American student finds GPS tracker stuck to car, FBI shows up

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 4,310
  • Replies 32
D

Deleted_171835

OP

Mechanics spot strange things stuck under cars all the time, but when 20-year-old Yasir Afifi's ride was put up on lifts his shop found something that hadn't been kicked up from the road: a cylindrical tube connected to a device with an antenna. An extremely paranoid person would think they'd found a bomb, but the truth isn't much better. It was an FBI tracking device. Afifi posted pictures and his story on Reddit while a friend contemplated cunning things to do with it, sticking it to someone else's car or selling it on Craigslist. They didn't have long to ponder long before two "sneaky-looking" people were spotted outside his apartment. Afifi got in his car and drove off, only to be pulled over by FBI agents who demanded the device back, threatening "We're going to make this much more difficult for you if you don't cooperate."

Now, we've already given our opinions on using GPS technology like this and, while it's unknown whether these agents had a warrant to place this device, the 9th US Court of Appeals recently made one unnecessary for this sort of thing. The ACLU is working with Afifi to fight that ruling, and for now we're hoping that he, who is an American with an Egyptian father, is currently able to hit the town without agents following his every move. However, at this point they may not need a tracker: one agent who retrieved the device took the time to list off his favorite restaurants and even congratulated him on his new job.

One of the agents produced a printout of a blog post that Afifi’s friend Khaled allegedly wrote a couple of months ago. It had “something to do with a mall or a bomb,” Afifi said. He hadn’t seen it before and doesn’t know the details of what it said.
this post: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments...are_you/c0sve5q[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

This is outrageous. Plain and simple.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why would someone care if the government was tracking them unless A) they made the information public B) You're about to break the law

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
Why would someone care if the government was tracking them unless A) they made the information public B) You're about to break the law
So tell me, when's the last time you had sex?
Don't spare me all the juicy details.

Also, how's your financial situation? Why don't you tell me about the last time you went to the bank and what it was for?

Got any embarrassing rashes or blemishes you've been getting medicine from the drug store for, or have seen a doctor about?

It's called "privacy". Christ.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Ferrariman said:
So tell me, when's the last time you had sex?

Also, how's your financial situation? Why don't you tell me about the last time you went to the bank and what it was for?

Got any embarrassing rashes or blemishes you've been getting medicine from the drug store for, or have seen a doctor about?

it's funny how people think that anybody who wants privacy has anything to hide that they are ashamed of or something
same people probably give their SSN's to facebook
i for one DO NOT LIKED BEING STALKED, and by the FBI, no less

this is a huge violation of his privacy and the fact that he is a Muslim likely has something to do with it, sadly

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CrimzonEyed said:
....... i though FBI would have better equipment than that big thing...
The article I read, had a quote from a former agent who said that they are rarely found and need to be placed in such places so that it is harder for a mechanic or anyone else for that matter to find. I'd say the problem here isn't the equipment used as they get the job done and more often then not remain hidden. Unless of course you mean you thought it'd be some sort of James Bond gadgets?

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
antwill said:
CrimzonEyed said:
....... i though FBI would have better equipment than that big thing...
The article I read, had a quote from a former agent who said that they are rarely found and need to be placed in such places so that it is harder for a mechanic or anyone else for that matter to find. I'd say the problem here isn't the equipment used as they get the job done and more often then not remain hidden. Unless of course you mean you thought it'd be some sort of James Bond gadgets?
Nah not really. Only that my cellphone have built in gps works well enogh to plant on a car if i wanted.

EDIT: i tracked my mom for a whole day using google latitude + my cellphone
tongue.gif
(she works as a taxi driver)

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rydian said:
Ferrariman said:
Why would someone care if the government was tracking them unless A) they made the information public B) You're about to break the lawSo tell me, when's the last time you had sex?

9012imgay.jpg

I do agree with you tho.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrimzonEyed said:
_Chaz_ said:
Wow, that sucks.

Personally, I would have destroyed it as soon as I knew about it.
I would have sold it Ebay XD

"FBI equipment for sell"
That'd be great, but even if you had enough time to sell it, they could recover it.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
CrimzonEyed said:
_Chaz_ said:
Wow, that sucks.

Personally, I would have destroyed it as soon as I knew about it.
I would have sold it Ebay XD

"FBI equipment for sell"
That'd be great, but even if you had enough time to sell it, they could recover it.
that wouldn't be my problem anymore since i got the cash
smile.gif

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think the FBI would have had any legal recourse for recovering the device or damages if it had been destroyed. It's true, because of a recent court ruling, they can plant such devices on anyone's vehicle without a warrant, even if the vehicle is on private property, but it seems as soon as they plant it and leave, it effectively becomes abandoned, and the property of whomever's property it's planted on.

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"However, at this point they may not need a tracker: one agent who retrieved the device took the time to list off his favorite restaurants and even congratulated him on his new job."

So, they're blowing time like this. The reddit post wasn't even anywhere near a threat, either. The twitter incident with the airport bombing, sounds more terrorist-like. Either that, or the FBI can't read.

I don't know about you guys, but having a complete stranger tell you where you've been, and even congratulate you on your job, there's something wrong there. You'd think they'd also have some precautions of sorts. It's stalking, without the [censored]/murder.

Sure, it's a bit drastic/overly dramatic, but, whatever. what's possible, is possible. I wonder what would happen if I said a bunch of terrorist-like things. Since I don't leave my house at all, would anything be done about it? I dare them to try tracking me...
moogle.gif

[troll] I'm gonna' bomb GBAtemp! Let's blow up a school! Car bombing! Let's make twitter HQ crumble. Nexon America will become Nexon Americant! [/troll]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1