already setting records. Japanese magazine Famitsu and sales tracker Media Crate have reported their preliminary sales results for the latest entry into the Animal Crossing series, claiming that the game sold over 1.88 million physical copies alone, in its first three days on the market. Included in that figure is the standalone game itself, pre-order cards, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons Switch bundles that were sold on store shelves in Japan. In the UK, the game had just as much success, surpassing launch sales for all previous Animal Crossing games, combined. For comparison, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate managed 1.2 million sales in its first three days in Japan, while New Horizons sold 3.5 times more than its predecessor New Leaf. It also has the highest launch sales of any Switch game, technically, beating out Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield, though not outperforming both Pokemon titles when combined together.

Considering the unreported digital sales numbers, it's easy to guess that the true sales for the game are even more impressive, especially with the advent of COVID-19 occurring worldwide, pushing consumers to refrain from getting physical media at this time. Sales of Nintendo Switch systems are also up, pushing the hardware numbers up to 392,576 units shifted this week, which is more sales than the console's launch week in March 2017 (~330,000).

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People I know from college and highschool, who as far as I understood didn't even like Nintendo, have been posting about the game all over social media.

It's been wild. I think the timing of the virus with the the school closures, countrywide shutdowns and mandatory quarantine have really left people itching for something to occupy their time.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: DANTENDO

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My girlfriend, who has never played an Animal Crossing game in her life, saw me playing this game after she bought it for me as a gift and also something to do while I was recovering the flu. She decided to give it a try and she now owns a copy of her own and surpassed me in how much progress she has made. This is a pretty amazing game and I am glad it's getting so much love. My entire feed on Facebook and Twitter is just Animal Crossing, some Doom Eternal (mostly mixed with Animal Crossing memes,) and covid-19 memes.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
If I'm not mistaken... the picture says:

ATSUMARE - DOUBUTSU NO MORI

The fuck ATSUMARE means?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What the fucking fuck?

"GATHER!" or "ASSEMBLE!"
sorry i didnt see it's been answered already.

Last edited by altorn,
Reactions: JuanMena

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8