Americans: How do you file your taxes?

How do you file your taxes?

• I pay someone to do them for me.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I use a paid computer program.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I use a pirated computer program.

• Someone does my taxes for me for free.

• I use an online IRS Free File option.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I do my own taxes (what's wrong with you?)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don't file taxes.

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tax season is pretty much upon us, and I was curious how other people file their taxes. Personally, I can't stand it that the United States doesn't have return-free filing, and I'll never pay a company to do my taxes just so they can use my money to lobby politicians to intentionally keep taxes complicated.

If you make under $72,000, there are several options for filing your taxes for free:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been in the US when tax season rolls around. Seems like a nightmare.

UK wise then despite being self employed, with expenses and more besides... actually took really long this year compared to previous years. A whole 20 minutes on a government provided portal. I keep my accounts on gnucash throughout the year (it has some US options) so just generate a income-expenses-whatever series of statements and plug the numbers in.

Anyway I don't know if it is lobbyist complexity efforts that sees the US have the nightmare it does but instead some rule that says the government can't compete with private enterprise.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been in the US when tax season rolls around. Seems like a nightmare.

UK wise then despite being self employed, with expenses and more besides... actually took really long this year compared to previous years. A whole 20 minutes on a government provided portal. I keep my accounts on gnucash throughout the year (it has some US options) so just generate a income-expenses-whatever series of statements and plug the numbers in.

Anyway I don't know if it is lobbyist complexity efforts that sees the US have the nightmare it does but instead some rule that says the government can't compete with private enterprise.
The United States could easily institute return-free filing, and the infrastructure already exists to do so. In fact, presidents of both parties have proposed it, but because of the lobbying efforts from TurboTax and others, it hasn't happened. TurboTax also regularly lobbies against things that would make filing easier, like a unified IRS website that would let one file their taxes for free, etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Use Turbo Tax as well, even if Intuit is a predatory POS company that tries to trick people who are eligible for free filing to pay for their shitty service. But they're one of the few "decent" services that makes it easy to enter self employed info, so it's just what I stick with.
Yep, another reason they won't get a dime from me.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

NNate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using turbotax for a long time. I'm used to its quirks and don't want to learn another software. I've heard good things about H&R Block software though

sonyabyrd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! This question has not been relevant to me for a long time. A few years ago, I used to deal with this topic on my own, but half a year ago, I discovered an alternative that saves me a lot of time and nerves, given that I am a doctor and do not have them.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Tax season is pretty much upon us, and I was curious how other people file their taxes. Personally, I can't stand it that the United States doesn't have return-free filing, and I'll never pay a company to do my taxes just so they can use my money to lobby politicians to intentionally keep taxes complicated.

If you make under $72,000, there are several options for filing your taxes for free:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free
I use to use turbo tax until they got greedy and stopped free file this year. And those assholes are sneaky.

The other so called free version isn't free and make you pay at the end. You had to in the past find the free file through secret links.

Reactions: Lacius

shanonchif

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! This question has not been relevant to me for a long time. A few years ago, I used to deal with this topic on my own, but half a year ago, I discovered an alternative that saves me a lot of time and nerves, given that I am a doctor and do not have them.
Hi

sherillstillie7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ehm, that's a tough question. Sometimes I do it myself, as I think it's not normal to let someone else do it for you, as they will see all your revenue and all the good you own. However, since the pandemic started, I became so freaking lazy that I just didn't want to spend time on that, so I paid some accountants to do that. Now, I have my personal accountant who does it for me. But, before doing that, I use https://www.payrollindex.com/take-home-pay-calculator/ to see how much money I would still have after paying all the taxes.

Last edited by sherillstillie7,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple