[Android] StreetPass Riilay: The HomePass method on your phone

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Zurce, Aug 16, 2013.

1. mmzx

mmzx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2013
    Brazil
    Montes Claros
    How I do to this work in my rooted LG Optimus L5 II?

2. mmzx

mmzx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2013
    Brazil
    Montes Claros
    Don't work in my rooted LG Optimus L5 II

3. Ryan86

Ryan86 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2013
    Brazil
    This isn't working on my Galaxy S3 Mini (I8190L). Either it shuts down my phone, or it "starts with error" and my 3DS can't even find it. x_x The Log sometimes even states it failed to set the MAC address...

4. armagn12

armagn12 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2013
    Cainta, Rizal

have you tried changing the profile to Samsung Galaxy S3 (item 2)?

try playing around the settings to see if you could make it work. Else if, this is not the method for you.

Zurce

A search for a mac file on my S2 yielded "/data/.mac.info" can you add this please?

5. Zurce
    OP

Zurce Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2013
    United States
    i'll fix this on sunday sorry i don't have my computer right now.

I'll add this method on sunday.

I'll review all your suggestions and update the app on sunday , thank you so much for taking your time

6. Cluster

Cluster GBAtemp Fan

Oct 2, 2005
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow Region, Electrostal
    Great app! Can you add feature to use custom MAC-address list? From text file or from URL.
    Thank you!

7. Ismaw34

Ismaw34 GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2009
    Hello, ive been using the app some time right now, and on galaxy mini with the correct method on data/mac.info thing the MAC not changes and the 3ds ignores the new access point. It would be grat if you put some cooldown option for the 3ds can detect "No nzone" and try to search again.

Thanks,
    -Ismaw34

8. Devan

Devan Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2009
    Brazil
    I thank you, for your time!!!

9. Ismaw34

Ismaw34 GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2009
    Further testing, great app, but it keeps putting the default mac on my galaxy mini.
    Tryed to use BusyBox, but it seems the app keeps telling me tu use the /data/ method.
    NOT WORKING
    Can I suggest to make the File r--r--r-- (Read Only for all), and will be working ;)
    -Ismaw34

10. lucasfcr

lucasfcr Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2013
    Brazil
    This app is great!! Thank you.
    The method I use to change the MAC is /data/etc/wifi/fw
    This fw is a document with just my mac address in it.
    (Xperia S, JB)

Can you add it, please?

11. Flomsat

Flomsat Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2013
    So to get this working on some devices here's what to do. You will need a mobile device with its own data connection (Eg. 3G or 4G).

1. Root your android mobile device (I used a HTC One). Search google for tutorials on how to Root your device.
    2. After or during the rooting process, install BusyBox (again, do a search to research this).
    3. Install the Riilay App found in the first post to your mobile device
    4. Set up a WiFi Hotspot on your device using the SSID: attwifi and no security (so no password). This will mean that anyone will be able to access your phone's data connection, so be careful.
    5. Open your 3DS and set up an internet connection with the new attwifi hotspot you've created. (This may not be necessary)
    6. Return your 3DS to the menu and close the screen.
    7. Open the Riilay app. It should recommend which method to use. For me it was the Busybox method. This will vary per device.
    8. Set a cool-down period on the app (set it above 1 min at least, 5mins works best for me I've found).
    9. Start the Riilay App. It should then change the MAC address of the device and the 3DS should connect.
    10. Wait a few minutes for you first streetpass hit! After the set cooldown period, the app should cycle through to the next address, and the next streetpass hit.
    NOTE: you can only street pass each MAC address once every 8 hours.

If this method does not work for you, I can't help. Others may be able to.
    I have found after a while, my phone may close the app or turn off the wifi hotspot (meaning I only get about 4 streetpasses before I need to restart everything). This is proably just the settings or app killer app i have installed on my phone.

ALSO: I went to a 3DS meet-up the other day and had my phone in my pocket with WiFi hotspot turned OFF. Other people's 3DS systems started to download updates, quickly draining my phones data allowance. I had to change the WiFi hotspot name to something else to get it to stop :wtf:

12. Zurce
    OP

Zurce Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2013
    United States
    Sorry but I won't be able to update the app today, I couldn't get my computer I hope that by Wednesday I'll get it done

13. ibds

ibds Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2007
    Brazil
    I've made a test with my galaxy S3 mini using the busybox method, it does change the MAC address, but after changing it the hotspot doesn't connect anymore even though it continues to appear on the wifi on 3DS..

I did change the mac address manually by commands on busybox and the same thing happens :(

14. ibds

ibds Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2007
    Brazil

Well looking on the internet it seems the only way to change the mac on a S3 is changing the phone rom..
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2072479

15. PrincessPeach

PrincessPeach Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2005
    Swaziland
    I use my old Galaxy S1 with Darky Rom, Wifi Theter App works and I can StreetPass successfully, but with Riilay, I don't even get one.

16. Rone

Rone Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    Antarctica
    Wanted to report three glitches when using a Note II, rooted and with stock tether "unlocked", but no custom rom:

*The only method that will work is "busybox method", which is fine. One of the other settings (/factory) does APPEAR to work, but it doesn't.
    *The first time Riilay is activated, it works perfectly! However, when it attempts to cycle the mac address, it does SOMETHING in a manner the phone doesn't appreciate, and the access point doesn't setup correctly. This is reflected in the cell phone showing "hotspot active", but the 3DS being unable to connect to the hotspot (it detects the SSID, just can't connect to it, erroring out instantly). It can be fixed by manually shutting down the hotspot and turning it back on. Perhaps it's an issue of needing to delay the re-opening process?
    *Riilay doesn't work once the phone goes into standby (AKA the screen turns off)

17. ShinAbo

ShinAbo Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2013
    just a note, in jelly bean 4.1.2 they changed the nvram.txt to nvram_net.txt in /system/etc/wifi/
    adding this to the app should make most galaxy phones works.

18. Ryan86

Ryan86 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Shin, I use a Galaxy S3 Mini that shares Android 4.1.2, and while I do have a "nvram_net.txt" file in the directory in question (/system/etc/wifi/), it isn't like my old phone where nvram.txt was nothing but a MAC address: this file is huge and contains a lot of data.

Sure, there was a "macaddr=00:09:...." on it (in fact, such address appeared twice along the file). Not only changing it didn't work, but also there's a catch: that is NOT the MAC address I obtain when I press *#232338#, which is something to the lines of 88:9B:....

Mind sharing more info on how you're getting this to work? My old phone can only run in 2G, so if I could get it to work on my new phone (that has 3G), it would make things much easier on me, even if Riilay doesn't support it yet.

19. Ismaw34

Ismaw34 GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2009
    To all the people complaining about the methods that are not the busybox.
    The file is set to chmod 777, and when the android trys to power on the Wifi Point, it resets to the default MAC is given.

If the creator sees this, would know that chmoding the file to 444 on edit and when changing put it back to 777 if he wants, it would be fixed.

Also, give some time to update... It takes time.

-Ismaw34

20. Entropy86

Entropy86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2011
    Having trouble with my HTC one, got the 3ds to connect to the hot spot, the light flashes as if its transferring data, but i dont get any streetpass hits out of it. I'm using busybox method as its the only one that would "work" and have the cooldown time set at 5 mins. Any ideas on how to check the mac is being spoofed, the wifi tether app always failed to change my MAC address so maybe missing something important.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted