Alternatives to Limewire

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been using Limewire for a few years now and I'm quite sick of it... I only use it dl mp3's but they're never in 320kbps quality which is what I'm after really.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Oh yeah, Virgin (the ISP) are supposed to be banning connections that use Limewire, and guess what I'm with Virgin, so is there a way I can download mp3's using P2P w/o Virgin knowing?

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want high quality music, go with torrents instead of Limewire or the like.
Private trackers are usually a plus, but you have to seed. You won't really find anything high quality on the gnutella network
tongue.gif

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is LimeWire fast?

Eh..
I use Ares.
You can set advanced Audio searches to only find ones equal to, greater than or less than a certain quality.
Sometimes for me it has problems connecting, but it's usually fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Ackers said:
TrolleyDave said:
You could always get a newsgroup account. Much harder to track what your doing, better speeds and many other reasons.
What's that and do you have to pay?

Here's the Wiki on it, it'll explain it alot better than me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup

Yep, you've gotta shell out around a fiver a month unfortunately, but it's well worth it for the extra speed and security.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Soulseek never let me down...
I never used Limewire, but Soulseek is simply amazing compared to eDonkey or older shit like Kazaa...
Unfortunately, it's only possible to download files from a single source at a time, but I'm usually still getting faster speeds than I did with eDonkey...When choosing a download, you can see the average u/l speed of the uploader and how many files he got in queue, which makes it easy to estimate how long a download is gonna take. What's also nice is that you can create and visit chatrooms (which usually are about a certain genre or style) and browse other user's shared files...

The real advantage, however, is that I was almost always able to find what I was looking for...But that depends on what you're looking for, I guess.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vater Unser said:
Soulseek never let me down...
I never used Limewire, but Soulseek is simply amazing compared to eDonkey or older shit like Kazaa...
Unfortunately, it's only possible to download files from a single source at a time, but I'm usually still getting faster speeds than I did with eDonkey...When choosing a download, you can see the average u/l speed of the uploader and how many files he got in queue, which makes it easy to estimate how long a download is gonna take. What's also nice is that you can create and visit chatrooms (which usually are about a certain genre or style) and browse other user's shared files...

The real advantage, however, is that I was almost always able to find what I was looking for...But that depends on what you're looking for, I guess.
Ares has all those features too, never used Soulseek
And eDonkey and even the eDonkey inspired eMule were INCREDIBLY BAD.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I migrated to Frostwire just to see if there are any differences besides the "look". I don't know about the others but to me, Frostwire is faster and am happy to get rid of the tedious green look.

Also, try this. It searches MP3 files within Google. SiteAdvisor reports results as a bit unsafe but they offer album-like quality MP3s.

miketh2005

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't even use any P2P, or warez, it's illegal, and you can go to jail for it. It's much better to but the song on itunes and support the person(s) who made it, you wouldn't want your favorite band / singer to not make music anymore because everyone was getting it illegally would you? Anyway, if it's a free song, just download it from Youtube, I usally get good quality if you get the right person....

To download from Youtube:

1. Replace the "youtube" in the URL to "voobys".

2. This will direct you to Voobys, which is a site where you can download the movie file.

3. Download.

4. You'll get a file named get_video with no extension, what I usally do is rename it to the song name and put .swf as the extension. Then you have to get a video converter to convert to .mp3.

It seems like a long process but it's really not. You have to avoid the fake files on P2Ps anyway. The whole proccess usally takes 5 minutes for the most for me, including downloading the music.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just downloaded Ares and it's looks really promising so far, it's already making Limewire look like crap, but it's stuck on "Connecting".
frown.gif

miketh2005: I bought the The Singles album by Feeder as I definitely would like to support this band. I just download the odd song from different bands using Limewire... I know it's illegal but what ever. You download ROMs don't you?

Son of Science

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
miketh2005 said:
Don't even use any P2P, or warez, it's illegal, and you can go to jail for it. It's much better to but the song on itunes and support the person(s) who made it, you wouldn't want your favorite band / singer to not make music anymore because everyone was getting it illegally would you? Anyway, if it's a free song, just download it from Youtube, I usally get good quality if you get the right person....

To download from Youtube:

1. Replace the "youtube" in the URL to "voobys".

2. This will direct you to Voobys, which is a site where you can download the movie file.

3. Download.

4. You'll get a file named get_video with no extension, what I usally do is rename it to the song name and put .swf as the extension. Then you have to get a video converter to convert to .mp3.

It seems like a long process but it's really not. You have to avoid the fake files on P2Ps anyway. The whole proccess usally takes 5 minutes for the most for me, including downloading the music.
Most artists don't care if you download illegaly... they make 95% of their money from tours, even if everyone bought music legally.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ackers said:
I just downloaded Ares and it's looks really promising so far, it's already making Limewire look like crap, but it's stuck on "Connecting".
frown.gif
Yeah, that's a common problem. It didn't used to happen...
unsure.gif

Try going into the Control Panel tab on ares, clicking disconnect and then clicking connect again.

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PaperPlane said:
Ackers said:
frown.gif
Yeah, that's a common problem. It didn't used to happen...
unsure.gif

Try going into the Control Panel tab on ares, clicking disconnect and then clicking connect again.
Tried that twice now to no avail - even tried restarting my comp. I had the same problem in Limewire, except about a couple of mins it just connected but with this, I can't get it to connect at all...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night