ROM Hack Alternative Firmwares for the Original R4

Zidane24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if everyone could tell me the firmwares that can be ran on an original R4 (such as ysmenu). I was wanting to experiment with any others out there (if any at all)

Thanks!

PS Please move if wrong section

thiefraccoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zidane24 said:
I was wondering if everyone could tell me the firmwares that can be ran on an original R4 (such as ysmenu). I was wanting to experiment with any others out there (if any at all)

Thanks!

PS Please move if wrong section

there's dsion. might be outdated...
but GUI is very nice!

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Most are based of YSmenu. There's:
DSision2
Moonshell2
Sakura (if you only play homebrew)

I think Spinal made another menu that looked like the dsi gui but i don't quite know if it worked on r4.

Any news on Menudo recently?

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, clearly a flashcart firmware question hardly equates to a rom hacking topic, anyway:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=193749

M3Sakura can only play multimedia, not commercial roms, ie. Moonshell replacement option
The others mentioned, including DSCovered (DSision 3) found in homebrew section, all basically use YSMenu. You will also find a thread on getting Moonshell to play roms on the R4DS - it's gui is very similar to M3Sakura.

Menudo = Menudon't
ninja.gif
Better prepare yourself for the apocalypse, that's coming before any Menudo release.

xbrosss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use Ysmenu

i've got R4DS 1.18 and just installed the dual thing (ysmenu + 1.18c) and worked fine, now i can play Yu-Gi-oh! 2010

Downside: it hasn't been updated in about a year (actually in a week will be the abandon birthday)

http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/

ctrl+f this: 'DS(T_T)DS'

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
xbrosss said:
Downside: it hasn't been updated in about a year (actually in a week will be the abandon birthday)
YSMenu doesn't need to be updated - it does what it's supposed to.

If you mean game compatibility fixes then those come from the DSTT firmware that it uses, not from YSMenu itself.

ZackVee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
xbrosss said:
YSMenu doesn't need to be updated - it does what it's supposed to.

If you mean game compatibility fixes then those come from the DSTT firmware that it uses, not from YSMenu itself.

Said firmware hasn't been updated in 3 months.

Zidane24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
Well, clearly a flashcart firmware question hardly equates to a rom hacking topic, anyway:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=193749

M3Sakura can only play multimedia, not commercial roms, ie. Moonshell replacement option
The others mentioned, including DSCovered (DSision 3) found in homebrew section, all basically use YSMenu. You will also find a thread on getting Moonshell to play roms on the R4DS - it's gui is very similar to M3Sakura.

Menudo = Menudon't
ninja.gif
Better prepare yourself for the apocalypse, that's coming before any Menudo release.
No need to to be a smartellic...I am clearly new to the forum...

But on the plus side...this is a clear way to cause people that might be able to contribute to the site positively to go somewhere else
gbasp.gif

...with that out of the way...thanks guys for the recommendations. I did not know that the R4i firmware someone recommended would work.

Zidane24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post but one more question (if you will). YSMenu is merely a frontend with the DSTT firmware powering it. This DSTT firmware...is it updated often? Does it compare to other firmwares out right now (obviously they are others better (like AKAIO right now apparently) but I am wanting to get an idea).

The reason for these questions are for me to determine if getting a new flashcart is necessary yet; if the R4 is going to be updated through DSTT...then I probably won't go for a new one yet

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zidane24 said:
Sorry for the double post but one more question (if you will). YSMenu is merely a frontend with the DSTT firmware powering it. This DSTT firmware...is it updated often? Does it compare to other firmwares out right now (obviously they are others better (like AKAIO right now apparently) but I am wanting to get an idea).

The reason for these questions are for me to determine if getting a new flashcart is necessary yet; if the R4 is going to be updated through DSTT...then I probably won't go for a new one yet
DSTT firmware is all but dead...

It use to be maintained by ashley and a group of hackers... but he got upset that DSTT was taking it and releasing it as their own firmware (in essence, ashley stole the DSTT firmware, updated it and then released it).
Since ashley quit, there haven't been (m)any US games added.

Edgewalker_001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
An additional question, I just completed compiling my own Ysmenu fw following this guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=164359

I had one additional file left over in my Ysmenu folder after this was completed called "TTmenu.sys" am I supposed to delete this file or is this an indication that the extraction failed?

Also, is there any permanent risk to my card trying to run this? XD

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edgewalker_001 said:
An additional question, I just completed compiling my own Ysmenu fw following this guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=164359

I had one additional file left over in my Ysmenu folder after this was completed called "TTmenu.sys" am I supposed to delete this file or is this an indication that the extraction failed?It's not really 'extra'. The firmware will make the file on its own if it doesn't exist.
It's a good idea to NOT copy the file over when putting firmware on, and DELETING the file when you update the firmware.

QUOTE(Edgewalker_001 @ Mar 15 2010, 08:24 PM) Also, is there any permanent risk to my card trying to run this? XD
No.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Somewhat off-topic: what firmware works on the even-older M3 Simply? Does the current version of YSMenu work? I know the M3 Simply and R4 are kind of similar...

kokost

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm actually kind of curious as well. Do alternative firmwares work for R4 clones such as the M3 DS Simply? I've neglected to update when the M3 team took down that particular firmware from their download site. I didn't bother looking into new firmwares or alternatives until now with new games becoming incompatible with these older cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.