Alternatives to iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Mar 19, 2010.

Mar 19, 2010

Alternatives to iPod Touch? by Harsky at 5:26 PM (1,267 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Two years ago, I was in Hong Kong round a few months after the iPod Touch came out but for some reason, I chose a Cowon A3 which had a 60gb HDD and an ability to play video files without any need for converting. Fast forward to now and while the Cowon is still working, it's just too bulky to carry, hardly has any firmware updates and the fact that the iPod Touch has wifi is what's making me consider buying one now. But before I rush out and buy one, is there any other alternatives? Preferably one that has Wifi for quick email checks since I don't want to tie myself down to a contract mobile phone with 3G internet.

2. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Zune HD is a good alternative.

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I would think about getting a contract phone, I know it can be expensive and ties you down, but free internet absolutely anywhere!

4. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    It's not anywhere, and 3G internet isn't even that fast. 3G is only a little bit faster than dialup.

5. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Actually my uncle has a iPhone 3G. And I used the Speedtest.net on it and found out that its 3G is 350 KB/s. And its Kilobytes. Using AT&T.

6. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Then he's just in a good area. It's really not a good solid connection. Large cities and other "lucky" areas have good speed/connection, but its few and far between.

I'd also like to toss in my vote for the Zune HD. I don't have one. But i had a Zune30 and i LOVED it...until i cracked the screen. That was a sad day. I want a Zune HD.

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    What are you talking about? [​IMG] The 3G standard goes up to 14Mb/s, and the minimum rate should be 2Mb/s. However (quote) "there are no guarantees, so users sold 3G service may not be able to point to a standard and say that the rates it specifies are not being met." (/quote) Meaning, you might be getting the brown end of the stick here. [​IMG] However, in most cases, 3G is broadband.

8. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    I'll second this one. The ZuneHD, after having used an iPod Touch before, completely blows it out of the water. While it doesn't have the whole plethora of useless apps that the iPod's have, everything else about it is vastly superior. The video quality(even with .wmv's, it's not bad). And since it supports mp4 videos as well...well...yeah. And most likely .avi with the next update that's coming.

And as a fellow member who went from a Zune30 to a ZuneHD, I cast my vote as well.

If you want a good media player, get a ZuneHD. It's cheaper, and more bang for your buck. Just don't expect a craptonne of apps. The ones it has though, are good. Plus, the apps are of quality, and free.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

9. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    I'd say go for a Zune HD, too!

10. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

go for the ipod touch 3rd gen you can jailbreak it to get any app you want for free and get emulators like ps1 which can now run final fantasy 7 at a almost perfect speed but only on 3rd gen ipod touches theres a n64 emulator which is still being worked on, snes nes gba and some other ones.

So my vote is ipod touch 3rd gen(not 8gb because this is just a 2nd gen with the 3.1.2 firmware)

11. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Erm. He's asking (per the topic title) for alternatives to the iPod Touch. Unless the iPod Touch 3rd Gen is a good alternative to the iPod Touch. [​IMG]

12. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Zune HD is alright, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it from my experience. The OLED screen is great, and the UI is the smoothest I've ever used in any portable media device. However, the internet is mediocre in comparasion, the sound quality is meh, firmwares keep being delayed and the software is annoying.

Besides the Zune HD, there's the upcoming Cowon S9 successor, the Cowon J3. It won't have wifi, but we'll see how it is.

But since you're in Britain, I think the iPod Touch is the way to go.

13. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Samsung P3. I have the P2 and it was pretty good. P3 looks good from what it offers too. Thing is, although you don't want an iPod, you're missing out on a lot of awesome apps. As much as I don't want an iPod, I'm going to get it because it has many great apps. I'm talking about iPod Touch by the way.

I'd recommend this website as it's pretty much what you're looking for: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

Its where I go to get information about earphones, MP3's, etc. And as the website's title says, anything but iPod.

Here's their top 5 2009 list: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/20...ers-of-2009.php

But its always personal preference. I like my Samsung P2 but all the P2s had a common problem - the solder around the earphone jack comes off easily.

14. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    as others have said, 3g is fast, and you can always get 2g if you can't get 3g, that is somewhere close to dial up.

15. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    As much as everyone wants to recommend Zune HD, unfortunately it's still not available in the UK and I don't want to import it just in case something goes wrong and there's nowhere I can send it to.