Android Joins iOS To Surpass Nintendo And Sony Handhelds In Sales Figures

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by EvilMakiPR, Aug 21, 2013.

1. EvilMakiPR
    OP

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    These huge numbers further illustrate the current trend toward mobile gaming, which threatens to have a devastating effect on the handheld market shares of Nintendo and Sony. Although 3DS sales figures have been nothing short of robust lately, the growing market of mobile gaming certainly runs the risk of chipping away at Nintendo, especially when several games can be found on both platforms.

[​IMG]

Source

2. MegaAce™

MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Nov 28, 2008
    Gambia, The
    How can one compare gaming on iOS/Android to gaming on Sony and Nintendo handhelds? They're like two different leagues.

3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    There are a lot more people that think "I need a phone to survive" than people who think "I need a gaming console to survive".

4. macmanhigh

macmanhigh THC = Truly High Caliber

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    If $ony or Nintendo sold their Games for $1-3 too this would be a different graph believe me......

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    How so? Some instances of buttons aside the hardware is there and lengthy/in depth games are being made.

I am still trying to figure out what "indexed consumer spending on games" actually means but this appears to be less "units sold" and more "spend on games".

6. MegaAce™

MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Nov 28, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Well, that may be true but I think there really aren't THAT many. Also we don't know whether that statistic only accounts for online purchases or also sold games, as you have the option with 3DS and Vita games. Most people like having their games in physical form.

7. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    it's like comparing fast food to eating at a nice restaurant, it's all food, but, not the same.

MAXLEMPIRA, Ron and Ethevion like this.
  8. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Um, no shit? More people own Android/iOS devices than dedicated gaming handhelds, and a wider userbase is going to mean there's more people to spend money on games.

Unless you've been living under a rock since like, 1989, this is hardly surprising.

Qtis, Skelletonike, KingVamp and 10 others like this.
  9. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Considering there are like 900 million android users which has far exceeded the number of handheld users, this is hardly surprising.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nintendo games > iOS/Android games.

KingVamp, ßleck and macmanhigh like this.
  11. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    and you need to count that games made for real consoles are longer, so you spend more time playing a single game on 3DS or Vita than a random session of Angry Birds before you go to the store to buy more games and the prices are way more cheap that you don't mind buying a bunch of them for a dollar instead of one for forty dollars.

12. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here
    Android and iOS don't aim for the same demographic as dedicated gaming handhelds. Certainly App Store and Google Play have more sales due to the sheer install base and the nature of these games.

While most games on handhelds are $10-$60, many gaming apps are free to play to a dollar, and almost certainly have in-app purchases, which heavily encourages impulse purchases, whereas $10-$60 is considerably more money and requires considerably more thought before buying a copy.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Maybe (with the exception of Advance wars, something Nintendo seem to be letting fall by the wayside, I can take or leave most Nintendo franchises and find equivalents or better versions elsewhere). Assuming that is the case though the question would be by how much and is it enough to keep them truly relevant?

Normally I would have queried the use of the word "real". However I am not sure that is necessarily the case -- plenty of the GBA and DS greats have made their way outside those circles, I can have my 9000 level puzzle games and old classics with serious playtimes are making their way onto it.

14. KuRensan

KuRensan aka Pearbook

Apr 27, 2009
    Netherlands
    Somewhere in the sky
    Okay, now remove all the games from the iOS/Android that are ripped-off by other games and the gaming guides where you have to pay for, which I believe are also under the gaming catagory (could be wrong there :unsure:)

15. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Well, uh...

That's not surprising. How many grown adults go out and say, "I need to drop $200 on a handheld gaming device." Not many. Games on iOS and Android are different. They'll see a game for a few dollars, think it's a fun bargain, and buy it. Nintendo/Sony games > Phone games, but Phone userbase > Nintendo/Sony userbase.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  16. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    So I wonder how much Vita has contributed to the handheld market. :P

17. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Not surprising at all unless you've been out of the loop for a number of years.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Seeing that there's a massive difference between the sheer size of the userbases, this graph doesn't really say much, I'd be more curious to see how much a single user spends on content on average, better yet, average sales figures per App. Statistics like the one presented can be very, very deceiving, especially for developers.

As of July 2013, Google's App Store hosts over one million of applications wheras the 3DS and the PSVita only a couple hundred - even with such a userbase discrepancy, chances that your particular application will be spotted are higher in a smaller crowd.

What I'm basically saying here is that while sales of "Fruit Ninja" or "Angry Birds" may very well soar to the heavens, lesser known games are in the realm of obscurity, hidden behind literally thousands of others. The profits go to the very few popular big name titles, really.
    The Free2Play model has already entered the console scene, and not just with small titles but also with big name franchises such as "Tekken Revolution".

19. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    ...how is this news? I'm pretty sure there are more Android/iOS users than Nintendo users? So...uhh...who gives a shit?

20. Centrix

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    These totals are incorrect, There's no way in hell the Play store is that low as well as Nintendo's. If anything Apple's stupid IOS store that has only 375,000 apps would be much lower apposed to the what near 3million apps Google Has!