An issue with my softmodded Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by glysegui, Jun 16, 2011.

Jun 16, 2011
  1. glysegui
    OP

Newcomer glysegui Advanced Member

Netherlands
    So, a year or two ago, I hacked my Wii for the first time. All I did, I believe, was install the HBC with the guide on WiiBrew, along with some apps. Frequently, I would experience some bad things, like the infamous "Exception (DSI) occured" frequently, along with my Wii freezing. :/ It never really broke or bricked, though, as I could perfectly use the regular functions of the Wii, like play games, make and edit Miis, etc. [​IMG] Recently, a friend of mine was saying how cool a hacked Wii is, and I told him that I had hacked mine, but that it frequently freezes and shit. He asked me what was up, and, as the conversation went, we came to the conclusion that I had not truly hacked my Wii, but that all I had done was install the HBC. -_- So, I figured there was more to do than just download and run apps from the HBC, like play backups through a DVD or USB loader, or back up and play VC backups. Mouthful. He linked me to this guide made by Mauifrog on the Wiihacks boards, that said "softmod ANY Wii", which I can't seem to find right now, for your reference. Arguably removed or some shit. So, I followed the steps for my European PAL 4.3 Wii without any problems whatsoever, but the very same keeps happening. All HBC apps freeze on my ass, and I'm not prone to try anything other than that, in fear of a brick. Now, I know I have preventive things like PriiLoader and BootMii, but still: fuck. Now that I've told my TL;DR tale of my inability to do anything outside of the box on the Wii without tripping over a virtual vine of thick "Exception (DSI) occured" and "screw you, I'm freezing on you", I'd like some help, pl0x. Note that this is my first post on this forum, and that I may have made this topic for nothing. If so, I appologize, but both the fact that I'm new here and can't quite find my way yet, and that this is a case of HBC installation > HBC installation + softmod might make it up for you. [​IMG] If I'm wasting valuable kilobytes of forum space, linking me to another topic and deleting this one, if pointless, would be much appreciated. :3

Thanks,
    Glys

2. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Re-hack your Wii from the begining using ModMii

Tell it that your wii is a virgin and it will download everything you need as well as a guide.

3. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    Thanks a bunch. Sounds a whole lot easier than the entire manual thing. Telling it it's virgin ought to go well, right? lolvirgin.

4. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ...wondering if your issues are/were cause by the infamous HBC network initialization bug....? do you have your wii configured to a wireless network? if not, but you have access to one...it's something you could try....

otherwise IIRC, launching apps from forwarder channels also bypasses the network initialization check and should be a solution to keep your more commonly used AHBPROT apps from crashing (ex. i use 7 different forwarders for the apps listed in the second line of my sig...just for convenience on my end though as my wii is on a network)

Modmii FTW...yes, tell it your wii is virgin...you can skip the initial HBC install (with the game exploit) since you have it on there already....be sure to run the hackmii installer from HBC to reinstall HBC if it's not running on IOS58....

5. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    >>brausm08
    It's connected to the internet, yeah, so it could be that bug.

As much as I'm unknown to a lot of the terms you just used, like "IIRC", "AHBPROT" and "IOS58" apps, still a nice piece of advice.

6. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ...actually, if your connected to the internet, then i can't be that bug.....

...as suggested above though, just run through modmii: hopefully all problems clear up... report back your results!

7. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    >>brausm08
    >just run through modmii: hopefully all problems clear up... report back your results!
    Will do, as soon as I'm in proximity of my Wii. Also, thanks for being so caring for and being so interested in my issue! [​IMG]

8. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    Results are in. Sorta. I ran through ModMii and got it all on my SD card, etc., but how do I use what's on the SD on my Wii now? When I stick it into my Wii and power it on, nothing happens. There's the HBC and the channels I had previously installed, the USB and backup DVD loader, and that's about it, looking at it now. I can't tell if it did anything, and I don't it did, as even the custom Wii skin I got through ModMii (Dark Red Wii or something) doesn't seem to be in effect. What do?

9. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    You may have found out about this, but still:

-IIRC is the abbreviation of "If I Recall Correctly"
    -AHBPROT is...erm...kinda hard to say. It's a relatively new way for homebrew to use an IOS (without the IOS having to be hacked in the first place).
    -IOS58: for a wii, the IOS is pretty comparable to the BIOS in a PC. Except that it has a whole bunch of 'em. IOS58 is one of the rather new ones that is often used by homebrew.

As for your more recent post...modmii is only the PC counterpart of things. If all goes well, you have a bunch of .wad files on your SD card, and probably some stuff in the \apps folder as well.

If you open up the homebrew channel, it should name the homebrew you put on your SD card (that's how you run any homebrew, by the way: just put boot.dol in "SD:\apps\nameoftheapp\", and you can find it in the homebrew channel).
    Those wads need to be installed. I dunno by heart, but it's likely that modmii threw some sort of wad manager in the mix of things. Look in the homebrew channel for a program called wad manager, yawmm, MMM or dop-mii. Run it and use it to install the wads you have on your SD card.

10. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    Managed to mod it. All the stuff ModMii threw on my SD card was diverted into several folders. One of them was called "COPY_TO_SD", so, logically, I had to put the contents of that in the root. How stupid of me.

Had an issue, though. Priiloader told me that there were no system hacks available, so I didn't do that part. Didn't manage to install one of the channels in the WAD manager either, but it was just a shop channel, so I guess it's no big deal. Also, for the COPY_TO_USB folder; does it have to be an actual hard drive, or will a regular USB stick (4 Gb) do the job too?

>>Wever
    Thanks for those definitions!

11. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    The statements in bold are very stupid. Why would you think it's okay to skip things? They are essential. Did you even read the directions?

You can try a flash drive if you want, but something that small will only hold one or two small games.

12. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    >>JoostinOnline
    The fact that I'm unaware of the importance of some things may not be good, but telling me they in fact are important would be good, which you did. Any way to fix those things? I figured another run through ModMii would be an option.

Oh, so the USB part's just for games, and not for further hacking/modding? Guess I'll do that later, once I've got my hands on a larger drive.

13. JoostinOnline

United States
    I think that would be the safest option, just in case you missed something else. Make sure you update ModMii too, because you shouldn't have gotten those errors.

14. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    Just decided to pull another run through ModMii. Once again, using Priiloader, I get the same message when attempting to install system menu hacks. When I pick the option, I get the following message: "Couldn't find any hacks for System Menu version: v54450". After that, I get sent back to the main Priiloader menu, only to find myself trying it again several times with the same thing happening over and over again. I remember having done this step the first time I hacked my Wii, so perhaps there's no doing it again or something, now that it's been done. Still concerned that it may be something critical.

15. JoostinOnline

United States
    Lol, you don't have 4.3. You have mauifrog's patched 4.1P System Menu (which is good). Install Priiloader v0.6 and put this file on the root of your SD card. Don't rename it.

If you install v0.7 instead, you have to put the file in "SD:\apps\priiloader\" instead. I still don't know why Daco Taco insisted on switching the directories from simple and convenient to stupid and annoying.

16. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    >>JoostinOnline
    I believe it's 0.7 that came along with ModMii's softmod package. Off to put it in that directory you told me of then...

17. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    >>JoostinOnline
    The file you sent me fixed my issue in Priiloader, and I got the hacks up and working! Thanks!

Once that was out of the way, I proceeded to the WAD step, where I once again can't manage to install the Shop Channel WAD. Anyone know what I could do to fix that, or could I just ignore that, seeing as how it's just a lame channel I've barely used until now, save for the three VC games I purchased.

18. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    When insgtalling wads you'll need to use a trucha bugged ios.
    In modmiicase this probably is 236.

Select it and preceed to install all Cios and other .wads.

19. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    >>Hielkenator
    What is it you mean? You mean that MMM thing? I used that to install the WADs, all except the shop channel, which didn't work, which is what I'm trying to fix.

20. glysegui
    OP

Netherlands
    Ran MMM and tried it again and wrote down what it exactly says. When selecting all WADs and installing them all, they're all installed one by one, and they all say "- OK!" after their names, except for the Shopping Channel, which says "- Title (-1035)". :/ Anyone know what to do?