Hacking Am I screwed? PS3 Hard drive question

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, after seeing everyone mentioning that large hard drives can be used to store ISO files for ps3, I got a 4TB drive thinking that would be a better solution than a 2tb since it was only $20 more. When I have the drive plugged in as NTFS, it does not seem to be recognized in multiman, irisman, or webman. The drive light is on and I can hear it working but no luck getting anything to show up.

Am I out of luck here? How can I make this usable? If I try to use FAT32, I cannot use the entire 4TB to my understanding. The hard drive is a WD Easy Store 4TB hard drive. I would prefer to have it NTFS to work around the 4gb file size limits but at this point making this entire 4tb drive useable is my main concern. Any suggestions?

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prepntfs? Multiman has it
ahh yes I have used this and still no luck getting anything to show up in any of those 3 programs. Is it possible the drive is not getting enough power and may need to use a Y cable? The light is on and I hear it spinning but no luck with getting the drive to show up any where.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it is external it wont support 4TB.

Format the drive and create a 3TB partition.

But then again why are you using NTFS when you can split large game files and MM will join them when you select the game.

Last edited by ,

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is an external hard drive. I was going to use NTFS because you cannot use more than 2 TB for fat 32 to my knowledge. I would like to have the whole drive readable and it seems other people have had success doing so?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is an external hard drive. I was going to use NTFS because you cannot use more than 2 TB for fat 32 to my knowledge. I would like to have the whole drive readable and it seems other people have had success doing so?
only by splitting the partition and using the above that the other user mentioned.

when partitioning the drive make sure you format using the right cluster sizes, you could say partition 1x3TB and 1x1TB, use the 3TB for games with files larger than 4GB and the 1TB partition for games with files under 4GB.

or personally i just format my entire drive as FAT32, any files larger than 4GB i split them.

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so one way or the other this drive can be formatted in a way to have all the space useable? I am really only concerned with getting the space out of it. How would you format it all to fat 32? That would make it easier but I keep seeing only 2TB is possible for Fat32.

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ok, so one way or the other this drive can be formatted in a way to have all the space useable? I am really only concerned with getting the space out of it. How would you format it all to fat 32? That would make it easier but I keep seeing only 2TB is possible for Fat32.
Split it. Simply creae 2 partitions

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a Sata Y-connector and my ps3 never recognized the drive until I used a HDD Bay. I think it could have been extra power or the ps3 just formatted the drive when I swapped HDDs.

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I should format the drive into 2 partitions then? Is it possible to have the entire 4tb be one fat 32 partition? Or would it be best to do 3tb ntfs and 1tb fat 32. Or should I do 2 partitions both fat 32? How will the PS3 see the 2nd partition or is that not a problem?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I should format the drive into 2 partitions then? Is it possible to have the entire 4tb be one fat 32 partition? Or would it be best to do 3tb ntfs and 1tb fat 32. Or should I do 2 partitions both fat 32? How will the PS3 see the 2nd partition or is that not a problem?

That is not a problem, I would just do two 2TB NTFS Partitions and make sure the drive is using MBR, not GPT for partition table.

you can do either NTFS or FAT32, just make sure the drive is MBR, since a 4TB HDD is by default GPT partition table. Any decent formatting utility can change that.

I use AOMEI or EaseUS partition manager to format stuff as either of them can handle formatting FAT32 over 32GB and can change a drive to or from GPT.

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is such crap, I cannot format this thing more than 2TB on either NTFS or FAT32. It wants to leave the rest unallocated. Then if I try to use the rest for a 2nd partition I Get like 20 gb to use on the 2nd partition and over 1tb just sitting there unused. Why is this so picky? I have never had issues like this hard drive is giving me....

I have tried Easeus, Aomel, and miniaid and each one is giving me the same crap. I did someone get the unallocated 4tbs worth showing as MBR somehow... but not doing me any good if I cannot split these partitions.

Apparently I can get 2 fat 32 partitions in GPT but then cannot convert them to MBR... It keeps saying 2tb is the max

Guess this was a waste

Last edited by Ohgr,

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What tools did you guys use to do this? Not sure why I am having such a hard time. I do have another 4tb hard drive I ordered. This was going to be for my ps4 but wanted to try to use it on the ps3. The other one is a Seagate 4tb maybe that will have better luck.

WD is apparently a pile of junk, I cannot do anything on this. How are people getting 1 fat32 drive out of this. Then others are able to split into 2 - 2tb fat32 drives. No partition software will let me touch the other 2tbs after I create one fat 32 2tb partition.

Last edited by Ohgr,

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, another test failed. I tried to make a single 900 gb partition for fat 32 set as primary 32 cluster size. Still cannot get this hard drive to show up in Irisman, Webman, or Multiman. I tried my Y cable to see if maybe it was a power issue. Still nothing. WHAT THE HELL ><

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously I cannot get any damn hard drive to work. I have bought 2 different hard drives now and cannot format them in a way the ps3 will read them. I have a 4TB WD Easy store and a 4TB Seagate Expansion portable drive. If I make the drive MBR which I hear is what I need, then I can only use 2TB of space max. I have tried this and used a fat 32 with 32 cluster size on both drives. I have tried GPT format and doing 1.8TB partitions of Fat 32. This did not work either. I have tried connecting both drives to a Y cable to see if the power was the issue. NONE of this has worked. Neither drive will show up in multiman, webman, or irisman. Can ANYONE help? This is so frustrating. Below are the drives I got. IS THERE ANYWAY to make this work?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...able-hard-drive-black/5792405.p?skuId=5792405

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178817

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just read that there are a lot of issues with USB 3.0 drives on the ps3. Wish I read that sooner. Is it possible that a USB hub might work for me as I see it has worked for others

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone? What is the issue? If these just won't work can someone tell me a large hard drive that will.. How are people getting their drives setup?

Lmaokernel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone? What is the issue? If these just won't work can someone tell me a large hard drive that will.. How are people getting their drives setup?
I thought the ps3 couldn't read from drives over 3TB and it has to be self powered. Making a 3tb partition on your 4tb I think would work. My drives are usb 2.0 though so maybe that's why

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

Last edited by Lmaokernel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.