Gaming Animal crossing (gamecube) disc read error

Ivymint

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i own a copy of animal crossing for the gamecube, and the other day i tried to play it in my first model wii. and it came up with the message that the disc could not be read. i have tried several times with no luck. i suspect that it may be because i keep it in a standard cd case, since i got it used, caseless, and in a sleeve. since the game cube discs are so small, i think the inner rim may not be the size of most discs, and it chipped. it looks kind of cloudy and feels rigid in those areas. any ideas?

tan-tan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The inner rim is the same size as a standard disk. If it chipped on the inner part and not the (shiny part) data area, it should still technically be readable. Do other discs work in the console? It could actually be a failing disk drive at fault if so. If there are in fact any chips or cracks in the disc, don't put it into the console anymore, though. It could shatter inside the drive and turn into quite the mess.

Ivymint

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of my Wii games work, but it may just be that my Wii doesn't like GC games, because i cant be sure if it's just this one or all gamecube games,because i only one. i might be getting wind waker soon so i'll find out then. and it's weird because it worked the first time i tested it when i got it, though at the time i did not have a memory card. i got one and ever since, this happens every time. Now that you mention it, i don't think it's a chip or a crack, i actually remember getting it like this, though im not sure, as it was a while ago. I got it from gamestop though, so maybe they're just screwing me over. XD

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a barcode on the inner rim of the disc. If that's obscured or dirty or it's cracked the game won't boot. The GC and Wii GC mode check the barcode as part of the copy protection.

Ivymint

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a barcode on the inner rim of the disc. If that's obscured or dirty or it's cracked the game won't boot. The GC and Wii GC mode check the barcode as part of the copy protection.
I've checked and it it not scratched anywhere.

Also ive seen somewhere that homebrew, or in my case, past-homebrew wiis dont like gamecube games. that may be it.

Last edited by Ivymint,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