An unfinished Game Boy Color game, Infinity, to receive physical cartridge release in 2022

2655e1153e25ee42bb53493e30367ccf_original.jpg

A nearly-lost Game Boy Color game will soon be making a comeback, on its original platform. Back in 2002, Affinix Software canceled their then-upcoming tactical RPG, Infinity, citing the dominance of the Game Boy Advance over the Game Boy Color. After the release of an unfinished ROM of Infinity back in 2016 sparked renewed interest in the title, the original Affinix team have reunited to finish the game on Kickstarter. The campaign quickly reached its goal of $16,000 CAD and massively surpassed that, ending the campaign with a total of $370,823 CAD collected. This means the game will not only finally see a release as a Game Boy Color ROM and on a real, physical cartridge, but stretch goals were hit to fund an enhanced port to Steam and the Nintendo Switch. These enhanced ports will still resemble a Game Boy Color game at their core, but are expected to have "small but important" improvements, such as modern aspect ratios and improved audio quality.

Infinity is currently targeting a mid-2022 launch, the 20th anniversary of its cancellation.

:arrow: Infinity Kickstarter page

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's also interesting about this project is that the publisher collecting the funds was founded by Retromodding.com and the cartridges will be made by InsideGadgets. Both have so far released pretty much only great products and their customer service is also top-notch. Retromodding's costum shells are really good looking and nice to the touch. Meanwhile Alex from InsideGadgets went so far to debug a glitch I found on a GBC 4MB cart that was never meant to run Pokemon Yellow, and had a patch for the clpd on the thing for me within 48h of reporting the glitch to him.

Personally I backed the Kickstarter and I have high hopes it'll be a high quality release both software and hardware wise.

Last edited by RAHelllord,

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is not like coding what is basically a 16 bit game is that hard. Heck since is a Gameboy game it may not even be that, it may be a 8 bit game with colors.

Don't forget that the game was basically 90% done when they cancelled it back in 2002, and the rom that was released in 2016 showcased about a quarter of the game that was fully playable and tested. So it shouldn't be too hard delivering on the promises the Kickstarter made.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like something on the scale of a 16-bit Squaresoft or Sega RPG, which is really impressive for a GBC game. The blurb mentions Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana as influences, but at least visually I see more similarities with Shining Force and even Phantasy Star. Really cool.

I would love a physical copy if I could afford it. And I don't know how you guys can play GB/GBC games on a GBA. I'm not a purist or anything, but there's a certain charm to playing them on an original system without a backlight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16