• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

America: everyday life vs that YouTube video

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,568
  • Replies 99
  • Likes 2

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
When it comes to education blacks are less educated then any other race. They also have extremely high rate of growing up in homes with single mothers.
Father absence is a big predictor of whether or not they will go into crimes. Father absence leads to more crime, less likely to graduate, more likely to be poor, more likely to develop attention deficit disorder, less likely to be empathetic, more drug and alcohol use, ect. Kids need male role models and in black communities they are not getting it.

I find it hard to believe the single mother hood rate that sky rocketed since the civil rights movement, and that 13% of the population that commits about 50% of the crimes, which leads to blacks going to jail more is due to racism. I also find it hard to believe that America is more racist now than it was in the 1960's when the single motherhood was a lot lower.

Last edited by SG854,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are more destructive instead of being constructive. Instead of breaking into buildings and burning cars, why not help blacks get a better education or do something that can make there situation better.
You uh... realize they DO do stuff like that, right?...

This may blow your mind, but I've heard that even the Black Panthers organized free dinners and protection and emergency care to impoverished members of their community back in the day

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

This may blow your mind, but the Black Panthers organized free dinners and protection and emergency care to impoverished members of their community
I'm talking about ones that don't do that. And instead being destructive.

Last edited by SG854,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see those statistics. Because for one thing, I don't believe this world is becoming a safer place now that North Korea is doing that increased gun production thing.
http://www.factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhetoric-vs-gun-facts/
I linked to that in my earlier post, it has the statistics I'm citing.
There's an excerpt from the analysis below the statistics:
"In 2008, we explored the issue of whether more gun ownership meant more or less gun violence. What we found, and it still holds true, was that some studies had shown a statistical relationship between those factors — areas with a higher prevalence of guns had higher prevalence of gun homicides and homicides in general. But studies haven’t been able to show a causal relationship — that the mere presence of guns, as opposed to other factors, caused the higher rates of gun violence."

Using the statistics and this analysis, I argue there's no way to determine causality between increased gun production and increased gun violence and therefore there are likely other factors also at play that need to at least be considered to get the whole picture.

Well, you are not wrong. Obesity is a problem. I honestly don't know how and why some people let themselves go like that. It's disgusting. Not to mention, the whole body positivity movement.
While that is something to laugh at, its not exclusive to the US. Although its bigger here.
Aside from obesity, i don't think there is that much to laugh at that can't be found anywhere else.
I feel like a lot of the news that leaves the US is just over the top stuff. I like in small city where life is just normal. Nothing out of the ordinary and plenty of business to keep the place nice and it's citizens happy. Life in most places is just like everywhere else.
But to be fare, i live in the south. It's different here than most places. People are kind and respectful. That's where the phrase "Southern Hospitality" comes from. There are places like West Memphis and Little Rock which have a lot of crime, but that's inevitable when you have large cities.

I like small city life. I don't live in Seattle proper, in the big metropolitan area with tall buildings and busy streets; I live in a quiet city/suburb in the area surrounding Seattle, and it's MUCH nicer than the big city. Nice people, good community, and basically a really pleasant place to live like you describe your city. If you want, check out this stark contrast: Seattle has a pretty high crime rate, but where I live not too far from Seattle, it's one of the safest towns in the country. You're right -- media will gobble up major stories from big cities while overlooking the entire rest of the nation's towns and cities where people generally live pretty peaceful lives.

Reactions: Stephano

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about ones that don't do that.
Considering the fact that BLM is a fractured organization grounded in raising awareness and peacefully protesting, I'd blame the vocal and destructive minority creating factions counterproductive to the original movement and the press covering them rather than the organization itself

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Considering the fact that BLM is a fractured organization grounded in raising awareness and peacefully protesting, I'd blame the vocal and destructive minority creating factions counterproductive to the original movement and the press covering them rather than the organization itself
The media always fucks up our perception about the world.

If they are protesting the police force then they are protesting the wrong group.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The media always fucks up our perception about the world.

If they are protesting the police force then they are protesting the wrong group.
... I mean, clearly if you're protesting a group of people who is systematically murdering your own people, I'd say you're protesting the right group

Reactions: WeedZ

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
... I mean, clearly if you're protesting a group of people who is systematically murdering your own people, I'd say you're protesting the right group
Black cops kill blacks more then white cops do. If it was racism then why do black cops kill more then white cops. And no they are not being systemically attacked by cops for no reason. Many blacks are not in prisons for small crimes like jay walking, but for worse crimes. Just because there is a disparity in Prison populations doesn't automatically mean racism. Its much more complicate then that with many factors at play.

Blacks kids are less likely to graduate High School. Black shoot each other at rates much much higher then whites shoot each other. Single motherhood jumped from 20% to 70% since the civil rights movement. In 1950 it was 17%. Children growing up in single mother homes is more likely to lead to more crimes, lower graduation rates, more homicides, more likely to be poor, more likely to do drugs. Did racism cause all this. I find it really hard to believe that we are more racist as a country now then we were during Martin Luthers Kings time when he was fighting for black rights.

I also find it hard to believe that the government planted drugs in the black communities to try to arrest more blacks, like some claim. Thats like saying someone planted a gun in my car so that lead me to shoot people. There is no evidence that the government did that, and even if there was, its still their choice to sell drugs. No one forced them to sell drugs, its all their choice.

Last edited by SG854,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh wait. I have to argue a couple points

This may blow your mind, but I've heard that even the Black Panthers organized free dinners and protection and emergency care to impoverished members of their community back in the day
The black panthers ended in the early 80s
BLM has been a violent movement from the beginning. It's well documented. That's why they're referred as a domestic terrorist organization.
The police aren't systematically killing blacks. They kill everyone, it's not disproportionate for blacks either. The only reason the statistic is so high, and this might surprise you, but blacks commit more crime and kill far more than any other race in the US combined. Look at the latest gun death statistics. Something like 90% are black on black. If black lives matter they should do something about the violence in their own communities.

This is why I fucking hate BLM. You take a serious issue like police brutality, that we were gaining headway with, then you have another branch of the snowflake generation come in and fuck it up. Every group has their own victim niche, they chose one that made things a lot worse, cause now people support cops more than ever. Fucking over this generation "me" bullshit.

Last edited by WeedZ,
Reactions: GalladeGuy

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TotalInsanity4 I think this is the first time we've been in total agreement
No it's not, we've liked each other's posts before :P I believe we also strongly agree on issues of ableism and vaccines 'n stuff

Black cops kill blacks more then white cops do. If it was racism then why do black cops kill more then white cops. And no they are not being systemically attacked by cops for no reason. Many blacks are not in prisons for small crimes like jay walking, but for worse crimes. Just because there is a disparity in Prison populations doesn't automatically mean racism. Its much more complicate then that with many factors at play.

Blacks kids are less likely to graduate High School. Black shoot each other at rates much much higher then whites shoot each other. Single motherhood jumped from 20% to 70% since the civil rights movement. In 1950 it was 17%. Children growing up in single mother homes is more likely to lead to more crimes, lower graduation rates, more homicides, more likely to be poor, more likely to do drugs. Did racism cause all this. I find it really hard to believe that we are more racist as a country now then we were during Martin Luthers Kings time when he was fighting for black rights.

I also find it hard to believe that the government planted drugs in the black communities to try to arrest more blacks, like some claim. Thats like saying someone planted a gun in my car so that lead me to shoot people. There is no evidence that the government did that, and even if there was, its still their choice to sell drugs. No one forced them to sell drugs, its all their choice.
'Scuse you, I've said absolutely nothing about racism so far, only of abuse of positions of power. I mean we can talk about that if you want, but don't project your own insecurities about how you view racial profiling by throwing unnecessarily defensive strawmen at me

D

Deleted User

OP
If you look for any kind of news source for the general idea of what american cops are like, your view is corrupted.

The media itself can't cover every single act a police officer or "cop" does, so when drama happens they are the first to report it. You never see them talking about the police officer that didn't shoot a black person, did you?

I know 8 police officers and none of them act like this, none of them act above the law (well, one was riding is motorcycle on the sidewalk but I called him on it :P ). Now, 8 compared to to thousands, maybe millions that live in this country is nothing. Hardly a drop in the bucket.
Well, that also means that what people see as "above the law" or "corrupt" is not even a drop in the bucket.

Also, notice how if it is anything but a white officer then they aren't found at fault? Just thought I'd note that.

