Am I being too cautious with video card usage?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Pedeadstrian, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    My computer is one I put together, and it's great. It runs everything well, but since it's the only one I have, I've been babying it. I try to keep my video card's temperature less than or equal to 50°C, just to make sure it lasts as long as possible. It's a pretty good one (but not great), Sapphire 7850 OC 2GB, and it has a really strong fan. It's currently set to stay at 30% power until it gets to ~50°C (by default), and then ramps up from there. I could put the fan in manual mode and crank it up, but I don't want to wear it out.

I've been playing a lot of PCSX2, and I normally run it at 2x native, with max or near max AA and whatnot. Depending on the game, that puts it between 35-45°C, but if I try to put it on 3x native, it shoots up to over 50°C, and then the fan starts doing its magic. Am I being overly cautious? I want good graphics, but I also want system longevity.

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    You don't need to worry about GPU's temperature until it is over 75C. I have the same exact card (except it is not OC, just 7850 stock settings) and these cards run just fine.

If you want to offload GPU workload, select AVX instead of DirectX under PCSX2 graphics plugins.

3. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I keep mine at stock settings. My graphics card usually is at 63C.

4. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    The OC is a factory overclocking, so I think it's technically considered stock settings too. With max settings in most games(except for shadows because that greatly increases usage/temp) at 1080p, its temperature gets no hotter than 55°C.

I'm a hypochondriac, and since my computer is basically my life, I try not to do anything too dangerous. I'm glad to know I can play SMT: Nocturne at 3x native and not worry about my computer exploding.

5. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Relax, 55 degrees is really really really good. In 2 or 3 years from now, it'll be a tad higher doing the same stuff, but even then, it's no problem at all. If you take good care of it (clean out the dust every 6 months or so, make sure it's still all plugged in well), you're PC isn't going to explode any time soon!