Angry Birds Coming to Facebook

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by gamebaby, Mar 10, 2011.

Mar 10, 2011
  1. gamebaby
    OP

Newcomer gamebaby Newbie

United States
    In an article from the April 2011 issue of Wired U.K., Rovio confirms that smash hit Angry Birds will be flinging itself onto Facebook sometime this year.

While the company is currently mum on specifics about the game, Rovio corunner Mikael Hed is quoted in the article as saying, “There will be completely new aspects to it that just haven’t been experienced on any other platform…. The pigs will have a more prominent role.”

The article also reports on some of the financials behind Angry Birds — the game’s initial development costs were 100,000 Euros (roughly $140,000), and Rovio reports that there have been 20 million paid iPhone and iPad downloads, plus another 20 million downloads of the free ad-supported Android version. Add in the company’s assorted licensing deals, and Rovio’s total revenue so far is estimated to be 50 million pounds (around $80 million).

And the total number of pigs popped so far? About 3 trillion — roughly 3,000 times the number of actual pigs in existence on the earth today.

Source

2. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Wrong section, especially if you wanted actual posts.

You want the User Submitted News.

3. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    oh my god.

first they sell out to Microsoft with Shit Bing.

Now they are selling out to facebook.

why am I not surprised.

4. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Great, another mediocre game going mainstream.

5. Sop

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    Kewl

6. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    Oh great yet another place to play angry birds......whats next? xbox arcade....might as well...they already sold out to bing

7. Advi

Member Advi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    cool, a flash game everybody already has on their iDevice that you need to sign up to use and can't be played in schools

8. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Angry birds sucks ass but it always reminds me of the Tosh.O real life angry birds, which was awesome.

9. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    I hate the fact that they stole the concept of the game from crush the castle (which in turn was inspired by Castle Clout though they had permission from castle clout makers) and now nobody seems to know about crush the castle.

10. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Unemployment rates are about to double.

11. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Ugh. Games have no place on Facebook.com. An off-site game integrating with Facebook is fine, so long as Facebook doesn't link you to the game itself. Having these idle distractions on Facebook -- the place where people already sit around doing nothing -- is only leading to addictions, wasted time, and in some cases leads to more than detachment from your family, but also the injury and death of the ones you love.

I understand why Facebook added these games. It's a simple concept that dates back to the days of arcades. People love showing off their highscores. I know I sure do, and even now I wish there was a simple(maybe 3 button) way of Tweeting/Facebooking a good Halo game I just played.

It's when the games are added straight to Facebook that it becomes a problem. When you hear about addictions to these games, you never see it referred to as "Zynga Addiction" even though it should be. It's always called "Facebook Addiction." This leads people to begin blaming the social-networking site itself, instead of the game company, who really is at fault. Not to say that Facebook is blameless, but still.

To combat this, Facebook or Zynga need to add unbypassable timers to their games(because it's far too late to just remove them entirely. It won't be long until Zynga's worth more than Facebook itself, I bet). Sure, at the moment, you can pay a small fee to keep playing instead of waiting 20 minutes, but having the game firmly lock you out after 3 hours would be even better.

/rant (May re-post this as a blog after I expand a bit more on the topic.)

12. whoomph

Member whoomph GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yeah. They mean 'micro transactions' [​IMG]

13. Laughing Stock

Member Laughing Stock GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol. The game should have been on the web anyways.