Hacking Am I better off hacking my 360 myself or buying one already hacked?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For a long time, I was put off hacking my 360 because it seems to depend on getting the right console, right dashboard and still needing to purchase equipment so I put it off and just ended up buying the games second hand. Now I feel like I want to try again with the main reason being I want to rip the games to HDD and play them without having to keep finding the discs but also for XBLA games. By this point, would I be better off buying one pre-modded or try and attempt it myself or has there been any major advancements in the 360 modding scene?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you got a phatty and have a bit of soldering skills, I'd say RGH it.
If you don't care about Live anymore then it's more then certainly worth it!

rgjr77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've flashed some drives rather easily. I could then play backups fine and save them to my HD. If you know a bit about pcs i'd give it a shot. I havent rgh'd or jtag'd anything simply because I cant solder for poo.... I did however buy an older jasper modded one, found it rather cheap on ebay.

itchyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably $40 worth of components to RGH it yourself so if you can find one that is less than a new one + $40 then buy that instead.

If you do decide to try it make sure the nand dump goes well. Those are the easy solder points. If you don't get the nand dump then quit at that point!

RaptorDMG

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also look to see if theres anywhere nearby that will install the rgh for you as I went to a guys house paid him £50 and he installed an rgh for me and I picked it up the next day

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there are a few shops in the UK where you can take your xbox 360 and they will install a RGH mod, along with Xex menu and freestyle dash, I paid about £60 a few years ago.

Last edited by JoeBloggs777,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately, I think there's little interest. however, they did provide a hacked dash for the latest dash kernel. it was quite a while before the dash prior to that. it only took them a matter of days for this one. afaik, the dash only updated the terms of service. lol however, they still released a hacked dash for that version. there are still people doing things in the 360 scene, but not much is going on that's actually new. I think it's safe to say that an rgh does everything that one could want (minus live), so there's not much point finding a software solution. I think microsoft did a hell of a lot better job software wise than sony or else there would be. ;)

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Well atm you can buy a rgh for about the same price as a used stock console (price will fluctuate on demand on eBay), if you already have a console if you had to buy the solder, iron, flux, wire, cpld, lpt port, this would be around 40 bucks since you can do with a 10-15w iron, add around 20 if you just buy a USB flasher, wiring isn't difficult just be patient take time and have still hands. If you own a soldering iron, solder and flux, wire (https://goo.gl/yo9n1B) , cpld ( https://goo.gl/anA4xf), with cost of wire, cpld and lpt port around 20 bucks, 30 if you use a USB flasher

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
Better off hacking yourself.
I did it for under £20 (Already have a soldering iron), I'd recommend the following method via R-JTOP(R-JTAG), you'll need the following:

• Cool runner Rev C
  • Matrix SPI Nand flasher
  • 3.3v Zener diode
  • 3x 100 ohm resistors
  • 2x 10K resistor
  • 2x BC547B transistor

Here's some tips:
  • Get a glue gun to hold the wires down because the tiny solder points VERY easily rip off under tension
  • Don't use a overly cheap soldering iron (The tips are garbage and die quick)
  • Be VERY cautious with the wires and tiny solder points (I know I've said it but I can't stress enough how important it is)
  • If you can buy a fine soldering wire that's not thick (This will make it easier soldering those tiny points)
  • Get FLUX it helps keep all those joints well and flowing properly.
  • Sometimes and in my case the Matrix nand flasher will report in J-Runner it's failed to write to xyz block, ignore it (It actually has written).

Cost break down of parts:
  • 10x 3.3v Zener diode £1
  • 5x BC547B transistors £1.20
  • Matrix NAND flasher £6.50
  • Assortment of resistors £3-£5
  • Cool runner Rev C £5
TOTAL: £16.70 - £18.70

Just do the following:
  • Install aud_clamp (Just google it and if you use the BC547B transistors ensure flat side IS facing GPU heatsink)
  • Modify the Matrix SPI flasher to program the Rev C & Read nand: [LINK]
  • Program the Cool runner Rev C with the R-JTOP files (I can provide links to falcon and jasper files via DM and compile for others)
  • Extract the 360 NAND (Ensure console is PLUGGED IN but NOT POWERED ON)
  • Create Xell reloaded image (Make sure in J-Runner you select JTAG then tick Aud_Clamp and R-JTAG)
  • Install CR RevC and start console
  • Copy down your CPU key and make the XeBuild image for your console dash
  • Write the built file to your NAND and enjoy.

Last edited by TariqSoftDev,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Better off hacking yourself.
I did it for under £20 (Already have a soldering iron), I'd recommend the following method via R-JTOP(R-JTAG), you'll need the following:

• Cool runner Rev C
  • Matrix SPI Nand flasher
  • 3.3v Zener diode
  • 3x 100 ohm resistors
  • 2x 10K resistor
  • 2x BC547B transistor

Here's some tips:
  • Get a glue gun to hold the wires down because the tiny solder points VERY easily rip off under tension
  • Don't use a overly cheap soldering iron (The tips are garbage and die quick)
  • Be VERY cautious with the wires and tiny solder points (I know I've said it but I can't stress enough how important it is)
  • If you can buy a fine soldering wire that's not thick (This will make it easier soldering those tiny points)
  • Get FLUX it helps keep all those joints well and flowing properly.
  • Sometimes and in my case the Matrix nand flasher will report in J-Runner it's failed to write to xyz block, ignore it (It actually has written).

Cost break down of parts:
  • 10x 3.3v Zener diode £1
  • 5x BC547B transistors £1.20
  • Matrix NAND flasher £6.50
  • Assortment of resistors £3-£5
  • Cool runner Rev C £5
TOTAL: £16.70 - £18.70

Just do the following:
  • Install aud_clamp (Just google it and if you use the BC547B transistors ensure flat side IS facing GPU heatsink)
  • Modify the Matrix SPI flasher to program the Rev C & Read nand: [LINK]
  • Program the Cool runner Rev C with the R-JTOP files (I can provide links to falcon and jasper files via DM and compile for others)
  • Extract the 360 NAND (Ensure console is PLUGGED IN but NOT POWERED ON)
  • Create Xell reloaded image (Make sure in J-Runner you select JTAG then tick Aud_Clamp and R-JTAG)
  • Install CR RevC and start console
  • Copy down your CPU key and make the XeBuild image for your console dash
  • Write the built file to your NAND and enjoy.
i would also add that if you're paying the cheapest prices, to know that shipping time is measured in weeks to months, since they use the cheapest (slow) shipping method. so the more patient you are the less you need to pay.....if you're willing to do the time per se lmao..
plus prices listed may fluctuate based on your location and demand of said parts....plus you can program only glitchers with matrix flasher which are using a xc2c32a or a xc2c64a chip, of such are the matrix glitcher v1 -v3, cr3 lite, cr rev c/d... the x360 ace and the TX DGX/RGX, use a xc2c128

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
I am actually think of RGH'ing a few XBox consoles and was shocked to see how cheaper the boards are nowadays (x360 Run and X360ACE are like £3!!!) my question is whats the cheapest nand program you can get now a days???

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks.

So the 360 E console which have the winchester boards, are they still unable to be RGH'd and can the JR programmers be used on the 4GB Coronas?

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, damn so i guess im not going to know if the 3 xbox consoles i have here are 4GB or 16MB nands then without opening them up first and whats the betting there all not going to be the same type, so ideally im going to need both a SD R/W kit and JR Programmer?

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
Also look to see if theres anywhere nearby that will install the rgh for you as I went to a guys house paid him £50 and he installed an rgh for me and I picked it up the next day

there are a few shops in the UK where you can take your xbox 360 and they will install a RGH mod, along with Xex menu and freestyle dash, I paid about £60 a few years ago.

Wow you fellas paid that much? A lad local to me does them for £20 he did mine as i can't solder at all. Even sticks a few games and mod menus on if you like although i just wanted the chip installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over