An Idea

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by ripkord, Dec 18, 2003.

Dec 18, 2003

An Idea by ripkord at 5:16 PM (905 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. ripkord
    OP

Member ripkord GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Dont you think it would be cool if we had a forum section dedicated to game reviews, merged with the new releases, so that when a game is released a vote or some sort of rating system could be incorporated ?

Then in time, extend it to older games, and sooner or later we'll have a complete game rankings archive...

I know similar schemes exist on other sites (gamerankings for example) but it would be good to have a collective opinion from you guys [​IMG]

We could then rank games by their score or their popularity...

Just a thought [​IMG]

2. Tempest Stormwin

Former Staff Tempest Stormwin Kweisatz Haderach

Canada
    We had something like this a while back (look in the forum index for GBATemp Magazine Reviews) but of the three of us who wrote reviews:
    Jex- is more active elsewhere now
    Solution 9 is rarely online
    I'm busy with classwork and other things.

I suppose if we made sure people kept to a good review template we could let nearly everyone post -- I'd suggest a "send it to the mods for review before posting" option, but that'd also be a lot of work for the mods (trying to keep everything in order, after all)...

I hope others notice this and can provide opinions as well.

-Tempest out.-

3. ripkord
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok Thats fair enough on the review part, I guess it would have to be moderated via submission, thus creating a lot of work. Instead, how about a ranking system, out of ten or five, that users can submit as part of the 'new release' post, and to help make the ratings more accurate (and stop them being spammed by noobs) you could make it only people with X amount of posts can rank a game, say 200 or something.. ?

4. - Wrath of God -

Member - Wrath of God - God

United States
    I want to rank games too [​IMG]

5. ripkord
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hehe, so do I, [​IMG] but patience is a virtue...

Besides 200 was just a suggestion, ultimately its up to the mods [​IMG]

6. - Wrath of God -

Member - Wrath of God - God

United States
    but yeah - they should just have a star rating for each news item. [​IMG] if it's a game, you're rating the game, if it's something else... you're rating how useful it is

7. GouK

Member GouK GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    I remember back in the day when tempest and them did reviews it was very beneficial for me they even reviewed some crappy ass games which IMO shows a dedicated gamer for putting up with such a POS.

8. Tempest Stormwin

Former Staff Tempest Stormwin Kweisatz Haderach

Canada
    A rating system isn't a good idea, in my opinion. We'll get lots of polarization -- many, many 10s, many, many 1s, and only about four or five that actually rate the game.

If this idea picks up more steam, though, I'd support resurrecting those reviews (they're still there), but with harsher review restrictions (i.e. must conform to a given format -- Alexander posted that format a while ago, and the only reviewer that followed it to the letter was me). Even if it's a moderated forum, all we need to do is open it up to every moderator.

It's got merit, but only if we do keep it open to full reviews. We'll need the admin to make an appearance on this one, though.

-Tempest out.-

9. Mr.Curlynose1

Member Mr.Curlynose1 HI ASL PLS

United States
    You're so leadershipful, Tempest. [​IMG]

How about we just get review writers like we did before, where you send a review you made to Alexander (that's who it was back then, it could be someone else now), and they tell you whether you can review or not. It worked before. [​IMG]

Either that or we could have just a review forum and do the same idea of submitting your reviews so you can be accepted to post on the forum. We could review all sorts of things, like Gamecube games, mangas, electronics, websites, mousepads... [​IMG]

*The Nose Has Left The Building.*