An Xbox Live ban will mean losing access to (at least some of) your games on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is common for YouTuber’s to have Xbox Live accounts banned for ‘griefing’ videos, popular on the net.

Someone explain this to me? What it is, videos about geting banned because of griefing, or getting banned because of Youtube video trolling?

Either way Foxi4 is right, Microsoft isn't the one providing you the games usage license, it's the publisher of said games, and in no way getting banned from Xbox Live because of Microsoft ToS breach should block you from using these licenses on hardware you own (cause as far as I know game consoles are NOT rented for life).

Another way to stomp on consumer rights. gg Microsoft

Then again this is a problem they themselves created with their always online policy

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Someone explain this to me? What it is, videos about geting banned because of griefing, or getting banned because of Youtube video trolling?

Either way Foxi4 is right, Microsoft isn't the one providing you the games usage license, it's the publisher, and in no way getting banned from Xbox Live because of Microsoft ToS breach should block you from using these licenses on hardware you own (cause as far as I know game consoles are NOT rented for life).

Another way to stomp on consumer rights. gg Microsoft

Then again this is a problem they themselves created with their always online policy

Think MinessotaBurns. His videos are treated as "evidence" of his trolling and as such are used againts him in disputes with Microsoft. I do believe he's gone through 6+ XBox 360'ties at this point, but it's not like I'm keeping count.

I could understand that his account would get banned, but why the console as well is anyone's guess.

As for the license issues, thank you for putting my explaination into a more digestable format, that's exactly what I had in mind. Microsoft shouldn't be overseeing your licenses, that's asinine.

Reactions: SSVAV

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's like Microsoft took a shit on my bed while I was sleeping, then pissed on it to put it out while smiling at me and saying "Hail to the King baby".

Actually, to be serious for a minute, I'm sick of this whole modern day shit where you don't appear to actually own the things you purchase. Fuck off M$, Apple etc.

Reactions: chartube12

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Think MinessotaBurns. His videos are treated as "evidence" of his trolling and as such are used againts him in disputes with Microsoft. I do believe he's gone through 6+ XBox 360'ties at this point, but it's not like I'm keeping count.

I could understand that his account would get banned, but why the console as well is anyone's guess.

As for the license issues, thank you for putting my explaination into a more digestable format, that's exactly what I had in mind. Microsoft shouldn't be overseeing your licenses, that's asinine.

Then again videos on Youtube can't be used as evidence if they don't have a record of said interactions on their servers, as far as I know the videos could be edited to look like they were played on Xbox Live.

That's why the US legal system doesn't accept Youtube videos as evidence btw

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
People will go and act like total assholes in online games (abusing glitches to harm accounts, racial slurs, etc.), video record it, and put it up on youtube for laughs/fame/ad-money.

Microsoft spots these videos, knows who it is, and bans them.

Said person uses ad money to buy a new 360 and/or online passes, continues.

Reactions: Foxi4

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
But you're still banned, you can't get online anymore and thus you can't play your games...

He said you wont be able to play multiplayer, Maybe they just ban you from MP & marketplace & so on, But allow you to connect every 24 hours????

Just to add to the first post with an update to the tweet that has been posted.

d1r.png

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/345775684045660160

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...count-ban-comment-clarified-by-microsoft.html

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
He said you wont be able to play multiplayer, Maybe they just ban you from MP & marketplace & so on, But allow you to connect every 24 hours????

