Angry Birds Not Coming To Xbox LIVE

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Livin in a box, Mar 30, 2011.

Mar 30, 2011
  1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    The franchise manager for Rovio, Peter Vesterbacka, the developer of the number one smartphone and iDevice game Angry Birds, spoke with MCV recently and criticised Microsoft’s Xbox LIVE guidelines about submitting new content to games.

"Is that our fault? No, that’s their problem. There is no reason why, when you do digital distribution on console, you couldn’t do frequent updates. It’s just a legacy way of thinking."

He went on to say:

"Look, the console market is important, but it’s also… it’s not dying, but not the fastest growing platform out there. So we don’t see it the way others do. A lot of people in the games industry, they think the ‘real’ games are on consoles. You’re only a ‘real’ games company if you do a big budget game. But we don’t have that inferiority complex."

The following point was also made:

"If the consoles want to stay relevant they have to start mimicking what’s going on around them on app stores, smartphones and online. It’s the only way, because people expect games to stay fresh. If you pay $59 or $69 dollars and you get no updates – but you pay 99 cents for a game in the App Store and get updates every month, then it sets the expectations higher. So the pressure is definitely on those guys."

Rovio do certainly have a point here; I personally cannot see a reason why Microsoft place such harsh guidelines on updating your own content on Xbox LIVE. But comparing an App Store game and a bigger console game doesn’t seem to make much sense. You’re paying that money for a game that features a lot of content on the disc and it’s more than likely that extra DLC will be released and a big multiplayer mode is now available for most games. But Apps rely on the frequent updates to keep the content fresh. Without the updates to Angry Birds, you’d be left only trying to get 3 stars on the levels. Then what? At least with the console and PC titles, as I previously mentioned there is already a large amount of content to play through, DLC and multiplayer too.

What are your thoughts?[/p]
    Source

Yeah...my opinions are above [​IMG]

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I thought it already was there.

3. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    His whole thing about consoles becoming irrelevant is utter crap, but I agree that updates should be faster on Xbox live. The current system takes a few weeks for updates to go live if I recall.

4. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Yeah consoles! Get in the game and start churning out some shovelware for once!

5. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I'm glad, xbox is for fully fledged games not thousands of tiny funfor3minutes games for low prices.

And Rovio have developed quite a bad reputation on here (or was it rolando's devs...or are they the same?) for spewing biased and quite untrue shit that consoles are dying and the cheap apps is where it's at.
    @ Rovio: U mad bro?

6. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Does the guy have to update his app every single time a single bug is found? If it's gonna take a while between updates, then take that time to find the bugs, add new content, etc. If it's buggy on initial release, then it isn't MS's fault for not having frequent updates. It's the developer's fault for releasing a buggy app before it was meant to be released.

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Or he could just make a game that wasn't so shitty that he needed to constantly update it.

Seriously, this guy loves his own reflection so much that he probably yanks his crank to it. He made a mediocre flash quality game that somehow became mega successful because consumers are idiots. Congratulations.

8. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    You're only a 'real' game development company when you produce a game that isn't on par with a shitty internet flash game.

Hell I put more effort into my one room "run around in the dark with a flashlight" game then he did into his piece of shit.

9. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Why is this game spreading like this?

10. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    What the fuck is it with all these app developers who make a mediocre game, thinking they know the gaming industry in and out, and have the right to criticize big companies...

11. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Call it "Inflated ego." Angry Birds has sold so well, the people who make it and other less intelligent people now think that it's the "new standard" for video games. In my opinion, AB only sold well because it has nice aesthetics, simple gameplay, and it's cheap as dirt. Not to mention it was released for the Idevices which helped it out quite a bit. I can assure you that this game is nothing but a passing fad. People may look back on it fondly in years to come, but it will ultimately become a game like Lemmings tetris which don't do anything to innovate.

12. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I have both Angry Birds and Red Dead Redemption and they're priced $1/$60 respectively. Maybe I have the flawed logic of a gamer, but I think RDR is a better value. Sure, $60 is a lot of money, but I consider how I spend 100 hours of my life far more important than the $59 difference in price.

In other words, if I'm going to spend a significant portion of my life playing a game, I want that game to be an immersive, meaningful, soul-enriching experience rather than a repetitive time-killer experience. I don't think a $1 game allows a dev studio the resources to create a RDR type of experience, thus Rovio's argument is flawed in my opinion. People are willing to pay a premium for a better experience.

13. Law

United Kingdom
    I was thinking of this exact same example.

And RDR only cost me $40.

edit: and I would happily spend $39 for a better game (any other game) than Angry Birds even if it would only last eight hours.

14. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    I don't really care. How much more of this game can people play?

These cheapo cell phone style games loose their appeal very quickly.

15. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Fucking hypocritical idiots.

I'm glad Rovio can't/doesn't want to put Angry Birds on XBLA. Keep the hoards of mini, play-for-a-few-minutes games on mobile devices, where they belong, not actual game consoles.

16. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Because we are seeing the death of gamers and gaming as a whole. It has now degenerated into a cesspool of weeaboo hell and pure greed. Nothing else. DLC was pushing it, now they're fucking a dead horse. Its over, Japan's top video game designers are leaving and its all become a sell out industry to make a quick buck off of trends. You could say iDevices and mobile gaming have become the Hot Topic store of the gaming industry. Welcome to the deteriorating hell of casual gaming.... ;_;

17. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

Oh jesus, get over it. Gaming is evolving, not dying.

Anyway, even though I disagree with most of what was said by this certain dev, he does have a point. Disallowing frequent updates severely hampers what you can and can't do with content. Which is the case of Orange Box. We remember how well THAT went, don't we? That's just one example.

18. Law

United Kingdom
    Devolving.

Want updates? Play PC games.

19. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    funny man .
    he's dreaming in a world where Angry Birds is the next gen. gaming .

20. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    What purpose does it have on Xbox? What purpose did it have on PSP other than to suck?

NGP may be better, but still. It's a touchscreen game, people. It does not work well with analog sticks.