An 'Undub' of Happy Star Band?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Benandanti, May 31, 2009.

May 31, 2009
  1. Benandanti
    OP

Newcomer Benandanti Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Been wanting to play this for a while, but as you can see, the western 're-imagining' leaves a lot to be desired.

Is there any way to take the translated text and menu images from Divagirls and apply them to Happy Star Band?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Likewise, the same for Princess on Ice?

2. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    [​IMG]

If it makes you feel any better, it looks like Happy Star Band is being localised for the USA as Rockin' Pretty.

3. kosheh

Member kosheh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ....damn it, I remember seeing Princess on Ice's US release - how does Japan make everything better? D:

since i have this awkward softspot for the game [though, I've never played it!] I'll take a look now.

4. xshinox

Member xshinox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    princess on ice came out first in america then japan made it more anime-ish which IMO looks way better. hell, just look at the japanese cover and compare that with the american version. which is better? you guessed it, japanese.

anyways, happy star band and making the music are not the same game. as someone said before, happy star band is getting localized as rockin' pretty.

i have played happy star band and its quite good. 4 styles to play from (guitar, bass, drums, electronic piano). i cant wait to play it in english. ill buy all the outfits. as for princess on ice japanese version, i havent played it yet but i will when i get the chance.

5. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I'm pretty sure they are the same game. They have identical file structures and I was moderately successful in copying the script into Happy Star Band.

6. xshinox

United States
    edit: i just tried the game. it is the americanized version for europe. the music and setting is the same. when i looked at the girls, i was like OH HELL NO! they so ugly. luckily happy star band is getting localized as rockin pretty so that means english gameplay with original anime characters.

btw Vague Rant, is it possible to copy the american princess on ice script onto the japanese princess on ice? i want to play it with english.

7. LapisLazuli

Member LapisLazuli Thrills, chills, kills!

United States
    Aww, it doesn't come out till July 28th. I'm so impatient T_T

8. Jei

Member Jei Translator and romhacker wannabe

Brazil
    Also interested on a hack like this since day 1. Please tell me it's possible ^^

9. kosheh

Member kosheh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yep. However, you have to copy more than just text, though.

[​IMG]

That's from copying the system texts from the English one into the JP one.
    Maybe in a week or so I'll go totally nuts and replace everything for translation's sake. But if you want just bare-bones dialogue translated, well there you go~

10. xshinox

United States
    nice. have you also done the story copying? you think you can replace all japanese text with english or is that the best you can do?

actually, if you tell me how you swapped the files, i can do it myself...

11. serving

Member serving GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i've been working on undubbing princess on ice but hit a lil sang which is the story freezing before chapter 3 starts I need to know how to change the font as the font is in a file called ntfr

12. Agu Fungus

Newcomer Agu Fungus Advanced Member

United States
    Forget Divagirls. Dream*Palette all the way! Now if they re-released Princess on Ice with the Dream*Palette characters; but yeah, a fan translation would be nice, too.