Analogue Pocket pre-orders open next month

analogue pocket.jpg

Analogue's revival of the GameBoy through its own hardware is happening soon. The company announced today the date when pre-orders go live as well as additional details. If you haven't heard of the Analogue Pocket, know that it is a handheld that plays Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance cartridges. With adapters, it is also able to play game carts from other handheld systems such as the Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color and Atari Lynx.

Sold separately is the Analogue Dock which supports up to 4 controllers and allows controller connection via Bluetooth, 2.4g and wired USB. (you read that right, it supports 2.4g in addition to Bluetooth).

Custom games can also be created for the Pocket with GB Studio without prior programming knowledge. Games created with GB Studio are generated in the proprietary .pocket files and are playable off the SD card. Additionally, with its Nanoloop digital audio workstation, owners of the Pocket can also create their own music.

Pre-orders open on August 3rd, with the Analogue Pocket price at $199.99 and the Analogue Dock at an additional $99.99.

:arrow: Pre-order link
:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Super NT doesn't lose anything in sync with a real SNES. What you heard is probably one of the VSync modes it has. You see, SNES doesn't output standard 60Hz. It's something like 60.09Hz, but that doesn't play well with many modern TVs. The Super NT has three modes to compensate for this, one of them just runs the games at 60Hz, which would be the one that loses a second every 10 minutes like you mentioned, but you can have it run at 60.09 just like the real thing if you wish.
"
  • • it runs at 60hz instead of the proper 60.09hz of a real SNES
    • • it can run at 60.09hz, but only with either frame-dropping or tearing" - His Excellency, byuu/Near.
https://archive.vn/0dokW

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
those screen mods aren't as good as the funnyplaying kit, hence the lower price. If you don't want anything better than just a base GBA, then obviously this device isn't for you...

Hahahhah I buy these screens and they are EXACTLY the same as the funnyplaying screens. Funny playing only adds some double tape and a little shity piece of molded plastic.

Darklinkreturns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahahhah I buy these screens and they are EXACTLY the same as the funnyplaying screens. Funny playing only adds some double tape and a little shity piece of molded plastic.
They are literally not. They have visibly have different components, different brightness steps, and different ghosting issues. Go look up a review/comparison.

Last edited by Darklinkreturns,
Reactions: Kioku

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Q.E.D. + Fix't
/opinion
That's a pretty stupid mindset to have. There are some games that simply do not work with emulation or have major graphical bugs that render it unplayable. No emulator is (and probably will ever be) 100% accurate in every game without workarounds.
Granted, it costs a lot. You could say it costs too much. But, it's for the people who want to play games that simply do not work with emulation or simply want everything working in an all in one package with no hassle. The value begins to show.

We all know it is not software emulation.
We all know it is FPGA.
We criticize it because our criticisms are fair. And besides, it is not 1:1 with original hardware.
Not all of the criticisms in this thread are fair. Some dismiss it for being overpriced because emulation exists (likely because they don't understand what FPGA is). Others dismiss it simply because of Analogue's mistake with the Super NT where launch units had problems (which is completely unfair because even giant companies like Nintendo have issues with their launch units).

However, I'll admit it was bold of me to assume a product that isn't even out yet will be 1:1 with original hardware. But, given their track record. It will likely be the closest to original hardware a third party product can get.

Case in point: MVG's video on the Mega SG
I suggest giving it a watch. But in summary, he couldn't find any game or benchmark that wouldn't work with the Mega SG.
You see the market that this is orientated to now?

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You see the market that this is orientated to now?
I personally love the look of Analogue's products (including their function) and if I become a MUCH more wealthy person (or they slash their prices by half at least), I'll buy them.

Their leader markets his machines with inaccuracies and lies though. FPGA is not everything he is making it out to be. Super NT is in fact an emulator!

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,

Essasetic

General Spectator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I personally love the look of Analogue's products (including their function) and if I become a MUCH more wealthy person (or they slash their prices by half at least), I'll buy them.

Their leader markets his machines with inaccuracies and lies though. FPGA is not everything he is making it out to be. Super NT is in fact an emulator!
Whilst that was a very interesting read.
I find it a bit odd that the original link was taken down and I can find nothing else like this online (about calling out the Super NT for being an emulator).

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find it a bit odd that the original link was taken down and I can find nothing else like this online (about calling out the Super NT for being an emulator).
byuu has "retired".
I can find nothing else like this online (about calling out the Super NT for being an emulator).
Most people are stupid.

