Analysis: Manufacturing cost and estimated sales of the Gateway 3DS by Wololo

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by EvilMakiPR, Jan 24, 2014.

1. EvilMakiPR
    OP

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    I'm gonna quote his entire Blog Entry

What you guys think?

Source

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? You mean a business is out to get money and not help the community? COLOR ME FUCKING SHOCKED.

Oh wait no, it's terribly obvious any flashcard team is out for money and not for the "community".

3. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    To say that companies are out for their customers is laughable. It's always about the money.

4. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Well, if anything that blog post was informative. I personally don't see how it demonizes the Gateway Team in anyway. Not that they really need help that department considering their current predicament.

5. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    honestly after reading this it just makes me realize how much of a risky business that this 3ds flashcart venture truly is, the profit margins are slim if you consider that they have 12 employees (estimate) and they are making 6 million by your estimate , over the course of YEARS , and assuming that they meet the sales you projected, which i think is highly doubtful, it still only works out to 500k per person for x # of years work, they are not exactly getting rich

i doubt that ds flashcart users account for a full 1% of the ds user base, and i bet that your estimate of 1.25 % of ds users using flashcards is grossly over exaggerated,

for one thing i can imagine that there are thousands of ds mode flashcards sitting on resellers warehouse shelves to this day ,not that that would really impact the manufacturers profit all that much as it would the resellers,

but the fact that GW requires a FW that was already months old when GW was finally announced ,let alone released to the public, it would suggest an almost infinitesimal amount of the 3ds userbase that actually have and are using these cards

i would love to know what the actual GW userbase is and what the total # of units produced in their production runs are, but we will never know that

6. ridiucle

ridiucle Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    of course they are a business to make money
    u dont just go out your way for nothing
    but people forget that gateway have made promises that everyone were saying they were lying which infact to date they have kept every promise they have made therefore have been good to the community
    the whole brick code thing i think is bullshit, yes there are 3ds's being bricked but there is no solid evidence other then speculation of a "brick code"

7. vorgrien

vorgrien Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Mathieluh stated that he has read the code and it is indeed real. If you are familiar with who he is then you know that he is indeed very reputable, especially when it comes to disassembly and code analyzing.

8. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Breaking News: Company Tries to Maximize Profit. Also, birds fly and existence is. More at 11.

ferofax, loco365, Xexyz and 6 others like this.
  9. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    can you imagine if the GW team was on sharktank, bet this would go over like a lead balloon ,all business venutres are risky and this is certainly no different ,makes me wonder though ,how did they get the capital for this, i cant see anyone wanting to dish out money to fund this it is high risk IMO

10. ridiucle

ridiucle Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    yet they say all cover over 1.1 is encrypted and unreadable

11. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Gateway is the devil, there is one truth that even its biggest detractors have to concede: the homebrew scene wouldn't be anywhere without them.

(And GW wouldn't be anywhere without y8 and neimod's research, but they weren't in the sharing mood)

12. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    :lol:

13. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    The only point I see here is this part:

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Okay, so the blog is obviously a reply to someone speaking out of their ass (communities tend to follow evolutions, not the other way around). But the breaking down of the price is a pretty interesting read. Of course the whole principle hinges on the fact that it needs to be able to actually sell them (some countries now ban these things as they're pretty much exclusively used for illegal purposes).

Gahars: what do you mean, 'existence is'? WTF...why wasn't I informed? When the hell did that damn existence started being? :confuciused:
    ;)

Veho likes this.
  15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Nice writeup, interesting read. It's interesting to know what's in there.

I don't fault the Gateway team for ramping up their profit margin. Grabbing as much as you can while you can is sensible business practice. What I do take issue with is the bricking code.

That was terrible :cry:

16. Chaosruler

Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2009
    Iceland
    Tekoa
    what Wololo proved is very obvious, question is why he takes a side? I mean taking a side against piracy is understanable but taking a side against team gateway might make us think he got something personal against them...if he's in it to take off gateway's mask he should already know it's useless, if a pirate wants to pirate his console he'd be willing to deal with thiefs for that

also, wololo might have a slight miscalculation there, according to some internet digs, gateway exploit firmware can be used on DSTwo, meaning DSTwo uses similar hardware to gateway exploit card, meaning that the DS card is probably with a CPU inside it like the DSTwo was, and DSTwo's manfucatring cost is about $15 by itself, or something like that iirc

tofast4u likes this.
  17. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    the exploit installer will run on every ds flash card that support 3ds firmware 4.1-4.5
    the one included by gateway is just a cheap r4 clone, about $3-4

18. Seqa

Seqa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2014
    Switzerland

I don't know how it's done, but tempering with the firmware seems to be possible. I have a 4.5 3DSXL, but this specific color edition (mint x white JP) came out in late April 2013. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is after Nintendo went past 4.5, no?

19. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    I don't think he's taking sides per se, but he is trying to explain the roots for the situation. He's not actually saying the Gateway is bull, but instead trying to explain the basic reasoning behind a company's work. Calling the Gateway the White Knight of 3DS hacking scene is absurd in many ways, since this is a company in question. If it was a random hacker that released the exploit to everyone and "let the scene decide" on how to use it, then we could have a White Knight situation.

As a side note, I find it kinda odd that people are ready to doubt and blame Mathieulth, yellow8, Normmatt and co for the problems here, when they were in many ways critical for usable flashcart software before. For example, how many people honestly used the standard AK2i loader compared to AKAIO? Sure someone could take sides, but then again, why would anyone start bricking people's consoles. If I had a Gateway for my 3DS (currently on 2.XX or 3.XX firmware btw), did testing with other flashcarts too and the code from the Gateway (be it their cart or someone else's) leads to my 3DS being bricked, I'd be pissed off. Really pissed. If this happened with the DS flashcarts, I'd have a dead DS Lite and DSi XL waiting for me since I did some testing with a couple of review flashkits (iEvo, DSTwo, AK2i, etc). But I digress.

Skelletonike likes this.
  20. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Because of the bricking code, basically.