Am I out of luck? (Save files after A9LH)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by KHSebastian, Oct 4, 2016.

1. KHSebastian
    OP

KHSebastian Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2009
    United States
    I just ran through Plailects on an O3DS coming from 10.7, and everything went smooth, but when I finished, all eShop titles were missing from the home screen. I checked the shop and the games were marked as downloaded. When I checked in the data manager, they showed up, but grayed out. The only one I'm really concerned with is Pokemon Y.

I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it, and this got the title to show up, but did not retain the save data, which is pretty much what I expected.

I have a NAND backup from before i installed A9LH. I think I should be able to restore that NAND backup, inject FBI and install SaveDataFiler, extract the save, and then reload my current NAND and restore that save, without having to do anything else. Is that logic sound? And is there any way to do that with less steps?

2. FTRBND

FTRBND waifu

Apr 3, 2016
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    _____________ Dex: Complete
    Nand backups are only System backups, they do not have your games on them :/
    You should've extracted the save data first and then reinstalled.
    If you still have a copy of your Nintendo 3DS folder before uninstalling the game, place it on your sd card and extract the save files using JKSM

3. KHSebastian
    OP

KHSebastian Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2009
    United States
    Oh. Okay, awesome. I did grab a backup of the folder first as well. I'll give that a shot. Thank you!

4. Inochi.no.Zenmai

Inochi.no.Zenmai GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    I think your chances go through restoring the old "Nintendo 3DS" folder that you had on your SD card and (I'm not sure, only try it if what axewfious recommended doesn't work) restoring your old NAND backup. Do it with Hourglass9 so you can keep A9LH installed.

5. KHSebastian
    OP

KHSebastian Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2009
    United States
    Alright, so stupid question. I loaded the old Nintendo 3DS folder onto the SD card and I can navigate and find the .sav file for the title ID. I'm not sure exactly how this is supposed to work. When importing from SD on JKSM it asks you to select a folder, not a file, and I'm not sure what exactly it's looking for.

There are two folders, 00040000 and 0004000e, and they both have a 0005e00 folder (which should be the folder for Pokemon Y). The one in 00040000 has a 'content' and a 'data' folder. I tried restoring just 00040000/0005e00 and I tried restoring 00040000/0005e00/content, but both just showed up corrupted. Am I missing something?

Last edited by KHSebastian, Oct 4, 2016
  6. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    You can't decrypt save files if the title is not installed/not working. (Maybe decrypt9 is able to but I would bet it's not)

You just can't mess around with the Nintendo 3ds folder and replace files. The games are written into a database titles.db and if the title is missing it won't magically appear on home screen. Also Pokémon uses a seed written in nand to make sure you can't backup/restore a save file (it is compared with the seed in the save file. If they don't match the game will tell you the save is corrupt). Most savemanager will set the seed to zero when restoring a save.

You need to restore a nand backup with the game AND save working. After that you can use any savemanager you want to make a decrypted backup of the save.

If your game works and your save appears corrupted then just delete the secret seed of the game with bbm/sdf/whatever tool. After that the save should work again. Btw the encrypted save is 00000000.sav (or similar)

Last edited by GothicIII, Oct 4, 2016
  7. clancy94

clancy94 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 18, 2008
    Does this work for Galaxy saves aswell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Do what @Inochi.no.Zenmai said. Restore your original NAND backup with hourglass9 and place the original "Nintendo 3DS" folder on your SD card. All your games and saves will be back. You can just keep that NAND and update it.