Am I the only one who doesn't like Nintendo's GUI for their HD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Robotic Earthlin, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

Member Robotic Earthlin GBAtemp Regular

I'm talking about this:

From a design/practicality perspective it could be better, in my opinion. There is no reason why the title of the game should be hidden for even a split second. Especially if you're just scrolling through games trying to find that one you want to play. Also, there seem to be only 4-5 games onscreen at a time. Ideally a GUI should have a large number of choices onscreen at a time, and make it easy to identify the game you want.

IMO Coverflow or boxart thumbnails is the most practical option. Plenty of games onscreen at a time, plenty of screentime for each game when you're scrolling quickly, and each game is easily identifiable as it scrolls by.

I'm bringing this up because there seem to be a lot of people thinking that Nintendo's GUI is the "be all and end all" of GUIs just because it was made by Nintendo, without stopping to consider the fact that there may be something that's both simpler and better for our uses. (I realize it's fine for the hospitals and stuff where Nintendo puts it.)

Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Not trying to whine, I just want to make sure other options are considered.

2. gitkua

Member gitkua GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I totally agree... the swirly action makes me seasick... In my opinion, the coverflow demo that's posted in Hibern's thread is way more classy, less is more (it applies to everything and is ALWAYS true [​IMG]) This GUI is not the holy grail...

3. unheared

Newcomer unheared Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    that would be cool if it was a usb loader.
    lets hope some one makes it.

4. milkit

Newcomer milkit Member

United States
    oh ok....

5. gitkua

Member gitkua GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Yeah, the thread is about the exact opposite

6. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    tis RUBBISH! I'm sick in the stomach now!

7. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Well, I also don't like it, Coverflow is better, this is rubbish, but what's the sense behind this Thread? You'll maybe get some people that say: "I hate it too", and some that say "I want it"...and now? Live continues normally...no actions taken...anyways...good to see someone thinks also so...[​IMG]

8. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Yes, it's not practical at all. It wasn't designed to be practical. It was designed to look good. And that's what it does.
    Maybe it would be hard to use if you have 200+ games, but at least I don't have the money to buy that much games. Neither have you, for that matter..
    Still you can't deny it doesn't look good. And I can't see how coverflow is any more practical than this..

9. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    I like coverflow more.

10. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wait what?
    Can someone please explain what this is?

Nintendo is making a hd loader?

11. SpongeFreak52

Member SpongeFreak52 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's a machine developed by Starlight, which basically has a heapload of games on a hard drive, and the location can choose to download other titles. Normally these can be found in places like children's hospitals.

12. alfatreze

Newcomer alfatreze Member

Portugal
    Well, I believe that UI is made for use in hospitals, mostly for sick kids, the scope of the project would certainly be for only a limited amount of games and a very visual, clean interface.

I actually believe they succeeded to satisfy the target, as it gives a very material feeling to the games and anyone can easily understand it. When you have only a couple of games you'll easily identify them by image much more so than names. It also eliminates language barriers.

Bashing the UI for not fitting the concept you want, for a media center like application is plainly wrong and lame.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Thanks for the explanation

14. Shinigami Kiba

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    :wtf: I had no idea Nintendo had their own "USB/HDD Loader" lol
    and i don't think it's that bad, I actually kinda like it

15. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

Sorry if my original post came off as a little harsh. I'm not bashing the GUI in general. I believe it does its job very well for its purposes and target audience.

I'm just saying that we, as people who have a library of backups, shouldn't look to that GUI as the holy grail of GUIs, because I know there are possibilities for designs that are more fitting to our uses.

I agree that it does look good, and I know practicality isn't a huge deal as long as it works correctly, but, regardless, I think it's important to consider practicality when designing a GUI.
    I summarized why I think Coverflow is more practical in my original post. The front of the box never faces away from the viewer, and there are more choices on screen at a time, so it's easy to pick out the desired game when scrolling quickly.

The sense behind this thread... well I guess I mainly just wanted to see what other people thought.

I mean if someone makes a GUI like that then that's great. If there is demand for it, no one has any reason to complain when someone creates it. I'm not trying to whine or anything. It's just that my personal opinion is that there are better options for us.

16. mestapho

Member mestapho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I like this one better than the Nintendo starlight if it could be used with the usbloader.

17. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

That one's also a good one. Except after a while I think I'd get tired of that box opening animation and try to tell the thing to start the game instead of showing me some fancy animation first. =P

18. Dinoguy

Member Dinoguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    AMAZING! But it would double the pictures needed ,though its still awesome.

About the Nintendo GUI
    Hello? It's for kids in the hospital that are spending a long time in their,its suppose to look nice so on that part its great its also suppose reflect of of nintendo so it has to LOOK professional, even if it doesn't act proffesional.I don't hate it but its not the best.

19. eric_4_life

Member eric_4_life GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Since when does Nintendo have an HD?

20. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The Nintendo World store uses hard drives so employees don't have to keep putting in discs.

Personally, I think Nintendo's interface could be a bit better, but I do like it (a bit). I really dislike the games being at a slant (it irks me, don't ask why). Cover Flow would be real spiffy, but knowing how sue-happy Apple can get... [​IMG]