An EASY(but a bit more risky) way to update Switch Firmware WITHOUT burning any fuses

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by quantumboy, Jul 18, 2018.

1. wsdyleon

wsdyleon Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    ON HEKATE: navigate to tools and enable brickmii.
    for me “auto rcm”,not brickmii, on hectate3.2

2. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    To answer your first question, you can load OFW without burning fuses if you do it through the sx menu (assuming your sx is above 1.1). You can update your xcis from here, but you still risk getting banned. You can also update the firmware from here but you must repeat the steps from this guide because updating the firmware will remove autoRCM and your console will boot into horizon when it starts, which will burn your fuses.

dragon926 likes this.
  3. Evered

Evered Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    I ended up trying this because I couldn't find the time for the other method. I held Vol+ when the download was at 90%, and it booted right into RCM. I wasn't able to boot into OFW using SXOS 1.3, I just had to use Hekate. Verified with BriccMii that I didn't burn any new fuses :)

4. LH1980

LH1980 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Canada
    What happens if I uninstall autorcm after the upgrade. Do I have to enable autorcm or can I just boot into sx os directly?

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Then you risk burning fuses every time you turn your console on UNLESS you boot into RCM first. Since the jig managed to do it without AutoRCM, you just have to be extra careful the console is NEVER turned on without that jig inside which is extremely easy to do. Even plugging in something via USB connection will turn the console on and burn fuses.

Also, since you posted in the right thread this time, I would advise you to report your original posts to a mod so they can be removed.

LH1980 likes this.
  6. LH1980

LH1980 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Canada
    If I use a cart to update from 4.1.0 to 5.1.0 and never connect online, will the exFAT still be activated?

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The exFAT update can only be officially obtained by inserting an exFAT formatted SD card into the Switch.

8. dragon926

dragon926 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2018
    Australia
    Successfully upgraded without burning fuses. Also getting to the latest firmware and getting exfat compatibility was done at the same time. Didn't need to go through it twice.

9. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    am I right in thinking that you always have to use a jig to enter RCM everytime you power on your switch and if you dont and run OFW it will burn fuses ?

I'm on 4.10 and would like to update to 5.x and install exfat driver, even thou I have a SX pro I'm waiting to see what Atmos or other CFM have to offer, so would like the option of going back to 4.10

Last edited by JoeBloggs777, Jul 19, 2018
  10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes, you must use either a very high quality jig or AutoRCM to prevent your Switch from booting normally and instead into RCM to prevent fuses from being burnt. However, AutoRCM is removed upon an official system update so that is why this guide has you keep the jig inserted and holding volume + as the update is installed.

JoeBloggs777 and Lacius like this.
  11. JoeBloggs777

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    thanks Draxzelex , if i remember correctly the other longer way of doing it could also burn fuses?

Draxzelex your a stalwart member of this forum, I would like to thankyou for all your posts, I've not been on here long, but your always willing and helpful to anyone who asks a question or needs help.

Draxzelex likes this.
  12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Following the long guide by rajkosto won't burn your fuses. Unless you do something wrong, it's not possible.

Following this shorter guide carries a risk of burning fuses during the first reboot after the update.

Draxzelex and JoeBloggs777 like this.
  13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The other way has you install the update 100% offline meaning there is no risk of fuses being burnt. It also uses a special version of AutoRCM that can still boot into RCM after the system update is installed. This method is tailored for those who have SX Pro and wish to do it using SX OS, not Hekate.

14. JoeBloggs777

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    thanks Draxzelex and Lacius, I think I'll hold out a bit longer and stay on 4.10 and hopefully Atmos or ReiNX will be released soon with emunand but then I'll still have the problem of getting the exfat driver.

15. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    Great guide! I might try this but can anyone explain to me what issues AutoRCM will bring? I'm talking about the sleep/power off/ battery issue.

16. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    just some inconveniences.
    1. only boot after u sent payload.
    2. have to use power off in hekate(or other bootloader) to actually turn it off.

17. Ericjwg
    This message by Ericjwg has been removed from public view by Chary, Jul 19, 2018, Reason: Dupe.
    Jul 19, 2018
  18. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for that! So you basically have to turn it off, turn it on again to the hekate or SX menu and use the power off option correct?

19. Lush

Lush GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2007
    Canada
    So to be clear, do you just insert an exfat card and when it prompts for the update, it installs the exfat driver AND the system update in one shot?

20. Euwlo

Euwlo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2013
    Brazil
    I have a question somewhat relative to the post, but also a bit different but I don't see a need for a new thread and I couldn't find any posts of it. I am on 4.0.1 and wish to update to 4.1.0, as I can imagine this can only be done using games that have 4.1.0 updates inside the cartridge. But, and that's my question, is there a way to rip an update from a xci and place somewhere on the switch memory without all that hassle from rajkosto method. I wouldn't be worried about burning fuses because it's a minor update and at least from what I know it's the same number of fuses in both versions.

TL-DR: Is there a method to update offline without a physical cart easier than rajkosto (at least in my case not worrying about fuses)?

Last edited by Euwlo, Jul 20, 2018
  21. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Have you tried running a backup that contains the firmware update you seek?

22. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    4.0.1 and 4.1 have the same burned fuses.(5) find a cartridge with 4.1 update.

but i dont see the point here. 4.0.1 and 4.1 exploitability wise, basically the same.

Last edited by Ericjwg, Jul 20, 2018
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted