Anbernic launches its new OLED RG505 retro handheld

anbernic rg505.JPG

Retro handheld manufacturer Anbernic is back with another device, the RG505. Rather than an incremental upgrade, this console is a more powerful emulation device than what the company has launched up to now. Noteworthy features include a Unisoc Tiger T618 chip, the PS Vita's OLED screen and Hall-based magnetic joysticks (that counters joystick drift). Interestingly, it appears to be based only on Android 12 and might not be dual-boot like the company's other Android-enabled devices. That said, it should be able to emulate Gamecube and PS2 games decently.

The Anbernic RG505 will cost €152/$158 but the company has launched a pre-order campaign that offers $10 off till 2:00 am (PDT) on November 29 when the devices are expected to ship. Keep an eye out for our official review!

:arrow: SOURCE

TrophyHunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These sure are interesting colour schemes that really don't feel like they're meant to mislead the less tech literate people.
Reminds me of these bootleg consoles.

You can't go to a physical store and pick up an RG505 like you can do with a Switch Lite. And, if you're shopping online and you mistake one for the other... Well, that's really, really on you and you alone.

Is this a good device to start with? I just want to play some snes or psx games, nothing fancy. Since there are so many handhelds I didnt know what to pick.

You're better off getting an RG353V or RG353P. 4:3 screen for older consoles and one of the better chipsets, plus Android for better N64 emulation and such.

The RG351P is still amazing for GBA, but the 3:2 screen hurts anything and everything that isn't GBA.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It sounds like they used one of those one-click instant music creation 'apps' for the trailers music.
Or a website where you piece together loops

Reactions: Legitendo

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would avoid if you're in it for the GameCube emulation, as it lacks analog triggers. Probably isn't great performance either. It's pretty cheap though.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
the screen is a deal breaker, indeed. the next handheld with 4nm is on the horizon. ill wait for snapdragon 8 gen 2 or similar.

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don’t know what’s worse. The million different cloud devices or these stupid overpriced retro devices
It seems you aren't the target for this. Plenty of (not stupid) people are enjoying these retro devices as they are the cheapest and most fitting option for portable retro gaming.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s e waste

They don’t need a million barely different models to accomplish that
That's the point I see it as, the market is oversaturated with these devices and surely there's more than plenty yet they still keep making them.

I guess there's some strong demand for it, so.. more power to them?

Reactions: SylverReZ

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The purple Switch Lite looks very reminiscent of the GCN.

If it ever plays GCN games, that'd be awesome, but it doesn't have analog triggers so it's not a faithful experience.
the purple is my favorite switch lite color, I think it's because it's the only one that's not pastel

calagan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Vita screen is not good for retrogaming IMO. You will get good scaling only with PSP and Vita (remember that Vita emulators are not in a usable stage, and when they reach that, I doubt this device will run anyway). Those devices are meant to run a multitude of systems, most operate on multiples 240 pixels height. The vita screen have 500 and something height, so the player will need to either letterbox the image, or get a blurry image and rely on filters to fix it. It's ok, but not ideal.
Nothing wrong with with letterboxing emulators for older systems if the screen is large enough and and with high quality bezels like the ones which come with crazymac's pack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality