am i screwed?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by satanishere, May 26, 2011.

May 26, 2011

am i screwed? by satanishere at 2:24 AM (1,203 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. satanishere
    OP

Newcomer satanishere Advanced Member

United States
    I have a Wii that was on 3.1 and running the HBC and what not. I updated the wii to 4.3 via the nintendo updater as I was going to re-do everything with smash stack. Prior to installing the HBC on 3.1 (this was done less than a year ago), smash brothers worked fine. after the update I popped in smash brothers and it cannot read the game disc, all other games that I tried worked fine, but none of them are dual layer as far as i know. the disc is not damaged. so I used the wii lens cleaner and tried again. nothing. then I restored everything to factory defaults via the option in the wii settings menu and sent it off to nintendo for repairs. they said they found evidence of hacking (i assumed this would have been removed during the update/restore to defaults process but whatever) and they would not repair the wii and they would send it back to me. so I got the wii back from nintendo and tried cleaning the lens again then tried smash brothers again. nothing. I did take a nand backup of the wii when it was in its 3.1 state if that matters. I am in Japan so I do not really have access to the lego games as they are rarely ever brought over. any suggestions?

2. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    You'll need another game.

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    or an infectus + nand dump + skillz

or some other modchip then a burned copy of another game

4. mauifrog

United States
    If you had cioscorp installed on the wii, you where loading backups from the disc channel without a backup loader, you can load a retail game from the disc channel and then swap to a modified disc with MMM or hackmii installer on it. Do you think you had cioscorp?

5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Assuming that DVD of Smash bros brawl is legitimate and working (yes, I read the part where you said it was working on 3.1), installing another drive should also work to get the game to work.

Oh, and obviously: the game and the wii need to be of the same region, so buying a Japanese exploitable game to use on a US-wii isn't going to do much (in case you are from Japan, please change your flag...the way it is, everyone will assume you're just an American on vacation).

Finally: I know it's too late for you, but we could have told you that in advance: your warranty expires if you do any hacking. Even if the problem is in no way related to the hack itself. And finally: yees, there will always be traces of the homebrew left after trying to virginize it (giantpune's ohneswanzenegger program may be an exception, but I don't plan to test it).

6. satanishere
    OP

United States
    well the lego games are out. they are not sold in japan. looks like my only other option is

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Eri_HaKawai

maybe.

7. satanishere
    OP

United States

no cioscorp that i can recall.

8. satanishere
    OP

United States
    I am an american living in japan at the moment. currently I only have access to things on the japanese market. the wiis i have are both japanese wiis. the smash bros is a legit copy. what i am worried about is if nintendo detects those traces that are left over after you update then blocks smash bros from running because they know what you intend to do. i tested the game on a second wii that was hacked and it did not work either and that wii is considerably newer than the problem unit.

I know that hacking voids the warranty, what i didnt know when i sent it to them was that even after a reset and what not that there would be things remaining on the wii. anyhow, will the tales of symphonia exploit work with a japanese version of the game?

edit: looks like there is a version of the hack for the japanese wii. i have purchased the game. will update the thread when i test it out.

9. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    That means it was probably a scratched disc, not to mention all other games work. You don't need to update to rehack (because crap like this can happen and it makes hacking harder anyway), you just rehack it and old stuff is overwritten.

Oh, and by sending it to Nintendo, you may not be able to play disc backups anymore, since they sometimes swap the drive out, even if it is unrelated.

10. satanishere
    OP

United States
    I was only using games that i had backed up to my hard drive, i never burned any of my games. The disc isn't scratched. that was the first thing i checked.

11. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Well something is wrong with it if all other games work fine. Anything from bending it to leaving it near a bright light/sun light can damage a disc.

It's good that you have a USB drive. I was saying that backup discs and DVD movies probably aren't an option anymore.

12. mauifrog

United States
    In region retail game exploits for Jap.
    YU-GI-OH 5D Wheelie Breaker game- YU-GI-OWNED! or YU-GI-VAH
    Lego Star Wars complete saga game- jaba haxx or return of the jodi
    Lego Batman game- Bat Haxx
    Super Smash bros brawl- Smash stack

Out of region burned game exploits-
    or a modchip + compatible dvd drive + Disc Swap PWNS or Mario Kart PWNS + out of region game exploit that will load on Jap language setting. Out of region SSBB does not work on Jap, many of the other will via swap disc.

Those are your options

13. satanishere
    OP

United States
    something is wrong, but not necessarily with the game itself. there are reports all over the internet and even on nintendos support page about SSBB not working on wiis.

i dont like hard copies of anything, it sucks that i have to buy the games and back them up to a hard drive. you would think that these companies would catch on to what their customers prefer and would develop based on that, but that doesn't help their profits.

14. satanishere
    OP

United States
    I just noticed the yu-gi-vah thing on the site, i totally missed the smaller writing for that one. after taking a second look, the only lego game that has actually made it to japan is lego star wars. lego indiana jones and lego batman have not made it to the japanese market. you left out tales of symphonia, but i am guessing thats because i already mentioned it. i should get the game tomorrow, maybe today if i am lucky. i am hoping it works, the wii reads all other (read:non DL discs) just fine, so hopefully its just a bum laser/dvd drive on the wii that is causing the wii not to read SSBB. As I have no other DL games to test it with (such as some of the metroid games) I can't confirm it at the point. right now I will just keep my fingers crossed for tales of symphonia to work.

15. satanishere
    OP

United States
    got the game today, trying to run the hack but everytime i go to status and click on the giantpune monster the game freezes and it doesnt load into bootmii. anyone have any ideas?

edit:nm, it turns out it doesnt work on the version of the game i got, which was the cheapened one due to sales (greatest hits version i suppose). gonna grab a copy of yu-gi-oh.

edit2:just ordered yu-gi-oh. will update when i get the game and try it out.

16. satanishere
    OP

United States
    ok, i got a copy of the older version of tales of whatever and its working again. phew. thanks for all your help guys!