Hacking AMS - Please somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong!

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My setup - Mariko Switch + SX Core + OFW 10.2 + Blank SD Card

Hi everyone,

I've followed so many guides and just cannot get Atmosphere to load CFW from EmuNand. I just get a black screen.

I've given up trying to migrate my old SX OS EmuNand and will be happy to just start with a box-fresh AMS install on a new card.

I followed this guide: https://rentry.org/MarikoEmuNAND (I chose Partition Based EmuNAND).

The only step I did in addition was to download the Sigpatches from the location specified in the article and extract to the root of the SD Card (meaning the sigpatches ended up in the right place, not in the root).

Hekate will boot OFW no problem, but when I boot AMS CFW I get:

1) Colourful AMS Splash Screen, then...
2) White AMS Logo, then...
3) Ninty Switch logo, then
4) Black screen.

Misc information:
  • I don't think I need it, but I have the SX Core license.dat file on the root of the SD Card.
  • I never updated SysNAND with Choi, only ever OTA (though I did use Choi to update my EmuNAND but as I'm starting with a fresh SD Card and not migrating EmuNAND I don't think that's relevent).
  • I've extracted these files to SD, as per the article:
    • atmosphere-1.2.5-master-1019bc54e+hbl-2.4.1+hbmenu-3.5.0
    • hekate_ctcaer_5.6.5_Nyx_1.1.1 (renamed hekate_ctcaer_5.6.5.bin to payload.bin)
    • SX_Gear_v1.1
    • Fusee.bin (not fusee.zip as the wasn't an option on the link in the article).
    • Fusee Sigpatches from ITotalJustice

***UPDATE, I've also now tried H.A.T.S. from sthetix but get the same result ***

Please, please tell me where I've gone wrong - I'm desperare to ditch my old SXOS SD card and upgrade my Firmware versions, but I can't upgrade until I know I'm safely working on AMS.

Thank you so much for your help!

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Reactions: BigOnYa

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I always follow this guide : https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html

Usually a black screen just indicates that something is wrong with the emummc partition.
Just to be sure, after you partitioned the SD card, did you actually create the emummc?
https://switch.homebrew.guide/emummc/emummc.html

If you just bought a new SD card for a bargain, maybe check if the card isn't a fake one.
Hi,

I didn’t follow that guide as it’s not for Mariko, but I’ve now read through and yes, the steps are basically the same and yes I did create the EmuNAND in the same way after partitioning the same way.

I might try a file based Emu, next.

Thanks.

Last edited by OriginalCopycat,

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I didn’t follow that guide as it’s not for Mariko, but I’ve now read through and yes, the steps are basically the same and yes I did create the EmuNAND in the same way after partitioning the same way.

I might try a file based Emu, next.

Thanks.
post your hekate ipl

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
post your hekate ipl

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=3
verification=1
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=0
updater2p=1

{--- Custom Firmware ---}
[CFW (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
fss0=atmosphere/package3
atmosphere=1
kip1patch=nosigchk
icon=bootloader/res/sysnand.bmp
{}

[CFW (EMUMMC)]
emummcforce=1
fss0=atmosphere/package3
atmosphere=1
kip1patch=nosigchk
icon=bootloader/res/emummc.bmp
{}

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm increasingly convinced this is an SD Card issue, so can I please just ask this question:

I have dumped my SXOS SD card's hidden EmuNAND using NxNandManager v5 to my HDD and copied the visible contents of the SD card to my HDD. Does this mean that no matter what I do with this SD Card I will be able to get back to the point I am at now (so long as I don't update my OFW/SysNAND firmware version to above 11.0?).

If I'm totally safe to effectively wipe this SD card, safe in the knowledge that I can get back to the point I'm at right now then I'll just do that and then repeat the steps I've done on this definitely working SD card.

Thanks!

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=3
verification=1
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=0
updater2p=1

{--- Custom Firmware ---}
[CFW (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
fss0=atmosphere/package3
atmosphere=1
kip1patch=nosigchk
icon=bootloader/res/sysnand.bmp
{}

[CFW (EMUMMC)]
emummcforce=1
fss0=atmosphere/package3
atmosphere=1
kip1patch=nosigchk
{}
change your cfw emummc to this and try

[CFW (EMUMMC)]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin

Reactions: LegzRwheelz

Blackfall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've had the same issue and somehow I fucked up my Sx Emunand Partition when I tried to migrate it. Even the SX Emunand ended in a blackscreen after that. I don't know why you want to save or even later restore it but I would suggest you the following things:
1. Dump your Emunandkeys so you can mount your backup if you need to restore something filebased (I forgot to backup my savegames because I thought I can go back if something bad happens. I was able to restore them filebased by getting them from the dump)
2. Backup your savegames so you don't have the struggle I had

Beside of savegames I don't see any reason why you would still need your old sx emunand.

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had the same issue and somehow I fucked up my Sx Emunand Partition when I tried to migrate it. Even the SX Emunand ended in a blackscreen after that. I don't know why you want to save or even later restore it but I would suggest you the following things:
1. Dump your Emunandkeys so you can mount your backup if you need to restore something filebased (I forgot to backup my savegames because I thought I can go back if something bad happens. I was able to restore them filebased by getting them from the dump)

Beside of savegames I don't see any reason why you would still need your old sx emunand.
Thanks. It’s just that currently I have a working hacked switch (albeit stuck on <v11 HOS) and so far all attempts to get AMS working have failed so I’m hesitant to wipe my working SD unless I’m SURE I can get it back.

Also, assuming I can get AMS working am I safe to then update both EmuNand and SysNand Firmware to the latest (and do I need to do one before the other)? Basically, is it just SXOS that doesn’t support v11 or is it my SX Core modchip too?

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Also, are Emunand keys different to SysNand keys, then? I can mount my encrypted Emunand user volume, for example, using nxnandmanager and a set of prod.keys so I assume I have all necessary keys?

Blackfall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why do you want to update sysnand? I mean you can update both but I don't see a reason why. The modchip shouldn't be a problem its just the sx firmware which is outdated for newer switch firmwares.

If you can mount the dumped emunand partition with the keys you have everything is fine.

There is a good guide with all steps you should do for getting ams working and even additional steps for marriko units but I don't remember the site and I'm not at the pc atm sorry

Reactions: OriginalCopycat

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you want to update sysnand? I mean you can update both but I don't see a reason why. The modchip shouldn't be a problem its just the sx firmware which is outdated for newer switch firmwares.

If you can mount the dumped emunand partition with the keys you have everything is fine.

There is a good guide with all steps you should do for getting ams working and even additional steps for marriko units but I don't remember the site and I'm not at the pc atm sorry
Yeah - I guess I don't need to as I never use SysNAND, so the EmuNAND can be higher and there's no fuses issue? So I should just use a tool inside my AMS EmuNAND to update it's FOS and leave SysNAND forever on 10.2? Should I not use Choi then, as I thought that broke Mariko's - what's the best tool? Thanks so much for your help!

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
change your cfw emummc to this and try

[CFW (EMUMMC)]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin
Thanks - as in you want me to replace my whole [CFW (EMUMMC)] section with the two lines you put, or just add those lines to what's alread there?

Blackfall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah - I guess I don't need to as I never use SysNAND, so the EmuNAND can be higher and there's no fuses issue? So I should just use a tool inside my AMS EmuNAND to update it's FOS and leave SysNAND forever on 10.2? Should I not use Choi then, as I thought that broke Mariko's - what's the best tool? Thanks so much for your help!

Yes your emunand can be higher than the burnt fuse count. My sysnand is still at version 4.x and my emunand is on latest. Ams is having a homebrew app for updating your firmware which is working fine don't use choi

OriginalCopycat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes your emunand can be higher than the burnt fuse count. My sysnand is still at version 4.x and my emunand is on latest. Ams is having a homebrew app for updating your firmware which is working fine don't use choi
Cheers - I was thinking I couldn’t boot my SysNand (if I ever wanted to) if I’d burnt fuses in my Emunand but I’m guessing whatever tool is in AMS doesn’t burn fuses if updating Emunand only.

Thanks again for your help :)

Blackfall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cheers - I was thinking I couldn’t boot my SysNand (if I ever wanted to) if I’d burnt fuses in my Emunand but I’m guessing whatever tool is in AMS doesn’t burn fuses if updating Emunand only.

Thanks again for your help :)

Exactly your burnt fuses stay the same because ams/emunand isn't burning them. If I remember right even booting to sysnand with hekate/ams isn't burning them only if you boot sysnand the regular way but I'm not 100% sure with that

masterprosync

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
fuse will burn or not ? if accidently boot without RCM or Jig into sysnand lower version than emmummc version? example my sysnand version 10.0.0.4 my emummc version 13.2 latest version

Blackfall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
fuse will burn or not ? if accidently boot without RCM or Jig into sysnand lower version than emmummc version? example my sysnand version 10.0.0.4 my emummc version 13.2 latest version

If you boot the regular way to sysnand without rcm/payload the fuses matching your sysnand will be burnt

Reactions: LegzRwheelz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
    NinStar @ NinStar: die?