Hardware an internal nand upgrade looks to be impossible for right now

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, yours is just personal preference. Nowhere did I state it being connected in handheld mode. You would be given the option to put certain games on the device itself. You don't think it's practical that's cool. Doesn't mean it's not an often requested feature.
look it would be a nice feature but i really dont think its gonna happen and it would take some technical hurdles

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re NAND crypto
Is this onboard AES on die stuff/serial burned into efuses or just soft encrypted? Equally any options for a sideload/unencrypted read? Thinking similar to the original xbox unlocking the hard drive or there being a raw read API at some level which could be coupled with bankswitching (if it is even necessary) -- if we are already going to be redoing half the kernel for any hacks then meh.

but the switch doesn't accept hdd's and 256gb has been the highest capacity until SanDisk came out with the 400gb one but that is 200$ and not many people want to put that much into a sd card. I never said the technology hadn't made advancements within the last few years i was saying it seems to have slowed down a bit.

Prices only go one way for this sort of thing, at least until it becomes legacy I guess (seen the prices of 2gb sd cards lately?). Equally looking at PCB shots I am not seeing any nice surface mount things you can drag solder. This means BGA, and probably something really fun like vfbga or similar pitch as we are dealing with small mobile phone style hardware, and with that comes the need for IR soldering (I can see regular BGA on hot air but not likely VFBGA). I don't know too many electronics shops that will see you walking away with much change from $200 for that kind of service and tooling up is not much better. See also that 3ds nand swap thing from a few years back where the guy took the chips and swapped them around.

Also I might argue otherwise on increases in performance -- you might have got too used to the doubling capacity model and missed that double 256 gigs is a lot of extra space in its own right. That said on "slowed down a bit" then so be it but how was I supposed to infer such a meaning from the post you made?

The dock appears to have USB. Bluetooth appears to exist. I am seeing a bunch of unpopulated headers, vias and test points which might serve as a location, it has game carts and it would not be the first time one of those has been redirected for external reads ( https://web.archive.org/web/20051220153223/http://natrium42.com:80/projects/serial.html ).

So far I am seeing a proclamation based on not an awful lot. Tricky thing doing that.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re NAND crypto
Is this onboard AES on die stuff/serial burned into efuses or just soft encrypted? Equally any options for a sideload/unencrypted read? Thinking similar to the original xbox unlocking the hard drive or there being a raw read API at some level which could be coupled with bankswitching (if it is even necessary) -- if we are already going to be redoing half the kernel for any hacks then meh.

Prices only go one way for this sort of thing, at least until it becomes legacy I guess (seen the prices of 2gb sd cards lately?). Equally looking at PCB shots I am not seeing any nice surface mount things you can drag solder. This means BGA, and probably something really fun like vfbga or similar pitch as we are dealing with small mobile phone style hardware, and with that comes the need for IR soldering (I can see regular BGA on hot air but not likely VFBGA). I don't know too many electronics shops that will see you walking away with much change from $200 for that kind of service and tooling up is not much better. See also that 3ds nand swap thing from a few years back where the guy took the chips and swapped them around.

Also I might argue otherwise on increases in performance -- you might have got too used to the doubling capacity model and missed that double 256 gigs is a lot of extra space in its own right. That said on "slowed down a bit" then so be it but how was I supposed to infer such a meaning from the post you made?

The dock appears to have USB. Bluetooth appears to exist. I am seeing a bunch of unpopulated headers, vias and test points which might serve as a location, it has game carts and it would not be the first time one of those has been redirected for external reads ( https://web.archive.org/web/20051220153223/http://natrium42.com:80/projects/serial.html ).

So far I am seeing a proclamation based on not an awful lot. Tricky thing doing that.
it just seems to be a very messed up thing in the first place time will tell what happened

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it just seems to be a very messed up thing in the first place time will tell what happened
So the takeaway from this thread is little and less (being a modern device from a security liking, even if not entirely competent, company you can safely bet it will be encrypted, indeed I am not sure you can even source NAND likely to be available for the next few years that lacks such an ability). Why is this thread still open/not eofed or is it worth changing the title?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yes but if you are like me and want to try out franchises and games you have nver tried before 256 isnt gonna last too long.

You could, you know, backup the data of the unused games to a harddrive?
Or redownload them later on.

Or use multiple microSDs.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You could, you know, backup the data of the unused games to a harddrive?
Or redownload them later on.

Or use multiple microSDs.
Nyko has a metal kickstand that has a compartment for an extra MSD. Hm.

Reactions: DinohScene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...