Homebrew An idea that should work "Flashcard Slot Emulator".

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TWLoader on top of nds-bootstrap is the only programm that enables 3DS users at all to load games besides from a flashcard.
And this is using the TWL mode of the 3DS as it was not possible otherwise.
So your suggestions are all not possible to do on a 3DS as the TWL-mode is just a little faster NDS-mode.
So just give up and buy a flashcard or use TWLoader for the time being, there will be no major developments besides TWLoader and nds-bootstrap on that front as there is simply nobody interested in it.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
not sure if it's implemented, but you could use desmume or nocash... if it has network capabilities in the same machine, there was a desmume wifi version, altought i never was able to make it work...

Albandart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Denver, CO || Blackwell, TX || Van Nuys, CA
XP
Country
United States
TWLoader on top of nds-bootstrap is the only programm that enables 3DS users at all to load games besides from a flashcard.
And this is using the TWL mode of the 3DS as it was not possible otherwise.
So your suggestions are all not possible to do on a 3DS as the TWL-mode is just a little faster NDS-mode.
So just give up and buy a flashcard or use TWLoader for the time being, there will be no major developments besides TWLoader and nds-bootstrap on that front as there is simply nobody interested in it.

Actually it is possible, the first two ideas are not impossible neither, it just needs a lot of files and processes that are tedious to do. But the third one is even less complicated. (But not simple) lol.

So I'm not a fully trained programmer, I just have the experience that I acquired doing some other projects. But I do know that there's a way to do it, it just need a lot of other knowledge that I have not.

Think that the 3DS CLEAN (without software modifications) is still able to read NDS cartridges, and to play the files send via Download Play. The 3DS has full compatibility with NDS games already. THE EMULATOR IS THE 3DS.

My idea is that, the 3DS should be able to read another cartridge reader if its connected (added to the hardware), the problem with this, is that it would load over the same icon, making it crash and also, I don't look over modifying the hardware. So... what it needs is to be cloned with another ID pattern, and this new reader could be just emulated, not physically added.
When the cartridge is in the slot-1, the 3DS knows it, because it reads the files on it. This will happen with the emulator, whenever it reads the file on a specified folder, it will load.

Everything is already on the 3DS, the files and the slot-icon with his properties, with other elements. With this and a 3ds batch file that redefine the address to read, you can emulate the cartridge reader. But we still need to make it possible to add the icon to the Home menu. To add the icon into the home menu, could be used a .CIA to install the icon (the cartridge software icon is installed on the 3DS, is a software).

To do the last part, you'll need something to make the .nds file, to be inside that emulated slot (that could be handled by folders and bat files in a computer... but I don't know the commands for the 3DS command prompt).

There's another hundred ways in my mind, I will write these down, and make more research, I'll try to do it after I get all the knowledge.

Is not impossible.

I say, that if you don't know how, it's not a possibilities problem, but a knowledge issue.

Thank you anyways for helping with your participation, every little idea is good.

Albandart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using two 3DS sounds very tedious.

Love to see this when you're done though

Yeah, is tedious, when you have to work with DownloadPlay, but with R4i flashcards it is faster. But I just have one here on Argentina, and was 20 times more expensive, so DownloadPlay still the only way to check that the maps are fully working, and that all the sprites are working as I want them to work (sometimes I add a code for water and get clouds) This happens 'cause I can't work with NSMBe 5.2, because if I add a sprite that is not from that map, I will make it fail.

But I'm working with a program that a friend have made for me to avoid the sprites issue.

I'll let everybody know once is done. The Project it's called "Newer Super Mario Bros: Another World"

I'm making it bigger than what it is (lol) but this is totally free, I just want to give people a NSMB vs. mode that they can play without getting used or bored to the mechanism of the classic maps.

(I got already 13 maps, the limit will be 20, because after the 30 the lag makes the game impossible to play, the game will experience lag)

also that way I put 20 instead of 29, and it gives me the possibility to do another version for the future with other kind of maps and stuff. I'm happy because it took me a month being able to make my first map fully work with all the stuff. and four more to discover everything to make it without getting black screen, or errors. I've been working on this these last 5 or 6 months.

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Convert a .nds backup into a kind of "DS Virtual Console" in a .cia format.
There's no "DS Virtual Console" Available. If Nintendo released a DS VC, then this would work, but I highly doubt they will so..(Use TWLoader + nds-bootstrap)

Convert a .nds into a DSware application that shows on Home menu.
There's no DSIWare app that uses a .nds or similar format. They "Ported" the game instead of emulating.

Install something like "Deamon tools" A slot-1 emulator for 3DS that emulate single or multiple slot-1 slots
TWLoader kinda does this, it emulates the calls of SLOT-1 and redirects them to the SD card. Developers are trying their best to optimize it to other games, give it time lol

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually it is possible, the first two ideas are not impossible neither, it just needs a lot of files and processes that are tedious to do. But the third one is even less complicated. (But not simple) lol.
Ideas are easy, implementation is hard.

Albandart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was as simple as you assume, it would have been done that way rather than spending hundreds of hours writing complicated solutions.

I've never said it was simple to do the things I said.
I said that is a way to do it, and that it needs another things, like people experienced on 3DS software.

I have some keys, but I don't have them all, that's why I can't do it, You can check some of the things. Also there's already a way to emulate a nds files, but is just for JPN O3DS, and it uses DSiware.
There's no "DS Virtual Console" Available. If Nintendo released a DS VC, then this would work, but I highly doubt they will so..(Use TWLoader + nds-bootstrap)

There's no DSIWare app that uses a .nds or similar format. They "Ported" the game instead of emulating.

TWLoader kinda does this, it emulates the calls of SLOT-1 and redirects them to the SD card. Developers are trying their best to optimize it to other games, give it time lol

Your totally and absolutely right on everything you said.
The first two were "quick ideas".
The third one, is actually based on the function of the TWloader, but using what the 3DS has, and much more work. It could take maybe less time to develop. (Real life example, Dreamcast it took 2 years to be develope, while Gamecube started to be develop at the same year as Dreamcast, but it took more years to be ready, and it wasn't the big deal).

I know a guy that is a GREAT programmer, and he knows so many things, that sometimes, he looks for the harder way to do something, because he thinks like a technician, when know not even a 3/4 of what he knows, I solved some processes faster than him. AND I SUCK PROGRAMMING. But what I say is that sometimes we need more than one programmer to do better, what the best programmer on world couldn't, maybe, do alone.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ideas are easy, implementation is hard.

Never said it was easy to implement, but instead I said it was simpler than convert a .nds into .cia

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A slot one emulator is not likely to happen... the nds bootstrap is essentially doing what you want. It redirects slot 1 reads to the SD card however the apps still pretty new and buggy/not totally functional.

Would be nice if someone could figure out how to redirect slot 1 reads in 3do mode too so we could effortlessly mount .3ds roms without any flashcard. However given the fact that there are ways to convert the roms to .CIA digital installs it is highly unlikely anyone will bother working this out. Beyond that generating a custom dsiware has yet to be totally figured out but it's not impossible. (Would likely even offer higher comparability than the bootstrap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1