And also this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...econd-guessing-themselves-20161006-story.html

If they are afraid to defend themselves and others because of the scrutiny they will get, then this country truly is pure hell.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The black panthers ended in the early 80s
It's a timely parallel, though. And that's why I edited it to say "back in the day"
BLM has been a violent movement from the beginning. It's well documented. That's why they're referred as a domestic terrorist organization.
Except it isn't, or at least not by any government organization that lists domestic terror groups that I'm finding
The police aren't systematically killing blacks. They kill everyone, it's not disproportionate for blacks either. The only reason the statistic is so high, and this might surprise you, but blacks commit more crime and kill far more than any other race in the US combined. Look at the latest gun death statistics. Something like 90% are black on black. If black lives matter they should do something about the violence in their own communities.
The first bit is a fair, and I should have been clearer on my part as I always let my emotions lead with stuff like this; what I mean to say is that there is a very clear, objective problem of police officers panicking and killing unarmed civilians, black or otherwise, and then using their position of power to protect them from any repercussions of what is literally straight up murder by any other definition. BLM focuses on Black lives, because... well... it's theirs. Yes, "all lives matter," but as you've just demonstrated people tend to go out of their way to justify or rationalize why a black civilian was shot, while that is markedly not the case for white victims
This is why I fucking hate BLM. You take a serious issue like police brutality, that we were gaining headway with, then you have another branch of the snowflake generation come in and fuck it up. Every group has they own victim niche, they chose one that made things a lot worse, cause now people support cops more than ever. Fucking over this generation "me" bullshit.
I guess I don't quite get what you're saying here

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The media itself can't cover every single act a police officer or "cop" does, so when drama happens they are the first to report it. You never see them talking about the police officer that didn't shoot a black person, did you?
"This just in: random-ass chemical plant in Utah is functioning properly and DOESN'T explode, leaving everyone in surrounding area living peacefully for another day."

Last edited by TotalInsanity4, , Reason: DAMN YOU AUTOCORRECT
D

Deleted User

OP
"This just in: random-ass chemical plant in Utah is functioning properly and DOESN'T explode, leaving everyone in surrounding area living peacefully for another day."
What I meant to get across is that they only focus on the drama, which heavily influences others opinions. I'm not saying the news is fake, or that it is always wrong, it just isn't a very reliable source unless you use different sources.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know where these borderline libelous statements came from, but without guns there is nothing stopping this nation from being a total police state. It's the threat of the militia and an armed revolution that keeps the federal government somewhat in check. That's why it was important enough to be the 2nd amendment to the constitution, right under freedom of speech.
Lol. Somehow Japan manages to be completely peaceful with nearly no guns and Australia very peaceful with very few guns. In Japan policemen are friends and you go to them for help, and in Australia at least you aren't generally afraid of them because you can trust them to only hurt bad guys. It's only in the US that the general public needs to fear for their life whenever a cop is around. Gun lovers hugging that second amendment is just like extremist Christians hugging particular awful statements in the bible that happen to align with their views. It's leftover from a previous era. Maybe in the 1800s a tyrant government was a risk, and maybe in the year 100 you really should behead someone who lay with someone of the same sex, but those things aren't relevant today. I can't prove that there's a link, but it seems unlikely to be a coincidence that the US has ten times more guns than anyone else and it's the country where police are scary and brutal, not trustworthy guardians like anywhere else. Maybe there's a third factor that is causing both of them.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I meant to get across is that they only focus on the drama, which heavily influences others opinions. I'm not saying the news is fake, or that it is always wrong, it just isn't a very reliable source unless you use different sources.
I'm not saying it's fake, I'm saying it's not worth it to report on things when they go as they should

Since, you know, the idea of a police officer is to ensure the wellbeing of the people they serve

D

Deleted User

OP
Since, you know, the idea of a police officer is to ensure the wellbeing of the people they serve
I agree. But when the media focuses on the drama and nothing good at all that persuades people that police officers are all bad.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like I'm in a loop here

Bad police officers are bad. But the media only shows those, unintentionally sending the message that all cops are bad because that's all they show.
Humor me here, I'm tryin'a get a point across

Are cops that aren't doing something objectively harmful, but are aware of a bad cop's actions and will protect them and make excuses for them in a way that ensures there are no negative repercussions for them, bad?

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted User

OP
Humor me here, I'm tryin'a get a point across

Are cops that aren't doing something objectively harmful, but are aware of a bad cop's actions and will protect them and make excuses for them in a way that ensures there are no negative repercussions for them, bad?
No.

If I am a lawyer, and I defend another lawyer for murder, am I bad for defending them? (consider this in a court scenario)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr