Analogue Pocket announced; can play a variety of handheld systems' games through FPGA

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 16, 2019.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Assuming they don't smoke all the crack and somehow make lag/ghosting with nearest neighbour scaling (for others playing along then for a 2x scale you copy the pixel to make a 4x4 grid of the same pixel, which is why you want clean multiple scaling) and the pixel aspect ratio is suitable then unless the subpixels have a different colour or are dead then I would say you see them in the same way someone with oxygen free copper hears better sound.

2. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    At that high a resolution on a tiny screen, with a half-decent interpolation like retroarch's "sharp bilinear", you aren't going to need to stick to integer scaling. You can also get some very accurate filters to recreate the quirks of each display type. The individual dot matrix on your gameboys, the scratchy grid on your gameboy advance, etc. It really comes down to how much effort they put into the display scaling software to take advantage of this display.

Also waiting to find if this has an SD card slot like every other analogue console, and the inevitable jailbreak that will follow to use it. Bringing over at least some 8-bit home console cores doesn't seem out of the question either.

MarkDarkness likes this.
  3. PICTOCHAT

PICTOCHAT Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2017
    Antarctica
    Will there be multiplayer capabilities?

4. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    The difference is every other handheld device you own that you do this on which isn't a GameBoy is using software emulation. FPGAs create a perfect clone of the hardware so it'll play exactly like the original consoles, while including the modern benefits the system adds.

LonelyPhantom likes this.
  5. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    I was waiting for the email from them today - it will be an instant buy for me and I personally never do instant buys.

I hope this gets 'jailbroken' like their other stuff :)

Sophie-bear likes this.
  6. Sophie-bear

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    It supports GBA out of the box.

7. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yes I think it said there is a link port

8. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    the ghosting is totally replicable to a believable extent, gambatte has an option called frame mixing that does just that and is very accurate (I have a gameboy light to compare).
    the thing with the subpixels is not that the color reproduction between pixels may fail, is that having two or more subpixels represent a single pixel doesn't look the same.

look at this quick example of what happens when you represent pure colors with subpixels compared to native resolution.
    subpixels.
    at the left we have subpixels and to the right a single pixel.
    a red sprite would show evenly lit as opposed to have a space between pixels like the good old gameboy color/advance display it.

thinking more about it this could benefit gameboy mono if they leave an intentional row of subpixels off between gameboy pixels, displaying things as blocks like the monochromatic screen does.
    but gameboy color will look different.

grey72 likes this.
  9. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    haha we just found out about this today.
    the supernt though can dump stuff, not sure about mega sg.
    this thing probably will be able to, plus you can see that they made it dev friendly, so... yeah I think lots of things will be possible for it.

although if you really just want to dump and restore gb/a carts, you can buy cheap devices to do that.

10. smilodon

smilodon GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    France
    I can see this unit becoming a good choice for chiptune artists, it is even DAC compatible.

11. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2013
    its cool but defintly overpriced

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    i mean i get that argument.
    but who can honestly tell the difference between a good emulator and the original? also, if someone demands the original, do they want accurate ghosting too?

really, once crackling and screen tearing are off the table, 99.5% of the entire potential market for this is satisfied.

13. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    bUt It'S hArDwArE aCcUrAtE

Subtle Demise and FateForWindows like this.
  14. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    Well, the price is pretty heavy. But it seems to be a great handheld. I'll think about it.
    Edit: Well, I've just seen that it can't play ROMs. I can play my physical games on original consoles. I'll just stay with my GPD XD+ then.

Last edited by Naendow, Oct 16, 2019
  15. Sophie-bear

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    The people who don't care about accuracy aren't the market the device is going for.

16. calagan

calagan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2009
    Swaziland
    Comparing this device's insane resolution with the Switch's 720p display, and looking at Analogue's other products, I find the the $199 price tag surprisingly low.

17. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    Yea the screens resolution is great you're right. But for this price I also want some more features and not only the ability to play original games. I'd love to play Pokemon hacks on such a device, which I just can't do. And that is pretty bad if you think about the price.

18. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Switch Mini, which undoubtedly will be hacked in the future. Costs 200 dollars, and will be able to emulate all of these games plus far beyond what this thing will be able to do. It can also play Switch games. The machine looks nice, but honestly I don't know why they keep making these devices.

19. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    And when you're not gaming, it can mine bitcoins :ph34r:

Ryccardo likes this.
  20. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    If the Super NT and Mini NT are anything to go by, a jailbroken firmware could be released that allows roms to be running off the SD card.