Hardware Amazingly dumb questions i have, help please

ZuluEdison

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, this is my first post...so i figured i'd start it off with a bang and ask a bunch of stupid questions.

I currently have a GBA, not a ds. as in this one
gba.gif
not this one
yaynds.gif

I want to buy a cartridge for it and i think what i want is a flash cartridge, like this one:
cart.jpg

Now my questions regarding a cartridge like that, are as follows:
1)It has set onboard memory, correct?
2)which means I do not use an SD (or any mini-sd, etc) card with it?

then:

3)If I would like to get a cartridge that uses an sd card, is that possible to do and still use it with my GBA?
4)using a gba with any combination of flash cartridges, that will be all i need right? i won't need any of these mentioned passkey types of things?

5)let's say i get a ds lite, is there a cartridge i can get now that i would be able to use both on my gba currently, and when i get a dslite will work on there with no other peripherals?

YES, i know these are very
wtf.gif
questions, but i feel like i have looked around the site for long enough to not feel like i am majorly insulting anyone by asking. And if i am offending anyone by asking, please understand that that isn't my intention, and i love the site and the reviews, i'm just a little behind the times.
bow.gif

-sumner
wacko.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Most of the non slot 1 (DS cart slot) flashcards support GBA decently, m3, supercard, ezIV etc, but then you would be using removeable media (SD variant).

WildCard

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The picture itself says 1Gb...that's a gigabit of memory so yes, to question 1 and 2. To answer the rest, I suggest getting a cart compatible for DS that uses SD memory for the GBA slot (aka slot #2 on the DS). These slot 2 carts will work with both DS and GBA but you DO NEED a passme type card for slot 1 of the DS in order to play DS games (on the DS, naturally).

So basically it sounds like you are going to upgrade to a DS eventually but want a cart that works for both GBA and DS so you won't have to get a new one when you finally do get a DS.

I am no expert; I don't even one of these flash carts yet. I am waiting on some of the slot 1 solutions to be released before I drop my money on a flash cart. But good luck on your purchase, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will help you out.

ZuluEdison

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Most of the non slot 1 (DS cart slot) flashcards support GBA decently, m3, supercard, ezIV etc, but then you would be using removeable media (SD variant).

thankyou very much.

if you could clarify a little bit though one thing for me.

what is a non slot 1 flashcard? you referenced to ezflash 4, so well actually i guess i understand. it's just "non slot" makes me think of it having no place for an sd card, but i guess there is, so thanks for all your help!

ZuluEdison

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what i guess i really want is the EZ-flash IV (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=32250)

but i'm just kind of bummed that it doesn't have a RTC, which would mean no pokemon for me
cry.gif

ZuluEdison

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The picture itself says 1Gb...that's a gigabit of memory so yes, to question 1 and 2. To answer the rest, I suggest getting a cart compatible for DS that uses SD memory for the GBA slot (aka slot #2 on the DS). These slot 2 carts will work with both DS and GBA but you DO NEED a passme type card for slot 1 of the DS in order to play DS games (on the DS, naturally).

So basically it sounds like you are going to upgrade to a DS eventually but want a cart that works for both GBA and DS so you won't have to get a new one when you finally do get a DS.Â

I am no expert; I don't even one of these flash carts yet. I am waiting on some of the slot 1 solutions to be released before I drop my money on a flash cart. But good luck on your purchase, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will help you out.

ahhhhhhhhhh, that makes much more sense now. i'm actually a bit ignorant about the DS as it seems. i just found out today that it doesn't use batterries, and that it is recharchable...and i was also unaware that it had two different slots.

so what you are saying is that i could get a cartridge that would play gba games on the gba and would play them on the ds as well, on the gba slot? but it would not play ds games, damn i've gone and completely confused myself actually. you use a catridge like the ezflash iv for the ds, and it doesnt work unless you get a passcard for the ds slot or something?

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes

thankyou very much.

if you could clarify a little bit though one thing for me.

what is a non slot 1 flashcard? you referenced to ezflash 4, so well actually i guess i understand. it's just "non slot" makes me think of it having no place for an sd card, but i guess there is, so thanks for all your help!

there are 2 slots on a ds, slot 1 = for ds carts and slot 2 = for gba carts. Flashcart makers are just now dabbing into perfecting slot 1 (got ways to go still) and the slot 2 cards are still all around very dependable. And one of the biggest cons of a slot 1 card is the lack of gba support.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The picture itself says 1Gb...that's a gigabit of memory so yes, to question 1 and 2. To answer the rest, I suggest getting a cart compatible for DS that uses SD memory for the GBA slot (aka slot #2 on the DS). These slot 2 carts will work with both DS and GBA but you DO NEED a passme type card for slot 1 of the DS in order to play DS games (on the DS, naturally).

So basically it sounds like you are going to upgrade to a DS eventually but want a cart that works for both GBA and DS so you won't have to get a new one when you finally do get a DS.Â

I am no expert; I don't even one of these flash carts yet. I am waiting on some of the slot 1 solutions to be released before I drop my money on a flash cart. But good luck on your purchase, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will help you out.

ahhhhhhhhhh, that makes much more sense now. i'm actually a bit ignorant about the DS as it seems. i just found out today that it doesn't use batterries, and that it is recharchable...and i was also unaware that it had two different slots.

so what you are saying is that i could get a cartridge that would play gba games on the gba and would play them on the ds as well, on the gba slot? but it would not play ds games, damn i've gone and completely confused myself actually. you use a catridge like the ezflash iv for the ds, and it doesnt work unless you get a passcard for the ds slot or something?

Yes you can run any kind of gba cart in the ds in gba mode and it'll work just like your gameboy advance. To get the flashcart to run in DS mode (to play ds games and to run DS homebrew) you need a passme device/method (like a passcard) to skip the DS' factory authenticity checks.

ZuluEdison

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AHHHH, thankyou both very much.

i think i now fully understand.

thankyou both very much for your help.

shy.gif

i'm still just bummed about the lack of rtc with ezflash iv, but i guess that isn't really that big of a deal.

ZuluEdison

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trust me, i know how ridiculous it is that i am weighing my purchase on whether or not i can play pokemon.

i am in fact 16. As a 16 year old, i think i am allowed to hate highschool. as such i need something to do alot of the time, and pokemon comes in handy in various classes.

but because you guys helped me out i promise not to soil my ds with it...much.

darkpaladinmfc

Trophies
XP
Country
hah, no that's cool.

i can't even think of any actual ds games right now, besides mariokart...

what's good?
Final Fantasy III, Yoshi's Island DS, Metroid Prime Hunter, Phoenix Wright 1/2, Trauma Centre, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64 DS, Star Fox Assault, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Mega Man ZX, and the list goes on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou