Amazon to no longer offer its 20% off pre-order bonus for remasters and remakes

amazon_logo_500500.png

For those in territories where Amazon is a major presence, the online retailer offers discounts when customers pre-order video games. While Amazon in the UK, EU, and Canada have all slowly tried to phase out the bonuses, Americans have been able to pre-order any type of video game, and receive a 20% off discount. Now, however, things are changing. Games that are a remake, remaster, or limited edition will now no longer be eligible under Prime's pre-order 20% off waiver. The new terms and conditions are as follows:

Offer does not apply to certain video game products such as toys to life, collector's editions, re-releases, re-masters, and product bundles including but not limited to console game bundles and accessory bundles.

That means games like Spyro: Reignited Trilogy, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, Shenmue 1&2 HD, and many more are excluded now. With the competing service of Best Buy GCU ending this year, Amazon is likely free to remove perks from their program, as consumers don't have another option.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Final Fantasy 15 is a quality game, yes. Comparitively medicore to previous iterations but still impressive when you look at current alternative JRPGs. The technology behind the graphics alone is impressive and Square Enix always delivers on interesting, new battle system concepts.

I am a few years out of the alt JRPG market but looking at the 360 era, end of PS3 and what little I have seen since I am going to have to say if it is the case then it is only because things have regressed
My usual go to examples are things like Eternal Sonata

Resonance of Fate

Magna Carta II

As far as Skyrim at least went it was flanked by interesting games, indeed part of the reason I never replayed it with shouts was because I had things like Kingdoms of Amalur to play.

Equally I would also have to say that games have possibly reached some kind of maturity and other than the earliest stuff a lot of PS360 era things are perfectly playable today and make about as much sense as dismissing a book, tv show, film or album because it was from 2010 when comparing things to current offerings (or if we still have some kind of "new new new shiny shiny shiny" problem to deal with then a 6 month old item compared to a 2010 offering). There is usually a solid technical or aesthetic/artistic reason for the remakes, rehashes and remasters for PS2 era stuff, save perhaps some xbox things, and absolutely in the case of PS1 era stuff to current but

As for preorders, again I view it as a silly thing in the modern world for most cases and seriously discourage people from doing it but ultimately it is a "do it or don't" matter, and while I probably wonder if there has ever been a collector edition worth having outside of maybe some of the Japanese stuff that for lunch money more came with a music CD. Similarly I so often see said collector versions at "get this huge lump out of my warehouse" prices for quite big games a few months down the line. To view it as some kind of magnanimous act or something is right out though.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It costs $50/year if you signed up for amazon student. Just need a college email. After the free six months end, you get prime for $50 for life.

In US, it is limited to 4 years and can be renewed if you are still in school as they assume that you went to graduate school, working on second major or not in hurry by take 12 credits courses or part time student.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
It costs $50/year if you signed up for amazon student. Just need a college email. After the free six months end, you get prime for $50 for life.
*4 years.

Luckily for me I signed up last year using my undergrad email. So I'm gonna ride that wave for a few years and then when that expires I'm gonna sign up with my graduate school email.

Would be nice for it to be for life though. This is also assuming that they don't change their policy. But, when was the last time Amazon changed a policy? Nothing comes to mind.

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How much content needs to be changed or added to not have it qualify as "re-releases, re-masters"? Would those Dragon Quest remakes for DS count? The Luigi's Mansion remake on 3DS?

Also, no more on Collector's Editions, when did that one start?

castdreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In US, it is limited to 4 years and can be renewed if you are still in school as they assume that you went to graduate school, working on second major or not in hurry by take 12 credits courses or part time student.

*4 years.

Luckily for me I signed up last year using my undergrad email. So I'm gonna ride that wave for a few years and then when that expires I'm gonna sign up with my graduate school email.

Would be nice for it to be for life though. This is also assuming that they don't change their policy. But, when was the last time Amazon changed a policy? Nothing comes to mind.

I've had Prime Student status since 2012, no mention of them ever disabling it or anything.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks amazon, you could also consider charging extra from people who'd rather have remasters than backwards compatibility and true sequels.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wat since when? They gave me six months!

That's bullshit. ...though it was 8 years ago so I wouldn't doubt it if it has changed since then. 4 years makes more sense than their initial offer lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

*4 years.

Notably, their privacy policy was changed, like every website.

They make minor bullshit changes every now and then. Like requiring sellers to utilize hiatus, free shipping changed from $25+ to $35+ USD, and not allowing any price match (according to some users, Amazon is still offering price matching for specific products).

Last edited by Pluupy,

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wat since when? They gave me six months!

That's bullshit. ...though it was 8 years ago so I wouldn't doubt it if it has changed since then. 4 years makes more sense than their initial offer lol.

6 months is for free trial but I’m saying that Amazon Student Prime is good for up to 4 years before reverting to full Prime unless you request the extension, it is mentiond by Amazon. There is no such as unlimited unless Amazon overlooked.

Check my post #72 for my email to show that my Student Prime was expiring after 4 years - started in 2013 under 6 months free trial and started to charge in Jan 2014.

castdreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is copy of my email about expiring Amazon Student Prime last year.
F4kKEwA.png

That's really odd, I wonder if I'm grandfathered in from registering for it earlier than you? I actually wasn't even an active student when I signed up for it, I just used my old community college e-mail that I had access to. I've never once had to submit any kind of verification that I'm still in school.

Not that I'm complaining, but I wonder why I've been able to keep my benefits now for 6+ years without having once ever actually been a student lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [He will] only make $1.5 million per night after taxes. Poor guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My stupid computer chair keeps slowly going down, but I don't notice it goes down, until I'm like reaching up to my desk. I just bought this f er last year.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    K3nv2 would know...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only for Bakers
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard he has a Wario fetish, but only if no Wizards are around.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    jk with you Bakerman, much love. fist bump.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He really knows how to kneed the dough
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Man. I can't wait til CTGP 8 comes out on Switch, been waiting forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Boners Makes me wanna play Duck Hunt NES
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pooping nice
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is a "Poop de Boop"? I've heard it mentioned several times now but have no idea and can't find anything online bout it. Is it a British term for restroom/bathroom or something?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It is a perfume
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do we have virgin islands if it's populated
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They should change the name to K3Nv2's Mom islands. (Or before he responds, My Wifeys Islands)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah me saying that's more predictable than you talking about my mom
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hence urewifes so predictable she'd buy every man on the virgin islands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or they buy her
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    true dat, on that note I'ma try go get some myself, peace!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess she doesn't need to be bought she has your money
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/-GDjDECLDG0?si=MNEjk8rkmioj1xE2