Don't you know about Byuu and his legendary work Bsnes?

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually no, this is all new to me because I don't generally follow the emulation scene in detail. At least not anymore.
Oh wow

I wish Byuu didn't delete his website. I think it's weird but he is a weird person for sure.

Bsnes is a "1:1" software emulator of the SNES. Seriously. It is nothing less than legendary. Byuu is the authority on this stuff. He is an absolute grandmaster.

There is more stuff he has done for SNES preservation, he borrowed every SNES cart ever (or almost?) and preserved a lot of info.. again I wish he didnt delete his site because I could have linked you some of it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bsnes is only "1:1" if have it onhighest accuracy mode...a disclaimer for you.
And you need a mad beef computer to do that.

I from me always use Snes9x GX, Snes9x, Zsnes, SuperRetro 16. I never use Bsnes.

I want to get another real SNES and a flashcart. Maybe a CRT also but no idea where I can get a good CRT.

hi heres an archive of his website http://archive.vn/aYZnS

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,
Reactions: Essasetic

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow

I wish Byuu didn't delete his website. I think it's weird but he is a weird person for sure.

Bsnes is a "1:1" software emulator of the SNES. Seriously. It is nothing less than legendary. Byuu is the authority on this stuff. He is an absolute grandmaster.

There is more stuff he has done for SNES preservation, he borrowed every SNES cart ever (or almost?) and preserved a lot of info.. again I wish he didnt delete his site because I could have linked you some of it.

Bsnes is only "1:1" if have it onhighest accuracy mode...a disclaimer for you.
And you need a mad beef computer to do that.

I from me always use Snes9x GX, Snes9x, Zsnes, SuperRetro 16. I never use Bsnes.

I want to get another real SNES and a flashcart. Maybe a CRT also but no idea where I can get a good CRT.

hi heres an archive of his website http://archive.vn/aYZnS

Zsnes has been officially declared as dead, dev has no time to work on it. Snes9x is the next best thing to Bsnes/Higan.

Zsnes makes my ears bleed due to the horribly emulated audio.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Take a look at the Retroscaler 2X over at Aliexpress. It's a clone of the Retrotink but way cheaper. It's very well built and works fantastically. Basically it's a zero lag composite/S-video/Component linedoubler to HDMI. I don't use my CRT anymore ever since I got it.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would anyone buy this when we have so many options to play GB,GBC & GBA games. If this thing had a GBA fat form factor then it might win me over.

Reactions: DarthDub

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is a gimmick, or at the very least the first reasonable forays into the electrical simulation/replication rather than emulation world, which will probably be a serious avenue for future fidding. That sort of thing costs if it is not done for the love of it and it seems about right for the BOM as I imagine it and general costs of doing things to in turn maybe make a small profit and fund the next stage.

That said with even half a thought put into either a flash cart + relevant device or emulation setup most probably will not be able to tell, and certainly not care, if you compared this to emulated device to real device running either a good flash cart or the original game. Emulation is pretty good if you want it to be (it is not 1999 with all the speed hacks any more, even on portable devices) and has loads of nice perks that are hard to replicate in hardware, even ones you could doodle outside the lines a bit for (which is far harder to do than most of that in an emulator).

Most likely you will get something very shiny that will impress a few nerds for being shiny, most people though won't care or won't even be able to tell the difference and likely won't care even if they do; much like you master an audio track so it sounds good on the nastiest job site radio most people playing these games weren't exactly playing it with glorious stereo on a colour calibrated monitor as much a random tiny CRT* with colour knob twisted so everybody looks like they have sunburn in their bedroom or maybe big front room with all their mates. I would not turn one down but at the same time my wallet is staying closed, not least least of all because I own flash carts for most things these handle.

*to say nothing of http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I can see the appeal when I think of it as an FPGA clone of the GBA, like Analogue's FPGA clones of the NES, SNES, and Genesis. It's a bit odd. I remember growing up in the GBA's heyday, and seeing Analogue clone a console only a couple years younger than me feels... strange. I guess I'm retro now. I already own a GBA and flashcart, so this isn't the machine for me... yet. For me, it all comes down to how people use that other FPGA onboard. If people could port Genesis and SNES cores to it? That'd be sweet.

I do wish Analogue would've taken better note of the Game Boys' aesthetics though. The sleek, featureless, black and white rounded box of a console is about as boring as a phone. Where's the famous candy colors the Game Boys were known for? Better yet, what about transparent shells? Show off those wonderful FPGAs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: A knuckle sandwich with extra grease.