GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Most people use NAND backups to be able to play around with the system files with no fear of a permanent brick. But it is used to transfer savefiles and stuff from one Wii to another by some people, because it's easier than copying each savefile one by one to the SD card.

But to use a NAND of a Wii in another you need to change the keys and other stuff, and if the new Wii has a bad block where there was vital data, it just won't work. So I had an idea: what about an app that doesn't backup the entire NAND, but instead copies every individual file in the Wii in a folder in the SD card? Then to restore them in another Wii, the app would copy (or replace if that file already exists) every file to the new Wii. I'd be like an automated tool to copy all the channels and savefiles from a Wii to an SD card and back (and maybe even IOSes).

Now this is only an idea; I have zero coding experience, and I don't really expect anyone to do this. I just want to suggest the idea because it would probably take less space in the SD card and any backup would work on any Wii of that same region. It's probably dangerous if something happens when replacing files, but that's what BootMii is for
biggrin.gif

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, it's a nice idea, but I doubt that's how the NAND works. The NAND doesn't use any conventional file system that can be read by homebrew applications (yet); NAND dumping works because it copies the raw data and assumes the recipient Wii can read it, and save dumping works because it copies the saves to the SD card and uses a more conventional file system. Most of the data on the NAND, such as the system menus and IOSes, can't be copied off onto the SD card in any format other than raw...

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have tried this already. i made a version of wanin's save manager that yanked every save from a wii and put it on the SD card. this part worked fine. the trouble i got came when installing the saves on a different wii. using wanin's save install code, saves can only be put on a wii that already has a save for that game. there needs to be a tmd for the game in question on the wii or the save installation fails. i suppose what needs to happen is the tmd should be ripped along with the original save but i havent tested this out.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
Hmm, it's a nice idea, but I doubt that's how the NAND works. The NAND doesn't use any conventional file system that can be read by homebrew applications (yet); NAND dumping works because it copies the raw data and assumes the recipient Wii can read it, and save dumping works because it copies the saves to the SD card and uses a more conventional file system. Most of the data on the NAND, such as the system menus and IOSes, can't be copied off onto the SD card in any format other than raw...
Totally Bullshit.
You can read the filesystem and dump it in files, that's how you use Triiforce.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
giantpune said:
i have tried this already. i made a version of wanin's save manager that yanked every save from a wii and put it on the SD card. this part worked fine. the trouble i got came when installing the saves on a different wii. using wanin's save install code, saves can only be put on a wii that already has a save for that game. there needs to be a tmd for the game in question on the wii or the save installation fails. i suppose what needs to happen is the tmd should be ripped along with the original save but i havent tested this out.
Nice
biggrin.gif
At least now I know it's possible
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.