The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
invoice.jpg

It seems angry Mass Effect 3 fans still want to protest the game's endings. This time they're sending the studio hundreds of cupcakes.

A user on the BioWare forums quickly organized a donation pool of over $1,000 and made a massive order of approximately 402 cupcakes from a local bakery near BioWare's Edmonton studio. "As fans, we want Bioware to do right by us, and fix the endings for Mass Effect 3. But we also want to let Bioware know, that we trust them, and have faith in them.

"Bioware has been slammed by negativity from all sides in the last few weeks. This is our way, as fans, to drive our message home, but in a (literally) sweet way. We want Bioware to add some more 'sweet' to their 'bittersweet' ending. What better way to do this than with CUPCAKES :-D."

The order has been placed and the invoice as proof was posted online (see below). The cupcakes are colored Red, Blue and Green and labeled A, B or C as a dig at executive produce Casey Hudson's statements where he said, “It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C…The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.”

Ok, I have spoken to a bakery located really close to Bioware studio's. They are called:
http://www.fusscupcakes.com

The approximate cost for this is $1005.00. That includes delivery, attaching our notes and letters, and having some photos taken of our creation. Note** Owner was kind enough to drop the price due to bulk.

The company DOES NOT have a paypal account. That means that I will have to place the order, and take contributions directly to my own paypal, and pay for it that way. Will have a final figure in the next hour.

IN ADDITION:

Every single person who contributes, will be able to write a brief note to be attached to the cupcakes. We will also, as a community, write a letter from all of us to Bioware. All the cupcakes will be divided into equal parts Red, Blue and Green colors... but they will all taste exactly the same.

If you'd like to participate, please check out the thread below and let us know.

These cupcakes can be delivered by the end of the week. Personally, I'm shooting for Thursday or Friday, since that's well in advance of PAX.

Source

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they got mad at them, so they spent money to send them cupcakes?

$1000 worth of cupcakes, what are they showing them

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's like when Fringe was about to be going off the air and the fans sent in one of the Fringe characters' favorite snacks (RedVines).

Except they're trying to appeal to the staff at BioWare to be moved enough by such a donation to their lunches that they'll get the rest to agree to an update to the end of the game.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why can't fans just let devs tell the story the way the devs want to? Though I've never played the game before, many of the people who talked about it were complaining about the plot hole or w/e rather than the ending itself.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Why can't fans just let devs tell the story the way the devs want to? Though I've never played the game before, many of the people who talked about it were complaining about the plot hole or w/e rather than the ending itself.
From what I hear, it's not just one plot hole.

It's a web of plot holes and ideas that were never truly explained by any of the endings. The endings were also, apparently, nearly identical and make it look like you never had a choice in the first place.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's like when Fringe was about to be going off the air and the fans sent in one of the Fringe characters' favorite snacks (RedVines).

Except they're trying to appeal to the staff at BioWare to be moved enough by such a donation to their lunches that they'll get the rest to agree to an update to the end of the game.

Ah, though i doubt it will really have any effect.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"OMG A VIDEO GAME I LIKE HAD AN ENDING THAT I DON'T LIKE, I MUST REBEL IMMEDIATELLY!"

Jeeez, talk about overreacting. I've seen most of the endings by now and I must say that they're not that bad, you'd have to be a really butthurt person to complain about them. It's a game, have fun and if you want intricate storytelling then grab a book 'cause guess what? It'll take a good few more years before games reach the level of storytelling that is present in other mediums.

Video game is quite a young form of storytelling and artistic expression, it needs time to fully bloom.

Reactions: 1 person

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Video gaming is a form of entertainment as long as you enjoyed playing the game then surely you got your moneys worth and move on to the next game, why all this fuss over a game's ending is beyond me.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jeeez, talk about overreacting. I've seen most of the endings by now and I must say that they're not that bad, you'd have to be a really butthurt person to complain about them. It's a game, have fun and if you want intricate storytelling then grab a book 'cause guess what? It'll take a good few more years before games reach the level of storytelling that is present in other mediums.

Video game is quite a young form of storytelling and artistic expression, it needs time to fully bloom.
Really? We must've gone back in time 20 years, because I have games in my collection from the late 90s with stories that are better than novels.

On another note, Bioware generally does a good job of creating very detailed universes, and in a game like Mass Effect, where part of the sales pitch is that the outcome hinges heavily on your choices, it's a pretty big slap to the face to have such similar and useless endings. Granted, after Dragon Age II and what I've seen of Star Wars: The Old Republic, I can't say ME3 being disappointing where it really counts is surprising.

raybattousai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"OMG A VIDEO GAME I LIKE HAD AN ENDING THAT I DON'T LIKE, I MUST REBEL IMMEDIATELLY!"

Its not so much that they hate the ending, its that Bioware lied to them about it. Bioware promised that there would be tons of different ending and that your choices through out the series would have a serious impact on them. When people finally got to the end they were treated to one last choice that determined which of 3 almost identical endings you saw. It didn't help that the endings felt rushed an out of place in the game. People were also still upset over the Prothean on disk DLC that Bioware swore was developed after the game was already finished.

Still I agree people have over reacted. I think a simple email to Bioware stating your feelings on the matter and just not buying their next game would have sufficed

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Its not so much that they hate the ending, its that Bioware lied to them about it. Bioware promised that there would be tons of different ending and that your choices through out the series would have a serious impact on them. When people finally got to the end they were treated to one last choice that determined which of 3 almost identical endings you saw. It didn't help that the endings felt rushed an out of place in the game. People were also still upset over the Prothean on disk DLC that Bioware swore was developed after the game was already finished.

Still I agree people have over reacted. I think a simple email to Bioware stating your feelings on the matter and just not buying their next game would have sufficed
That is incorrect - the player recieves three choices, that much is correct, however the final outcome of those choices varies depending on the choices made throughout the game. The fans may feel that the changes are insignificant, but they're there. Moreover, there is only one perfect ending leading to an extra cutscene.

The endings vary even from the perspective of whether Shepherd dies or survives, but that's a matter for interpretation aswell.

Really? We must've gone back in time 20 years, because I have games in my collection from the late 90s with stories that are better than novels.
Better then "Twillight" or better then novels altogether? Because the latter makes you sound quite silly.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha, that's great.

Even if they do change the ending, would you have to play through the entire last game again to get to it (Never played Mass Effect).
Nah, honestly you would probably understand the current ending more if you hadn't played the series before or were high, as it is quite surreal.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better then "Twillight" or better then novels altogether? Because the latter makes you sound quite silly.
Rivaling well-regarded novels in the same genre would've been a better way to put it. As far as I'm aware, there's no way you could claim to make any game, or anything an any medium, better than novels altogether because it's completely subjective.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Rivaling well-regarded novels in the same genre would've been a better way to put it. As far as I'm aware, there's no way you could claim to make any game, or anything an any medium, better than novels altogether because it's completely subjective.
Storytelling techniques may be objectively compared by means of their capabilities. There's the spoken word, written word, theater, movies and video games. Video games give the most storytelling capabilities as they can be designed as interactive or even be a sandbox of "make your own adventure" plus other then the plot itself, they also present the story visually and may contain effects unavailable in theater and in cinema (without the use of C.G), allowing the characters to perform supernatural feats before the viewer's eyes. Thing is, this superior medium as of nowadays is used poorly to convey thoroughly bad stories. If you want to say that there are certain games which have superb stories and convey them in a fantastic fashion - fine. I can also say that there are books or movies that are completely crap. When you look on the mediums as uniform wholes though, you can see that video games have alot of pent up potential that just waits to be released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.