GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes its by Gameloft but they actually did a good job of it as well
This actually looks really impressive. I wonder how similar it is to the other versions... This actually looks sort of like a spiritual successor to Gameloft's other mobile Spidey game, "Spider-Man: Total Mayhem," which was actually a really good game (despite having a somewhat unexpectedly anticlimactic ending). I notice that the music in the early half of this video is a direct recycle of some of the music from Total Mayhem. :D

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes its by Gameloft but they actually did a good job of it as well
This actually looks really impressive. I wonder how similar it is to the other versions... This actually looks sort of like a spiritual successor to Gameloft's other mobile Spidey game, "Spider-Man: Total Mayhem," which was actually a really good game (despite having a somewhat unexpectedly anticlimactic ending). I notice that the music in the early half of this video is a direct recycle of some of the music from Total Mayhem. :D

Added a video of some guy doing a review.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unsure of that really as I dont know how the 3DS comapares with mobiles. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it runs really well, but I dont know what the minimum spec of the game is. The Android version of the game is only £4.99 which compared to the price of the 3DS game its a bargain.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Here I thought the 3ds was the reason it wasn't open world. So, is this a instance of devs being lazy?
Perhaps the 3DS has a more limited draw distance?

If MGS3, a PS2 game is easily possible then I don't see why anything remotely close to Spider-man 2 or even Ultimate Spider-man isn't...

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If MGS3, a PS2 game is easily possible then I don't see why anything remotely close to Spider-man 2 or even Ultimate Spider-man isn't...
That's a good point but, at the same time, it may be an issue of draw distance. Even Ocarina of Time 3D had the "fog" effect. And the fact that the fog effect was reduced, but still present, might prove they at least tried to minimize it, but it was impossible to eliminate it. And an open world game like the console version of The Amazing Spider-Man would require WAY more draw distance than Ocarina of Time would.

D

Deleted_171835

That's a good point but, at the same time, it may be an issue of draw distance. Even Ocarina of Time 3D had the "fog" effect. And the fact that the fog effect was reduced, but still present, might prove they at least tried to minimize it, but it was impossible to eliminate it. And an open world game like the console version of The Amazing Spider-Man would require WAY more draw distance than Ocarina of Time would.
Ocarina 3D had the fog effect as a result of design (and the fact that the 3DS has fog as a fixed function so they might as well put it into use like games such as Revelations and MGS3 did). It wasn't the result of any limitations.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina 3D had the fog effect as a result of design (and the fact that the 3DS has fog as a fixed function so they might as well put it into use like games such as Revelations and MGS3 did). It wasn't the result of any limitations.
Why was it there, then? I thought the fog effect was designed in the first place to overcome the limitations of draw distance on the N64. I would've thought that the 3DS version would've had it removed if it was capable of going without it (most N64 emulators I've played have a simple hack that removes the fog effect).

D

Deleted_171835

Why was it there, then? I thought the fog effect was designed in the first place to overcome the limitations of draw distance on the N64. I would've thought that the 3DS version would've had it removed if it was capable of going without it (most N64 emulators I've played have a simple hack that removes the fog effect).
The fog isn't anywhere near as pronounced as it was in the N64 version. They kept a little bit in this version because it fits the area (design like I said).

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The fog isn't anywhere near as pronounced as it was in the N64 version. They kept a little bit in this version because it fits the area (design like I said).
I know it's not as pronounced, but what do you mean it "fits the area"? (Sorry I keep asking possibly stupid questions)

D

Deleted_171835

I know it's not as pronounced, but what do you mean it "fits the area"? (Sorry I keep asking possibly stupid questions)
Well the overall aesthetic of Kokiri Forest works well with fog. It adds a sense of mystery...

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well the overall aesthetic of Kokiri Forest works well with fog. It adds a sense of mystery...
I'm debating whether I agree with that... I mean, they actually did increase the draw distance in Kokiri Forest (if I remember correctly, the kokiri children become visible when you're further away, as opposed to the N64 version), so I'm not sure why they would do that if they wanted to "preserve the mystery". but either way, I see your point.

D

Deleted_171835

I'm debating whether I agree with that... I mean, they actually did increase the draw distance in Kokiri Forest (if I remember correctly, the kokiri children become visible when you're further away, as opposed to the N64 version), so I'm not sure why they would do that if they wanted to "preserve the mystery". but either way, I see your point.
If they increased the draw distance, then tell me why else would they add fog? After all, fog is used to address poor draw distance.

There isn't even that much fog. Only a little because it suits the area and not nearly enough to hide poor draw-distances.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If they increased the draw distance, then tell me why else would they add fog? After all, fog is used to address poor draw distance.
There isn't even that much fog. Only a little because it suits the area and not nearly enough to hide poor draw-distances.
I'm just saying maybe they increased the draw distance as much as they could, but it still wasn't enough to fully eliminate fog entirely. I wouldn't know, it's just a guess.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just saying maybe they increased the draw distance as much as they could, but it still wasn't enough to fully eliminate fog entirely. I wouldn't know, it's just a guess.

Even if it were the draw distance have you played Spidey Web of Shadows on wii? That game had a massive sprawling city, with pop up a plenty.

The game wasn't that great mind you, but it was still better than this tripe.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Even if it were the draw distance have you played Spidey Web of Shadows on wii? That game had a massive sprawling city, with pop up a plenty.

The game wasn't that great mind you, but it was still better than this tripe.
No, I haven't played Spider-Man: Web of Shadows in any format. In fact, the only Spider-Man games I ever played before this are Total Mayhem for smartphone and Spider-Man 2 on consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: