Amazon creates gaming division, shows off 3 upcoming titles

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    CrucibleKeyArt_1280_web.jpg

Amazon.com, one of the largest online retailers to exist, has decided to take a step into the gaming world, by creating a subset division called Amazon Game Studios. They plan to develop 3 games:

• Breakaway, a 4v4 brawler designed to cater to the live streamer audience of gamers. The premise of the game is that players create teams of "legendary mythological warriors" and work together defeat the opposing team.

• New World, a "massively multiplayer open-ended sandbox" game that focuses on "emergent" gameplay and has you fighting monsters, building civilizations, and trying to survive against other player factions.

• And lastly, Crucible, a game which sets 12 players on a planet where they must compete to survive against an array of deadly forces and can forge alliances or betray allies in order to win. It will also feature character customization.

These three games do not have a set release date, but you can sign up for Breakaway's alpha in the link down below.

:arrow: Source: Amazon Game Studio's Website

2. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Seems like a lot of it is Twitch interactive...

looks up twitch company owner
    it's amazon

...How should I be surprised?

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    all 3 of them games sound not just exactly the same as each other but also just terrible!

4. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Crucible sounds like Hunger Games.
    New World sounds like Minecraft

5. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Breakaway is Overwatch minus two players on each team.

These games might become semi-popular on Twitch, but I don't see them overshadowing any of the games that inspired them.

Last edited by Xzi, Sep 30, 2016
  6. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    I love how everyone is calling these derivative of other games...EVERY GAME IS BASED ON ANOTHER GAME THESE DAYS. I for one want to see more info before I bash these games

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  7. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Amazon are a major player in every sector they decide to step into and are prepared to drop huge amounts of money to secure a market share. I wouldn't be surprised to see them develop their own Amazon Fire console in the near future even if its a simple android based set top box.

Growth in the gaming industry = bad thing though apparently according to GBAtemp members.

8. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    I think it's fantastic that amazon is getting into the gaming market. I feel like if they really invest in this they will take the competitive market by storm.

9. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    They already have something similar it seems.
    https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV-Gaming-Edition-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00XNQECFM

They even struck a deal with Yacht club games to include shovel knight with the console (and duck tales: remastered).
    There's no question Amazon wants to dive into the gaming industry pretty bad.

10. Kartik

Kartik Gbatemp advanced fan

Jun 6, 2015
    India
    github
    All i wanna say is... WTF?

11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    This is an interesting turn of events. I won't mind seeing more companies getting into the gaming market. Getting tired of seeing the Big 3.

Tomato Hentai and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  12. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    Never order something from amazon because they don't ship to pakistan. :glare:

13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    well than they better come up with better games instead of a team fortress, moba and minecraft clones!

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Sep 30, 2016
    tbb043 likes this.
  14. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    I think it's time to taste a MOBA entirely designed and developed by Amazon, which is called "UNDERWATCH" XD

Last edited by leon315, Sep 30, 2016
  15. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Breakaway sounds like another MOBA, though I guess it could be interesting if done right. The descriptions of the other two just remind me of all those multiplayer survival games, like DayZ and ARK.

16. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Amazon has has a games division since the first Fire TV was released. I know most of you despise mobile gaming so that news probably flew over your heads. What I want to know is this. Will these games be PC games or Fire TV games?

17. Zeriel

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    The game is about anime waifus fighting on their underwear xD
    Amazon shut up and take my money! :rofl2:

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    They are doing pretty well at their TV/streaming thing and have made some decent stuff thus far. Equally they do have a quasi game console thing

Odd review to link I know but some of the points he makes seem to not be as considered among this crowd as they probably should be.

I am curious to see what they do here. I am not expecting to have sony, sega (if I am doing older stuff), nintendo, amazon and microsoft in lists but I can see them nibbling a bit of Nintendo's share and if the others are streaming boxes what also happen to do fifa then them too.

19. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    It's not the originality of the story, but how it's told.

Well, originality is bonus points. But really, an old story told exceedingly well is still a story told exceedignly well. We'll see if amazon can make it great rather than generic when they come out.

Last edited by osaka35, Sep 30, 2016
  20. Zeriel

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    I just want to play Good games, as long as they're good and they don't fuck us over with Micro transactions and BS trailers/lying to us, I think this is good for the industry.
    We don't want everything owned by EA and Activision 20 years from now. *Shudders*

Minox likes this.