ROM Hack Discussion Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- Reverse Engineering, Glitches, Bugs, etc. thread!

DesuIsSparta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Join our Discord server!
Thread Rules:
- Please try reading the other replies or using the forum's search function before asking a question. Most likely, your question has been answered.
- Avoid asking about "will I get banned if ___ " questions because as of right now, nobody knows. Nintendo sends a lot of information from your game to their servers, but it's unclear how that information is used.

Hello everyone,

Given that the game has released in some parts of the world and officially releases in a few days, I'd like to begin this journey of reverse engineering the game.
Lets use this forum page to break the game down via reverse engineering and create cheats and talk about it.

Also please talk in here about glitches or bugs that have been experienced.
I have given perms to @Ultimos54 ,@patjenova ,@Mopquill and @Vapp13 to help keep this post up to date :).

This is a thread for reverse engineering ACNH, studying cheat formats, etc. It's become a bit of a water cooler, but please avoid using it as a personal help thread, especially for questions that have already been asked. Also, please check to see if one of these handy topics answers your question, or would be an appropriate topic to ask your question in.

How to Search a Thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/animal-...s-bugs-etc-thread.560199/page-35#post-8985495
How to Cheat in Animal Crossing: New Horizons: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-cheat-in-animal-crossing-new-horizons.560671/
Animal Crossing New Horizons Cheat Database: https://gbatemp.net/threads/animal-crossing-new-horizons-cheat-database.563423/
Perfect Villager Injections: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...editor-for-perfect-villager-injection.563202/

EVERYTHING IN THIS THREAD REQUIRES A HACKED SWITCH (unless otherwise stated) Don't ask how to do something on a legit Switch, for your friend's Switch, etc. Additionally, some types of codes do not work on SX OS. Switch to Atmosphere, which SX is based on anyhow.

I keep this up to date when I can, but really check out the ACNH Cheat Database above. - @Mopquill

ACNH v1.4.2 Paths:

Atmosphere
Code:
sd:/atmospshere/contents/01006f8002326000/cheats/e0a8e2d6018ed365.txt

SXOS
Code:
sd:/sxos/titles/01006f8002326000/cheats/e0a8e2d6018ed365.txt

Item ID & DIY ID List: [Parsed | Raw | JSON]
Build ID List: https://imgur.com/aCrOqU4 provided by @WORLDSTAR

Useful Tools:
Text to Item Cheat: [ Link | Post ] (Updated for 1.4.1!)
ACNHCG: Item and Villager Code Generator: [ Link | Thread ] (Items Updated for 1.4.1!)
Animal Crossing Item Spawning Tool: [ Link | Thread ] (Updated for 1.2.0!)

Save Editor:
NHSE: New Horizons Save Editor: [ Link ] (Updated for 1.4.1!)
All-Villager Dump: [ Attachment | Post ] (Version-Agnostic?)
Perfect Villager Injection
(for the above): [ Thread ] (Version-Agnostic?)

@Ultimos54's Cheat File Guide:

Atmosphere
: Download the attached file and extract it. Open your SD card and navigate to Atmosphere and then contents. Place the extracted folder here. Next, you'll need to download a homebrew app called Edizon . (Note: If you cannot see any codes, remove some codes from the txt file that you won't be using. It won't see any codes if the txt file is over 32kb) Extract the file "EdiZon.nro" to the switch folder on your SD card. Eject your SD card and insert it back into your Switch and boot into your CFW. Launch Animal Crossing New Horizons. Once you're in-game, press the home button and select album. (Depending on how you have it configured, you may need to hold R while opening the album to get into homebrew) Select EdiZon and click the blue C. Your cheats should be there ready to use.

SXOS: Download the attached file and extract it. Open your SD card and navigate to sxos and then titles. Place the extracted folder here. Eject your SD card and insert it back in your Switch and boot your CFW. Launch Animal Crossing New Horizons. Once you're in-game, press the home button and select the album. Navigate to the cheats section and your codes should be there waiting for you.

Save Editor: WE AREN'T THE CREATORS SO DON'T ASK FOR FEATURES HERE, THE THANKS GOES TO SCIRESM AND HIS TEAM ON TWITTER(THE PEEPS WHO MADE PKHEX)
Save Editor is in the works on :https://github.com/Cuyler36/MyHorizons
SAVE EDITOR IS OUT: https://dev.azure.com/project-pokemon/NHSE/_build from the creator of PKHex he got help from the guy in the first link :)

Save Editor Guide:
Azure Site:

1.Click on Pipelines
2.Where it has the title under Last Run click it
3.Under related Tab click published
4.You should see a file name, scroll your mouse to the far right of it to see a button,click it to download the file
5.You should get a folder,decompile it to get the files,inside there is a file called NHSE
6. Open up your save folder to the point where it can see both main.dat and mainheader.dat
7.Your save should load,go ahead and have fun editing,once done editing click file save and DONE
9.Restore save to switch

USE JKSV to backup/restore saves,Checkpoint and EdiZon do not work. Also, do not run it in applet mode as applet mode doesn’t support the keyboard is SXOS.

Save Editor Bugs Currently and their FIXES:
FIX FOR MAX ITEMS:
If max is 30 set to 29,basically for max just set it to -1 below the max
CLOTHING AND CATCHPHRASE FIX:After talking to Isabelle and complaining about the way the villager's dresses and the way they talk, it makes them change back to what they meant to be (checked with amibo pedia).
CRITTERPEDIA BUG IS FIXED IN NEW VERSION OF SAVE EDITOR WOOOOO: Go into received items and click give all bugs and fish, its adds them to the critterpedia but not to the milestones :)

HOUSE'S NEED TO CHANGE TO NEW EDITED VILLAGER ON SE:
The fix was found by @hentaikun @Blasetzmt and @eskil ,they found that if they deleted the villager in the SE, the game would make their plot available again, to which then once you find a villager via a nook miles ticket/ammibo or campsite site visitor you could just edit the villager in the SE when they are on their way to your island.
FIX :Provided by @eskil is a blank villager file for the SE to import to clear/delete the villager from your save to which once done just find another villager via one of the methods stated above and whilst they are coming just edit them in the SE as they are coming or before hand if you want the next villager to be what you want to overwrite their data
The blank villager file is now provided in the cheat folder thanks to @eskil :)

Cheat Folder is provided below and is property of those that contributed codes and files such as @Ultimos54, @patjenova, @Mopquill, @Vapp13, @eskil, and @Traiver. We will try to keep the folder up to date as possible.

Below is Ultimos54's compiled file of cheats; please note that it is outdated. Consider checking the cheat database instead, linked at the top of this post.

View attachment 206086
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/animal-crossing-codes-zip.206086/

Last edited by Ultimos54,

NotAGrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made an account just for this release haha. I had a feeling something was up when Edizon have me problems with AC. Then I saw the save configuration which you mentioned in the OP. Any ideas on how we'd have to approach this? Probably editing game saves on a PC and transferring the save back over I'm assuming.

DesuIsSparta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made an account just for this release haha. I had a feeling something was up when Edizon have me problems with AC. Then I saw the save configuration which you mentioned in the OP. Any ideas on how we'd have to approach this? Probably editing game saves on a PC and transferring the save back over I'm assuming.

Yes, that's probably going to be the easiest way for a while. I'm planning to reverse engineer at least a few things before I write my web-based save editor (will be posted on my GitHub, I wrote one for ACNL a few years ago). I would guess someone will write a version in C/C++ that will run as a Homebrew App so that you can edit the save without leaving your console, but it will be a while before then.

dec1337

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh it seems branches from trees varies from 5-8 for me so far, I think you get 8 if theres nothing else around the tree at all and branches sell @ 5 each

Weebalicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems like they had to smarts to scramble up the memory, or I am just a bit of a retard. I tried to use sys-net for memory viewer, and the only thing I can get changing is the display, but it never seems to stick so I am not actually modifying any value.

DesuIsSparta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh it seems branches from trees varies from 5-8 for me so far, I think you get 8 if theres nothing else around the tree at all and branches sell @ 5 each

I seem to get an infinite amount but only a few can be on the ground at a time (even if spaces are available). Keep on shaking that thing, it's random if one will drop or not. I can record a video later to show what i'm experiencing.

Seems like they had to smarts to scramble up the memory, or I am just a bit of a retard. I tried to use sys-net for memory viewer, and the only thing I can get changing is the display, but it never seems to stick so I am not actually modifying any value.

Could you dump your results and pastebin them?

Last edited by DesuIsSparta,

dec1337

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to get an infinite amount but only a few can be on the ground at a time (even if spaces are available). Keep on shaking that thing, it's random if one will drop or not. I can record a video later to show what i'm experiencing.

Ohh theyre infinite I just mean 5-8 on the ground at one time :)

Reactions: DesuIsSparta

JK_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also thought dev was for developer originally. It's definitely device. I wonder why Edizon and checkpoint don't support device saves.
It is device saves. I had to shorten it to fit in the icon it creates. Also, JKSV supports BCAT and Device saves because a friend wanted to dump Pokemon Events and bros get what they want.

Weebalicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Could you dump your results and pastebin them?

I scarcely understand what I am doing, so dumping is kinda foreign to me. I use SysNetCheatGUI to do the memory search since I kinda know the concepts of Cheat Engine. So I am not entirely sure how to do what you ask of me.

DesuIsSparta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to back up my save through JKSV! Does it mean that Checkpoint, EdiZon and others just need to support Device saves to be able to support ACNH ?

That's correct.

Now we're on to the fun part -- figuring out how the hell to decompress these save files. The reasoning behind the headers being separate and having their own headers.. I'm looking into decompiling the game to see if I can find anything but i'm pretty novice at IDA

Reactions: Lacius

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also thought dev was for developer originally. It's definitely device. I wonder why Edizon and checkpoint don't support device saves.

Edit: known issue https://github.com/FlagBrew/Checkpoint/issues/324
There is a build of EdiZon that was given to SciresM that supports device saves so he could reverse the den data from Wild Area updates in Pokémon and will be included when v4.0.0 officially releases.

It is device saves. I had to shorten it to fit in the icon it creates. Also, JKSV supports BCAT and Device saves because a friend wanted to dump Pokemon Events and bros get what they want.
:P

I was able to back up my save through JKSV! Does it mean that Checkpoint, EdiZon and others just need to support Device saves to be able to support ACNH ?
Correct. This would also be helpful for Pokémon too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1