Am i screwed

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Painguy, Jun 11, 2009.

Jun 11, 2009

Am i screwed by Painguy at 7:37 PM (1,062 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Painguy
    OP

Member Painguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I bought a launch wii, and one month later artifacts appeared. I called Nintendo and they said they could repair it, but i never went to get it repaired. Now i want to fix it again, my warranty is still valid, but the one issue keeping me from sending in my wii is that i softmodded it. That said i am aware that the artifacts are caused by a overheating gpu so is it possible to solve this issue by buying a external fan? I noticed on cold days that their are no artifacts while on hot days there are. Are the fans extremely loud or quite. I do not want my wii to be louder than the game's audio just like my 360 is lol. I might even buy 2. one that goes on the back and another that is built into a stand for the wii. Is it true that because my wii is overheating it is gradually deteriorating, and might no longer work. Will the fans stop this or just delay my wiis death. Should i return my wii to virgin state, send it in, get it repaired, then softmod it again? Fans or virgin, repair, and rehack?

2. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    it is true that if ur wii keeps on overheating then it will atop working gradually and one day it will explode

i think u should get fans

3. Painguy
    OP

United States
    explode? lol. so i should just get fans and forget going virgin? does the fans stop the detrioration?

4. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my old wii got artifacts.........dont watch movies on them.....it really heats it up. my new wii, I took a fan off a computer power supply and put it on the bottom to push air through it. I know it helps because I use to always get that warm spot on the left side near the bottom.....not anymore. Its either put up with the noise or burn another one up. oh, and after I got artifacts I didnt want to part with my 3.2 hbc wii and over about 6 weeks it finally got worse and worse, no matter how cool I kept it. I chipped my new one....and installed the fan....so far so good. and I just deleted my hbc channel off and formatted the memory on mine.........left all the tickets.....they sent me a new one for free and it was 2 months out of warranty

5. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada

sarcasm in the explode but fans should help
    notce how i said should

6. houseonfire

Member houseonfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you are really into it, you could liquid cool it.

Or you could pop it open and replace the thermal paste between the GPU and heatsink.

7. jackdanielchan

Member jackdanielchan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Are the artifacts, look like broken up "System files corrupt"? If they are, and appear everytime you turn on your Wii then you've just bricked your console, I did that to mine by accident. This happened when I tried installing ios60 (moddified) after updating to 4.0, if you have preloader or Bootmii, just hold restart, boot the Homebrew Channel, and downgrade your console to whatever System Menu you desire.

If they are different artifacts however, please take a picture and show them to us. Fans however, don't seem like a bad idea.

8. Painguy
    OP

United States
    So reformatting the wii basically gets it to virgin state? If thats the case then ill format it and get it repaired then soft mod it again. correct me if im wrong because i dont want to get a new LU65 wii. I cant get another wii right now because i already spent 800 on an HD camera. If i shouldn't send it in should i install a fan? how big should the fan be because the wii is already extremely compact,a nd what about the thermal gel. sry for all the questions. if there is a tutorial for these things id rly appreciate a link.