Hardware Am I the only one disturbed by this 1 Wii U controller design feature?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I haven't heard but a few other people on the internet make note of this, but...

wii_flaw.png

Am I the only one seriously bothered by this? Yeah, I know, this is just a prototype that's subject to change, but as it is, there's no way to speculate whether or not that will happen. I can just imagine it being extremely awkward to play games using both analog sticks. I can just imagine the in-game tutorial telling me "press the A button to *action*, and me accidentally forgetting and hitting the X or Y button instead. :blink:

What do you guys think?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm more disturbed over the use of nubs over sticks.
Eh, that's another issue. lol. Though I'm still on the fence about it... look up some actual prototype photos on Google image search, and they actually look sorta raised and have more travel room, compared to the 3DS circle pad. Can't really tell from the stock concept picture, though.

I-Fatman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was at first but then they said you can use it as a handheld also, if someone wants to watch TV you could say "Just a sec" *click* Done! And you can continue your game and no one is complaining. :D

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still dont understand whats so bad about the sliders. They already said they have more friction and IMO much better for 3D platforming and control.
Also, thats not really anything new. I mean the CCP and PS3 Controller both also had a controller where the sticks were out of the way. All this is is making them higher, it would make sense since the controller is MUCH bigger then a standard one and so the sticks need to be closer to the top for shooters.

Reactions: 3 people

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
they look very comfortable actually.
also it's a tablet so they won't have the same positioning as a regular controller, they have obviously gone for the optimal feel and look.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, that's another issue. lol. Though I'm still on the fence about it... look up some actual prototype photos on Google image search, and they actually look sorta raised and have more travel room, compared to the 3DS circle pad. Can't really tell from the stock concept picture, though.
wii-u-joystick-550-pic-rm-timn.jpg
They look fine to me.

Dat size. I can see Apple suing them for the touch though lol. "It looks so much like our iPad! Just with more buttons! Lets sue em!"
1) It isn't that big compare to the iPad.
2) It not even the same kinda touch, so even as a joke, it still doesn't make sense.
3) :P

@OP
Yes, yes you are.

Reactions: 2 people

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am more disturbed by how big it is, the touchscreen, and honestly every single damn thing about it.
Nintendo, just stop all the annoying gimmicks already and just go back to the tried and true way to control a video game character.
A controller
gallery_202697_985_7662.png

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I am more disturbed by how big it is, the touchscreen, and honestly every single damn thing about it.
Nintendo, just stop all the annoying gimmicks already and just go back to the tried and true way to control a video game character.
A controller
It won't be gimmicky unless a developer makes it so.

The controller has the standard buttons like the gamecube, but it also adds to that by giving you the ability to play a game on just the controller, bringing a better splitscreen alternative, faster menus and quick selections, it can double as a chat system with a screen keyboard for certain games, it can give you a Castlevania DS like map/stats etc.
There are so many useful possibilities for this, it can bring us software titles that previously only were possible on a system like the DS, like professor Layton or the drawing app colors 3D.
It's not only for touch minigames like some people think.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm really looking forward to it. Being able to swap from the TV to the screen is a HUGE feature for me, especially since I've got kids. "Daddy, can I watch cartoons?" "Sure, just hold on." *switch* "There ya go, kiddo."

Before, that conversation would have gone, "Daddy, can I watch cartoons?" "Sure, just hold on." *four hours later with no save point* "Daddy?" "ZZZZZzzzzz......"

I'm sure whatever layout they set up on it, we'll all get used to it. We had to when control sticks first came out, and we got used to the Wii remote and Nunchuck. Mankind is adaptable. We'll be fine. ^_^

EDIT: Just noticed this...
psvita_1.jpg

wii-u-controller-press-1307466616.jpg

Yeah, we'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 people

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A controller

The controller has the standard buttons like the gamecube, but it also adds to that by giving you the ability to play a game on just the controller, bringing a better splitscreen alternative, faster menus and quick selections, it can double as a chat system with a screen keyboard for certain games, it can give you a Castlevania DS like map/stats etc, there are so many useful possibilities for this, it can bring us software titles that previously only were possible on a system like the DS, like professor Layton or the drawing app colors 3D.
And in most cases, very few developers use the feature properly.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

The controller has the standard buttons like the gamecube, but it also adds to that by giving you the ability to play a game on just the controller, bringing a better splitscreen alternative, faster menus and quick selections, it can double as a chat system with a screen keyboard for certain games, it can give you a Castlevania DS like map/stats etc, there are so many useful possibilities for this, it can bring us software titles that previously only were possible on a system like the DS, like professor Layton or the drawing app colors 3D.
And in most cases, very few developers use the feature properly.
That's true but at least we know that quick item selection and playing the entire game on a controller are things that are very easy to implement according to developers, unlike motion controls.
I think that although the majority of devs won't do anything "revolutionary" with it's functions at least some things will undoubtedly get implemented.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I agree that the position is quite unfortunate. The main focus for the right hand should be function buttons, not the slider thus the buttons should be positioned at the level of the slider on the left side - Nintendo wanted to be artsy and went with the symmetrical setup of sliders which may cause initial confusion. I will reserve my judgement until I actually play on one and I am willing to overlook this flaw if the controller will be otherwise comfortable. I think I could get used to the layout.

@[member='Eerpow']

Motion controls are not hard to implement, it's a simple case of a moving axis, well, three to be exact. Not rocket science, it just takes time to create a comfortable setup for such controls.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we just need to wait and see, Nintendo has expressed interest in scrapping the 1 controller idea for 2 hopefully they'll up to 4 being how powerful the system will be, though I can't really see the power of the system determining how many controllers it has.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='Eerpow']

Motion controls are not hard to implement, it's a simple case of a moving axis, well, three to be exact. Not rocket science, it just takes time to create a comfortable setup for such controls.
What I of course mean is good use of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi