AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition or INTEL Core i5 2400

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gregor1997, Feb 27, 2011.

1. gregor1997
    OP

Newcomer gregor1997 Member

Slovenia
    Which one is better for gaming?

2. Bulit

Member Bulit GBAtemp Regular

United States
    intel core i5 2400. most, if not all, games don't even use all 6 cores.

3. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    i5 no questions asked. a 6 core computer is for things like 3d imaging not gaming.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Raven can guess what I'm going to say without me needing to.

Rule of thumb - Intel CPUs are 30% stronger than AMD CPUs. This is based on AthlonII vs Core 2, and Core i (before Sandy Bridge) vs PhenomII. A Core i7-930 (and later tha 950, which has the same price as the 930 but a higher clock) would greatly outperform the best PhenomII 1090T BE or even the 1100T BE.

Newsflash: Sandy Bridge CPUs (known as Core i3/5/7 2xxx) have 40% better performance than the older Core i range. How does that stack up against PhenomII? Do the math.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

The only fly in the proverbial soup, is the problem Intel have had with their LGA 1155 (Sandy Bridge) motherboards with B2 stepping. There is a design flaw that causes the SATAII controller to degrade over three years. Not all motherboards are affected (someone said somewhere that it's only a 20-30% chance of being affected), but it's enough of a problem that Intel have issued a recall to all P/H67 motherboards. Some retailers have decided to sell them anyway, because the SATA 6Gbs ports are unaffected so they are still fully functional (even if that limits to only 2 garanteed SATA ports).

Someone also said that motherboards with B3 stepping (i.e. the fixed design) are expected to be released in March/April.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Athlon II was meant to compete against Pentium Dual Core
    Phenom II against Core 2

they havnt released anything to compete with the core i series besides the 6 core cpu

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Hmm... I guess I lost track after a while then. I just think of it as "low budget system = AMD, mid/high budget system = Intel". Still looking forward to AMD Bulldozer though.

7. qlum

Member qlum Posting when needed

Netherlands
    they both preform about the same but really you can better save some money and go for a Phenom II X4 955 without really losing much performance.

8. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    If you're gonna get a new CPU, you might as well wait until more AMD Fusion CPUs start hitting retail. But other than that really, I'd go with buying an i5.