Hacking An exception occured error when booting.

Xbox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so I was following the 3ds.guide guide to installing CFW 100% correctly, I am now on this part https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

However, when I turn on my 3DS, I get this:

an exception occurred

Processor: ARM11 (core 0)
Exception type: data abort
bla bla bla numbers

Can someone help?

Xbox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Download the 7z file here. Extract boot.firm to your SD card's root. https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v8.0

That is the same one I put on the SD card. Luma 8.0 and boot9strap 1.2

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Download the 7z file here. Extract boot.firm to your SD card's root. https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v8.0

I have done this now to make sure and it has made no difference.

zaqqaz00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated it, it said successful, it rebooted, an exception occurred. Would posting the dump here let someone figure it out?

Maybe your boot.firm is corrupted
Download a fresh 8.0 as in above link and paste it to the root of your sd card overwriting prior version

Xbox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi i have the exact same problem. tried the above and still not working? have you found a solution?

I got desperate, booted into recovery mode and updated my 9.2 3DS to 11.4. I seem to have custom firmware 11.4 and I can still access the Luma3DS thing and the other thing. I haven't tried to do anything else, but my 3DS is working. I'm thinking about getting a Gateway 3DS for my 9.2 O3DS XL, because that seems easier to install.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I got desperate, booted into recovery mode and updated my 9.2 3DS to 11.4. I seem to have custom firmware 11.4 and I can still access the Luma3DS thing and the other thing. I haven't tried to do anything else, but my 3DS is working. I'm thinking about getting a Gateway 3DS for my 9.2 O3DS XL, because that seems easier to install.
Is there some reason you were avoiding updating previously? Only reason I can imagine for neglecting to update to 11.4 is the lack of an easily accessible entry point, but once you're on b9s, that shouldn't matter.

Reactions: Xbox

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Gateway is definitely not easier - you have to use an emuNAND and find a way to update it to only 11.2, since Gateway never released support for 11.3 and 11.4. If you follow their "fast boot" installation method, then your console will basically be a brick if you lose your Gateway cartridge or it breaks (you can't boot up the console without it). If you use the old method (what I would do if for some reason I wanted to use Gateway) then now you need an internet connection whenever you want to boot it up. Or you could use the homebrew launcher, but you would have to work it out by piecing together old guides because that's all outdated now. And if you have problems you'd have to work out our yourself since very few people would remember enough to be able to help. Plus, if you accidentally update your sysNAND you are now locked out of EVERYTHING. And if you use a9lh or b9s, then you'll be following the guide anyway, with the added danger that if you boot Gateway mode on sysNAND, you are locked out of everything still.

So, in short, don't use Gateway if you are able to not (i.e. if you're not using their cheat feature and don't have lots of saves you have to extract).

If you need assistance with the guide, I'm sure we can help.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: wsquan171 and Xbox

Xbox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway is definitely not easier - you have to use an emuNAND and find a way to update it to only 11.2, since Gateway never released support for 11.3 and 11.4. If you follow their "fast boot" installation method, then your console will basically be a brick if you lose your Gateway cartridge or it breaks (you can't boot up the console without it). If you use the old method (what I would do if for some reason I wanted to use Gateway) then now you need an internet connection whenever you want to boot it up. Or you could use the homebrew launcher, but you would have to work it out by piecing together old guides because that's all outdated now. And if you have problems you'd have to work out our yourself since very few people would remember enough to be able to help. Plus, if you accidentally update your sysNAND you are now locked out of EVERYTHING. And if you use a9lh or b9s, then you'll be following the guide anyway, with the added danger that if you boot Gateway mode on sysNAND, you are locked out of everything still.

So, in short, don't use Gateway if you are able to not (i.e. if you're not using their cheat feature and don't have lots of saves you have to extract).

If you need assistance with the guide, I'm sure we can help.

I've seen tutorials on setting it up on a 9.2 3DS XL. Seems completely easy.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there some reason you were avoiding updating previously? Only reason I can imagine for neglecting to update to 11.4 is the lack of an easily accessible entry point, but once you're on b9s, that shouldn't matter.

Not sure what you mean. So I can continue with the set up of the custom firmware? I think I'm stuck in CFW anyway.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I've seen tutorials on setting it up on a 9.2 3DS XL. Seems completely easy.
They are probably old ones. Remember you will have to find a way to update to 11.2 only (old tutorials might tell you to update using System Settings, that will make Gateway not boot). AND you will have to make sure not to accidentally update sysNAND, or you will be locked out. AND you now have to boot into Gateway mode each time using an internet connection, or a homebrew launcher exploit. Compared to spending the same amount or less on the guide, and being able to use your system like normal.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16