Android is now top-selling OS in American smartphones!!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Vidboy10, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    [​IMG]
    Step aside, BlackBerrys and iPhones, the American consumer has voted with his wallet and picked Android as his favorite flavor in the quarter just gone. NPD's number crunchers have just announced their findings for Q2 2010, concluding that 33 percent of phones sold during the period had Android on board. This marks the first time in eons (Q4 2007, to be more precise) that RIM has not held the crown of most purchased smartphone OS on US soil, with its BlackBerrys accounting for 28% of the market and Apple's iPhone occupying third spot with 22%. Motorola and HTC are the key suspects fingered for Android's continuing ascent, with the "large screen allure" of their handsets playing well with the buying public. Skip after the break for a more detailed breakdown.[/p]
    [​IMG]Source

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the Blackberry OS is only found on Blackberry phones, the iOS only on iPhones, and the Android on every other phone in existence. Not only "smartphones", but some pretty retarded phones too.

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I'm surprised Nokia's Symbian OS isn't up there, maybe it isn't that popular in the US. Worldwide it's still the most popular platform, with blackberry second.

Good to see Android usage picking up. [​IMG]

4. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    Except the figures are JUST for smartphones (if the press release is to be believed).

"Android now installed in one of every three smartphones sold at retail. BlackBerry OS share drops 9 points to 28 percent."

5. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I agree with Veho. While the Android is cool, its not limited to one phone or a specif brand of phones. so its kinda a bias thing to say its the biggest.

6. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    Its not really biased.....RIM and apple just chose to not let anyone else use their OS's and Google went the open source root....once again Google managed to show up everyone with something their competitors thought was stupid...

RIM would be good open source.....hell i'll admit it if iphone OS was opensource it would dominate the market....but they chose not too.......while Google chose a way that alows it to quickly saturate the market

7. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Yay! I have always supported Android, and I can't wait to finally get one, next July.

8. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    **hug my htc evo**

Hell I haven't been on this forum much since I got this phone and my DSi broke

9. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    Hands down to Google. They went to open source from the beginning. Nokia is now following their footsteps with MeeGo and the Symbian^3.

I kinda freeaked out when Android is no.1. It's encoded to almost all manufacturers - Motorola, HTC, Sony Ericsson. Heck, I would call it unfair if I were you. But hands down to Google

10. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    How does that in any way make it biased? It's not really 'fair', per se, but it isn't biased

11. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It deserves it.

The Android OS is insane. I have a BlackBerry Toure and it's okay. I really don't need anything better, but my brother's Droid Incredible just completely destroys it.

And for the iPhone... It is a million times better than Blackberry, but Droids still destroy it.

12. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    BBOS and Symbian are jokes.

Android and iOS are the only modern smart phone OSes (Windows Mobile Phone Series Professional 7 Series Devices pending further judgment).

13. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    one guy (maybe a pro/reviewer) was saying android is very free in what u can do with and probably its also stable and easy (like c# compared to c++)

14. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I am quite surprised I though iphone was the shit in america. Thing about android is it's not like ZOMGWTFzorz you can't put THAT on your phone, it's not MADE BY APPLE! >:O
    I prefer the UI of android phones but iOS has better apps in my opinion even though quite a few iphone apps are on android.
    (Non biased - I have a HTC and an ipod touch ) :|

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    iPhone is on one (notoriously bad) carrier.

Android is on every carrier.

Do the math.

16. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yeah now that android is really on some beeautiful hardware (evo, god i want one) i can see why more people are choosing it over iphone, if your not on att its the obvious choice

17. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Oh well over here in the UK iphone is on the most popular; O2, vodafone
    Guess I am mistaken.