Just to add to the first post with an update to the tweet that has been posted.

d1r.png

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/345775684045660160

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...count-ban-comment-clarified-by-microsoft.html

Oh great so M$ has been pulling this BS on our backs for the past 6 years and no one noticed. Seems legit

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh great so M$ has been pulling this BS on our backs for the past 6 years and no one noticed. Seems legit

Thought that was pretty obvious... If you had bought DLC, XBLA, 360 Games from XBL on the 360 & your profile gets banned, You cant log in to XBL at all, So your SOL (Unless you already have it backed up on your HDD). Like you say, Its been that way for 6 years, But now its a problem? Seems legit

Just want to put this out there. If you get banned from PSN (They have recently started banning from PSN too), Anything you have bought with the profile that gets banned is gone (Unless you already have it backed up on your HDD). So there's no difference between the two.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thought that was pretty obvious... If you had bought DLC, XBLA, 360 Games from XBL on the 360 & your profile gets banned, You cant log in to XBL at all, So your SOL (Unless you already have it backed up on your HDD). Like you say, Its been that way for 6 years, But now its a problem? Seems legit

FYI, If you get banned from PSN (They have recently started banning from PSN too), Anything you have bought with the profile that gets banned is gone (Unless you already have it backed up on your HDD). So there's no difference between the 2.

...which is the crucial difference here. I really don't know why people can't see the difference between getting banned from a service and getting banned from using stuff you own. If you get banned on XBL or PSN today, you can't access the download lists as they're part of the service, you can't re-download because you're banned and you can't use the service's bandwidth. That being said, the content you do own and have saved on your drive works perfectly fine. Not in XBox One's case, apparently which makes the huge difference.

As a responsible owner, you should back up your digital content anyways, if you're banned from PSN/XBL, the respective companies have no legal obligation to waste their bandwidth on your sorry banned ass much like it's not their responsibility to take care of your discs if they break because you didn't take care of them properly - you should've backed up your content, it's your responsibility.

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France

FYI, If you get banned from PSN (They have recently started banning from PSN too), Anything you have bought with the profile that gets banned is gone (Unless you already have it backed up on your HDD). So there's no difference between the 2.

Yeah well when you see it like that it does make sense, kinda, still not happy to see they have the rights to revoke your license to a game, not like you are going to harm them if you continue to play games you already bought. Oh wait it is an opportunity to make you pay twice

Anyway the twitter post clearly stated Xbox One games and they responded with the Xbox 360 ToS, clearly not the brightest thing to do, and they keep saying how they don't have any more information. If M$ is really planning to sell you a service this time it would be smart to at least reveal what kind of service they will be offering, right now we have nothing and they cancelled all roundtables so yeah

I mean when I opened my bank account they were pretty clear about what I can and cannot do, not sure the whole XBox Live ToS will be available on the XBox 1 package. And yes this is a valid concern cause Xbox Live is now required to use the machine as opposed to use online services, and online services don't make you pay upfront without first presenting you the ToS

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait.. so we have an online only console, and employees saying if you're banned from Live, your games become 60 dollar paper weights.

But then we have another guy who's saying that's not true and that you'll still be able to access your games. But you won't be able to go online to do the 24 hour check in because you're banned.

Then we have another guy saying if you can't get internet, buy an Xbox 360.

Then we have another person saying TV TV TV TV TV TV Experience TV TV TV TV TV Sports TV Call of Duty

Then we have another person saying $499.

Then we have another person saying only 21 countries will be supported at launch and the likes of Japan will get it late 2014.

Then we have a rainbow colored duck quacking in your face while you're trying to say "Xbox, Go Home"

Microsoft, what are you doing?

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
...which is the crucial difference here. I really don't know why people can't see the difference between getting banned from a service and getting banned from using stuff you own. If you get banned on XBL or PSN today, you can't access the download lists as they're part of the service, you can't re-download because you're banned and you can't use the service's bandwidth. That being said, the content you do own and have saved on your drive works perfectly fine. Not in XBox One's case, apparently which makes the huge difference.

As a responsible owner, you should back up your digital content anyways, if you're banned from PSN/XBL, the respective companies have no legal obligation to waste their bandwidth on your sorry banned ass much like it's not their responsibility to take care of your discs if they break because you didn't take care of them properly - you should've backed up your content, it's your responsibility.

How Xbox one deals with the issue of checking in on you 24 hours after they ban you from XBL is still unclear. I'm sure they wouldn't just "Brick" your console... Isn't that illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: